Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 11 of 65 (1,891 Views)

My dentist recommended Delta Dental.  She said the benefits are good and she is a provider.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 65 (3,966 Views)

Wish I read this forum before purchasing Delta Dental.  I thought I had researched the benefits payment plan and while not a great savings it would save a  little. I thought I was going to get at least 2 no cost cleanings and X-rays. I had a hard time picking a dentist most had bad reviews. That should have been my first clue. I had my first visit. Told me the dentist said I needed a deep cleaning for $420 and did not want to do regular cleaning. Had to sign a paper saying I was not agreeing to deep cleaning, very intimidating.  They did no cost cleaning for $45? The root canal and crown that I thought would cost me $870 (re benefits schedule) was quoted at $1,645 because of a couple upgrades the plan did not cover. Yes I do need a root canal and crown but would not trust billing procedures unless you already know your dentist.  I would not recommend Delta Dental.  I think Delta Dental is a rip offI AARP could do a better job in choosing a dental plan for seniors. There is no control on what extra charges they can add. The benefits schedule is a joke.  

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 65 (4,051 Views)

Question .  I noticed that most of the negative comments concerning dental insurance were from a couple of years ago. Are things any better now (7/11/2017)?

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 65 (4,499 Views)

not dental, but aarp hartford car insurance cost me more than going directly to hartford for insurance.  and it was not easy finding a website where i could do that.   

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 65 (4,998 Views)
Which plan did you choose?
Thank you
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 65 (5,787 Views)

I have had Delta through AARP for two years, I get four cleanings a year, just got pre authorized for crowns, and don't know where these complaints come from.  I mean, are you guys asking for implants and a complete mouth make over in your first year?  Or cosmetic type work?  

I pay $76.00 a month, someone else says they got a quote of $770.00 a month - for dental insurance??  

Labrat64 wrote:
We've had AARP dental insurance for 17 months. We pay ~$115/month for dual coverage. Items that should be covered according to our contract are not. One of my crowns came out with a post attached. My dentist was able to rfe-install the crown using a longer post. He charged $300 for the post. Delta said they would reimburse $170 for such a procedure. However, that procedure is not covered. My dentist was able to save the crown. He only charged for the post. according to my contract that should be covered. I wonder what else is convieniently not covered? Frankly, I could have dropped the insurance and paid cash on the spot and i would have come out ahead. Has anyone else had such an experience? 

Remember; we can all do something.
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 65 (8,046 Views)
I don't understand. How did an auto payment apply to Delta Dental?
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 65 (8,450 Views)

Yes it is a rip-off!!!

i had it for over 3 years and when I moved gave them my change of address with my last payment so when I didn't hear from them again I just assumed that I no longer had dental insurance. When I went to the dentist for a cleaning I was told to call them and make a payment of which I did== found out my credit card was charged $645.66 more than what the dentist would have charged me for the cleaning and x-rays ($310.) when I called them about this they were closed for the weekend and when I called today -Monday they informed me that even though they would cancel my insure I would still have to pay the $645.66 + my dentist $310. Now my bank says that they will try and dispute the charge as they believe that is wrong but no guarantees so I definitely will warn all seniors that this dental insurance is a rip-off and a fraud!!

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 65 (9,395 Views)

Don't be stupid like I was....do the math. Last year I paid $95.00 a month for the AARP Delta Dental Plan. That is nearly $1,200 annually. The plan only allows a cap of $1,5000 annually. Which means I paid $1,200 for $300 worth of coverage. Can’t believe AARP endorses this company. Which make you wonder…. is AARP really looking out for its subscribers.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 65 (10,583 Views)
I agree, if AARP is going to sponser this insurance for Senior citizens, you would think it would cover issues unique to them. After 2 years of paying for coverage, the only thing the insurance paid for is the exam. I have paid for all other services.