Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 21 of 65 (12,833 Views)

I examined the two dental plans (PPO Plan A and B) offered by Delta Dental and, indeed, it is a ripoff. The monthly fee, deductible and annual maximum amount is absurd. You can just go to your local dentist and see what dental insurance they offer. Shame on AARP for trying to take advantage of senior citizens. I'm 54 years old and unemployed so I don't qualify for Medicare or any other group coverage. I joined AARP to get some type of group insurance rate which doesn't exist. I will not be renewing my AARP membership...not even worth 16 bucks a year.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 65 (15,519 Views)

das277 wrote:
"....So you didnt say what the name of that plan that is a great deal for you is.....".
The poster stated they got it from Delta Dental. Because insurance costs may vary from state-to-state, you would need to go onto the website yourself, look at the plans for your state, and find the dentists that will accept it (in your area) along with how much the plan is and the coverage.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 65 (15,706 Views)
So you didnt say what the name of that plan that is a great deal for you is. Please tell the readers the plan name that you are using so we can save money also.
Thanks
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 24 of 65 (16,896 Views)

I went on line and looked at Delta Dentals web site. Took out a policy after researching which dentists in my area accepted the insurance. I pay 28.24 mo. for single policy. Had the insurance for 13 yrs. and the premium has only gone up a few cents. They have paid 50% of crowns and partial plates. I have been very satisfied with Delta Dental. Cleanings are paid @ 10

I have been a Delta Dental customer for 13 yrs. I went online at their web site and researched which dentists in my area accepted payment from them. I took out my policy on line and pay 28.24 mo. for single policy. The price has only been raised a few cents since taking it out. They have paid 100% for cleanings, 50% for crowns and partial plates up to 1,000. yearly. I have no complaints with Delta Dental of Ky.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 65 (17,644 Views)
I did not know until this year that AARP was against negotiating prices on medication for Medicare patients. That tells me they are for big pharma instead of seniors. I doubt I renew my membership and have been a member since 1989.
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 65 (20,791 Views)

I have viewed the plan. I, too, question this company's plan. I have friends (more then one and different insurance companies all with the same costs) who have non-AARP Delta Dental plans and they don't have the costs that this company does. They pay no decutibles and when it comes to things like root canal's and crowns they pay only 20 % the insurance company pays 80%, but Delta pays only 50% and you the pay the rest with a deductible of a $100 on top of it, which would come to $800 for one tooth, instead of $280 at other places. Where is the savings?

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 65 (24,732 Views)

Thank you to you, and others here, expressing that the Delta AARP plan is worthless.  I came to the site to check AGAIN.  It sounds like it is a worse deal than the last time I checked.  It makes me wonder if AARP gets some kind of a kickback for offering such an expensive, horrible plan.  They are supposed to be fighting for their members.

Tedium
Info Seeker

Message 28 of 65 (25,988 Views)

I live in Oregon and pay $31 a month for Delta Dental through Moda.  When i joined AARP,, i saw they offered Delta Dental so i checked premium prices and was shocked at how much more they cost.

I have not joined AARP for many years prior to this for the simple fact that I remember that AARP was on the band wagon to not negotiate prices for prescriptions charged to Medicare patients.  This is so ridiculous.

If AARP touts itself as a help to seniors, so far I haven't seen it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 29 of 65 (28,998 Views)

"....I just received information on the AARP Dental Insurance Plan. Unbelievable. As a single person my premiums would be Almost $770 per month....".

I'm very confused. That would be more expensive than full medical coverage. I just priced Delta, in Illinois. For a single person, it's $35.84 a month. That's for the top-end plan. The average for dental insurance in this country is about $400 a YEAR.

There is no way that insurance is the price you quote.......

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 30 of 65 (30,010 Views)

I just received information on the AARP Dental Insurance Plan. Unbelievable. As a single person my premiums would be Almost $770 per month. With so many restrictions and deductibles not to mention the annual limit of any work done is $1500, this policy is ridiculous. No way would I go for this. If I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, it costs me about $160. That's all I really need, and if there's a major problem most likely I'd end up paying for most of it myself. AARP, you should get out into the real world and you would discover that this policy connected to your name is totally detrimental. No benefit to us. Just to Delta Dental who gets the exhorbitant premiums and pays out very little.  AARP you should be ashamed to be sponsoring such a poor insurance package.