Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 31 of 65 (33,625 Views)

I am astonished at how poor the coverage is with AARP/Delta Dental.  I chose AARP because I'd had Delta Dental previously, and they paid well.  I worked for a Form with about 350 employees and the plan had been negotiated so that, on a $225 expense for a cleaning/periodic exam (I live in NYC where life is not cheap), I got reimbursed $160.  

Now, with AARP, for the same $225 cleaning, I get $70.  Considering the thousands of people the AARP plan has signed on, that this is th best they could do with their buying power is absurd.  And, by the way, I play exactly the same monthly ($70 and change) for AARP's coverage as I did with my employer' plan.

This stinks.  AARP's medical plans are good and I thought their dental coverage would have to be at least sort of good.  But it isn't.  It's a disgrace, and I can't help but think, a scam.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 65 (32,562 Views)

SueCincy wrote:

I can't imagine that your dentist would suggest a dental discount plan.  The dentist gets absolutely no benefit from such coverage other than a stream of potential customers willing to deal with inexperienced or just plain lousy dentists.  

I think the best approach is to take a coverage  list from some top-of-the line insurance to a dentist with a good reputation, ask if you can get these same prices if you pay cash, and then cut out the middleman.

Here is how he dental discount plans work. Just about all Dental Insurance Cos. use a net work to supply benefits. Some of this network is dentists they have signed up (cheapest price), some are through dental networks they sign agreements with (higher price), and lastly dentists out of all network's they offer (highest price, and not covered in some policies). What they do is offer a person the their discounted price at a reduced fee. The user pays 100% of the cost as the Carrier pays nothing. When the dentist calls the carrier to check on person coverage they are told to collect all costs from the Indv. at time of service. These discount plans do save the user money, and are mostly low income people. When the dentists signs on to a panel this is usually covered in the agreement. The dentists get a customer, and their normal fee amount only from the user not the carrier. It is a win win for all.

If you try what you suggest in para 2 the dentist agreement to be in a panel would prevent them from doing that. Yes some will take a chance and do it, but for most the risk is not worth it.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 65 (32,452 Views)
No it states pretty clear that you need to stay in the network on the DHMO. On the PPO you can go out of network but the DHMO you need to stay in the network they have. Also you should always call the groups they list to verify they take it. Even I caught that.
Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 34 of 65 (32,444 Views)

I can't imagine that your dentist would suggest a dental discount plan.  The dentist gets absolutely no benefit from such coverage other than a stream of potential customers willing to deal with inexperienced or just plain lousy dentists.  

I think the best approach is to take a coverage  list from some top-of-the line insurance to a dentist with a good reputation, ask if you can get these same prices if you pay cash, and then cut out the middleman.

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 65 (31,277 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 65 (30,436 Views)
Go to the booklet issued to you when you joined the plan. The rules and benefits are outlined there. I just got two dental implants and the plan paid what they outlined. I have no complaints, especially so once most dental insurance plans don't recognize implants at all. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Info Seeker

Message 37 of 65 (27,072 Views)

Yes, AARP Delta Dental dentist insurance is wrong.  Too expensive and I called why my auto pymt. was not coming out.  They forgot to do it and deducted the full 3 months on the spot.  Uh   I had not the full money at the time,  They did not care.  Today I cancelled my policy.  Went to another carrier.

IMC Manchester, NH

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 65 (27,594 Views)

Hi!! I am at odd too!! .. I just started my covering on March the 1st this year .. and is June 2015 and still I have not been able to pull no even one single tooth from my mouth... "So .. my employer .. called and did all the connections. After that I visited the so called Dentist.  He did not charge me a penny on my first visit ... how ever the charge for the whole procefure is a whooper $7,000.00 USA dollars... in cash ..not mentioning that according to them.. my dental plan insurance start kick in when a full year has passed... is overwhelming .. since I am 52 ...  my employer is helping me with a kick on 2.700/00 the next time I visit the doctor office.. is been to week later and they called my employer and now the lowered to less than $4,000.00 for the whole procedure.... God only knows what they thought of my employer and I {me/myself}  ... probably they thought I was a gigolo.. We discussed those questions/innuendos outside the office.  I am hoping to do it as soon as possible ...I called and talk to the customer service .. but is a wasting of time since .. they are not the ones who made the rules or regulations when it comes ... clauses and what to offer ... once the insurance is paid... good bye ... dollars... so what else is knew... is all about capitalism/profit at any cost.  

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 65 (26,740 Views)

I'm not sure what you are looking at with AARP but the AARP DeltaCare HMO has a flat copay amount for each procedure and is 1/2 the cost of traditional dental insurance and is unlimited and no waiting period. The premium for myself and husband is $15 per mnth cheaper than traditional Humana dental insurance

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 40 of 65 (24,769 Views)

My husband just turned 50 this past year and I am this year. We have spent THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS on traditional dental insurance that the maximum is only $1,000-$1,500 a YEAR which is NOTHING! You can only get 1 tooth repaired for $1,000-$1,500 and most insurances make you wait until you have paid in a YEAR before you can get the care you NEED. Healthcare Reform needs to be evaluated IN DENTISTRY! It is highway ROBBERY! You would think they are performing brain surgery for what is charged! and you can't get adequate coverage. We receved an evaluation and treatment plan from a local dentist participating with AARP Deltacare and in comparison to Humana we are saving 1/2 of what is being charged and UNLIMITED COVERAGE WITH NO WAITING PERIOD! THANK GOD WE CAN GET THE DENTAL CARE WE NEED WITHOUT GOING BANKRUPT!