The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 31 of 71 (18,641 Views)
I did not know until this year that AARP was against negotiating prices on medication for Medicare patients. That tells me they are for big pharma instead of seniors. I doubt I renew my membership and have been a member since 1989.
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 71 (21,787 Views)

I have viewed the plan. I, too, question this company's plan. I have friends (more then one and different insurance companies all with the same costs) who have non-AARP Delta Dental plans and they don't have the costs that this company does. They pay no decutibles and when it comes to things like root canal's and crowns they pay only 20 % the insurance company pays 80%, but Delta pays only 50% and you the pay the rest with a deductible of a $100 on top of it, which would come to $800 for one tooth, instead of $280 at other places. Where is the savings?

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 71 (25,597 Views)

Thank you to you, and others here, expressing that the Delta AARP plan is worthless.  I came to the site to check AGAIN.  It sounds like it is a worse deal than the last time I checked.  It makes me wonder if AARP gets some kind of a kickback for offering such an expensive, horrible plan.  They are supposed to be fighting for their members.

Tedium
Info Seeker

Message 34 of 71 (26,837 Views)

I live in Oregon and pay $31 a month for Delta Dental through Moda.  When i joined AARP,, i saw they offered Delta Dental so i checked premium prices and was shocked at how much more they cost.

I have not joined AARP for many years prior to this for the simple fact that I remember that AARP was on the band wagon to not negotiate prices for prescriptions charged to Medicare patients.  This is so ridiculous.

If AARP touts itself as a help to seniors, so far I haven't seen it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 35 of 71 (29,841 Views)

"....I just received information on the AARP Dental Insurance Plan. Unbelievable. As a single person my premiums would be Almost $770 per month....".

I'm very confused. That would be more expensive than full medical coverage. I just priced Delta, in Illinois. For a single person, it's $35.84 a month. That's for the top-end plan. The average for dental insurance in this country is about $400 a YEAR.

There is no way that insurance is the price you quote.......

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 36 of 71 (30,853 Views)

I just received information on the AARP Dental Insurance Plan. Unbelievable. As a single person my premiums would be Almost $770 per month. With so many restrictions and deductibles not to mention the annual limit of any work done is $1500, this policy is ridiculous. No way would I go for this. If I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, it costs me about $160. That's all I really need, and if there's a major problem most likely I'd end up paying for most of it myself. AARP, you should get out into the real world and you would discover that this policy connected to your name is totally detrimental. No benefit to us. Just to Delta Dental who gets the exhorbitant premiums and pays out very little.  AARP you should be ashamed to be sponsoring such a poor insurance package.

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 71 (34,392 Views)

I am astonished at how poor the coverage is with AARP/Delta Dental.  I chose AARP because I'd had Delta Dental previously, and they paid well.  I worked for a Form with about 350 employees and the plan had been negotiated so that, on a $225 expense for a cleaning/periodic exam (I live in NYC where life is not cheap), I got reimbursed $160.  

Now, with AARP, for the same $225 cleaning, I get $70.  Considering the thousands of people the AARP plan has signed on, that this is th best they could do with their buying power is absurd.  And, by the way, I play exactly the same monthly ($70 and change) for AARP's coverage as I did with my employer' plan.

This stinks.  AARP's medical plans are good and I thought their dental coverage would have to be at least sort of good.  But it isn't.  It's a disgrace, and I can't help but think, a scam.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 71 (33,329 Views)

SueCincy wrote:

I can't imagine that your dentist would suggest a dental discount plan.  The dentist gets absolutely no benefit from such coverage other than a stream of potential customers willing to deal with inexperienced or just plain lousy dentists.  

I think the best approach is to take a coverage  list from some top-of-the line insurance to a dentist with a good reputation, ask if you can get these same prices if you pay cash, and then cut out the middleman.

Here is how he dental discount plans work. Just about all Dental Insurance Cos. use a net work to supply benefits. Some of this network is dentists they have signed up (cheapest price), some are through dental networks they sign agreements with (higher price), and lastly dentists out of all network's they offer (highest price, and not covered in some policies). What they do is offer a person the their discounted price at a reduced fee. The user pays 100% of the cost as the Carrier pays nothing. When the dentist calls the carrier to check on person coverage they are told to collect all costs from the Indv. at time of service. These discount plans do save the user money, and are mostly low income people. When the dentists signs on to a panel this is usually covered in the agreement. The dentists get a customer, and their normal fee amount only from the user not the carrier. It is a win win for all.

If you try what you suggest in para 2 the dentist agreement to be in a panel would prevent them from doing that. Yes some will take a chance and do it, but for most the risk is not worth it.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 71 (33,219 Views)
No it states pretty clear that you need to stay in the network on the DHMO. On the PPO you can go out of network but the DHMO you need to stay in the network they have. Also you should always call the groups they list to verify they take it. Even I caught that.
Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 40 of 71 (33,211 Views)

I can't imagine that your dentist would suggest a dental discount plan.  The dentist gets absolutely no benefit from such coverage other than a stream of potential customers willing to deal with inexperienced or just plain lousy dentists.  

I think the best approach is to take a coverage  list from some top-of-the line insurance to a dentist with a good reputation, ask if you can get these same prices if you pay cash, and then cut out the middleman.