The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 21 of 71 (7,554 Views)
Which plan did you choose?
Thank you
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 71 (8,315 Views)

I have had Delta through AARP for two years, I get four cleanings a year, just got pre authorized for crowns, and don't know where these complaints come from.  I mean, are you guys asking for implants and a complete mouth make over in your first year?  Or cosmetic type work?  

I pay $76.00 a month, someone else says they got a quote of $770.00 a month - for dental insurance??  

Labrat64 wrote:
We've had AARP dental insurance for 17 months. We pay ~$115/month for dual coverage. Items that should be covered according to our contract are not. One of my crowns came out with a post attached. My dentist was able to rfe-install the crown using a longer post. He charged $300 for the post. Delta said they would reimburse $170 for such a procedure. However, that procedure is not covered. My dentist was able to save the crown. He only charged for the post. according to my contract that should be covered. I wonder what else is convieniently not covered? Frankly, I could have dropped the insurance and paid cash on the spot and i would have come out ahead. Has anyone else had such an experience? 

Remember; we can all do something.
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 71 (9,934 Views)
I don't understand. How did an auto payment apply to Delta Dental?
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 71 (10,286 Views)

Yes it is a rip-off!!!

i had it for over 3 years and when I moved gave them my change of address with my last payment so when I didn't hear from them again I just assumed that I no longer had dental insurance. When I went to the dentist for a cleaning I was told to call them and make a payment of which I did== found out my credit card was charged $645.66 more than what the dentist would have charged me for the cleaning and x-rays ($310.) when I called them about this they were closed for the weekend and when I called today -Monday they informed me that even though they would cancel my insure I would still have to pay the $645.66 + my dentist $310. Now my bank says that they will try and dispute the charge as they believe that is wrong but no guarantees so I definitely will warn all seniors that this dental insurance is a rip-off and a fraud!!

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 71 (11,189 Views)

Don't be stupid like I was....do the math. Last year I paid $95.00 a month for the AARP Delta Dental Plan. That is nearly $1,200 annually. The plan only allows a cap of $1,5000 annually. Which means I paid $1,200 for $300 worth of coverage. Can’t believe AARP endorses this company. Which make you wonder…. is AARP really looking out for its subscribers.

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 71 (12,377 Views)
I agree, if AARP is going to sponser this insurance for Senior citizens, you would think it would cover issues unique to them. After 2 years of paying for coverage, the only thing the insurance paid for is the exam. I have paid for all other services.
Info Seeker

Message 27 of 71 (14,416 Views)

I examined the two dental plans (PPO Plan A and B) offered by Delta Dental and, indeed, it is a ripoff. The monthly fee, deductible and annual maximum amount is absurd. You can just go to your local dentist and see what dental insurance they offer. Shame on AARP for trying to take advantage of senior citizens. I'm 54 years old and unemployed so I don't qualify for Medicare or any other group coverage. I joined AARP to get some type of group insurance rate which doesn't exist. I will not be renewing my AARP membership...not even worth 16 bucks a year.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 71 (17,102 Views)

das277 wrote:
"....So you didnt say what the name of that plan that is a great deal for you is.....".
The poster stated they got it from Delta Dental. Because insurance costs may vary from state-to-state, you would need to go onto the website yourself, look at the plans for your state, and find the dentists that will accept it (in your area) along with how much the plan is and the coverage.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 29 of 71 (17,289 Views)
So you didnt say what the name of that plan that is a great deal for you is. Please tell the readers the plan name that you are using so we can save money also.
Thanks
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 30 of 71 (18,479 Views)

I went on line and looked at Delta Dentals web site. Took out a policy after researching which dentists in my area accepted the insurance. I pay 28.24 mo. for single policy. Had the insurance for 13 yrs. and the premium has only gone up a few cents. They have paid 50% of crowns and partial plates. I have been very satisfied with Delta Dental. Cleanings are paid @ 10

I have been a Delta Dental customer for 13 yrs. I went online at their web site and researched which dentists in my area accepted payment from them. I took out my policy on line and pay 28.24 mo. for single policy. The price has only been raised a few cents since taking it out. They have paid 100% for cleanings, 50% for crowns and partial plates up to 1,000. yearly. I have no complaints with Delta Dental of Ky.