AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 1 of 54 (658 Views)

Wish I read this forum before purchasing Delta Dental.  I thought I had researched the benefits payment plan and while not a great savings it would save a  little. I thought I was going to get at least 2 no cost cleanings and X-rays. I had a hard time picking a dentist most had bad reviews. That should have been my first clue. I had my first visit. Told me the dentist said I needed a deep cleaning for $420 and did not want to do regular cleaning. Had to sign a paper saying I was not agreeing to deep cleaning, very intimidating.  They did no cost cleaning for $45? The root canal and crown that I thought would cost me $870 (re benefits schedule) was quoted at $1,645 because of a couple upgrades the plan did not cover. Yes I do need a root canal and crown but would not trust billing procedures unless you already know your dentist.  I would not recommend Delta Dental.  I think Delta Dental is a rip offI AARP could do a better job in choosing a dental plan for seniors. There is no control on what extra charges they can add. The benefits schedule is a joke.  

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 54 (748 Views)

Question .  I noticed that most of the negative comments concerning dental insurance were from a couple of years ago. Are things any better now (7/11/2017)?

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 54 (1,187 Views)

not dental, but aarp hartford car insurance cost me more than going directly to hartford for insurance.  and it was not easy finding a website where i could do that.   

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 54 (1,455 Views)
Which plan did you choose?
Thank you
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 54 (2,199 Views)

I have had Delta through AARP for two years, I get four cleanings a year, just got pre authorized for crowns, and don't know where these complaints come from.  I mean, are you guys asking for implants and a complete mouth make over in your first year?  Or cosmetic type work?  

I pay $76.00 a month, someone else says they got a quote of $770.00 a month - for dental insurance??  

Labrat64 wrote:
We've had AARP dental insurance for 17 months. We pay ~$115/month for dual coverage. Items that should be covered according to our contract are not. One of my crowns came out with a post attached. My dentist was able to rfe-install the crown using a longer post. He charged $300 for the post. Delta said they would reimburse $170 for such a procedure. However, that procedure is not covered. My dentist was able to save the crown. He only charged for the post. according to my contract that should be covered. I wonder what else is convieniently not covered? Frankly, I could have dropped the insurance and paid cash on the spot and i would have come out ahead. Has anyone else had such an experience? 

Remember; we can all do something.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 54 (4,402 Views)
I don't understand. How did an auto payment apply to Delta Dental?
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 54 (4,683 Views)

Yes it is a rip-off!!!

i had it for over 3 years and when I moved gave them my change of address with my last payment so when I didn't hear from them again I just assumed that I no longer had dental insurance. When I went to the dentist for a cleaning I was told to call them and make a payment of which I did== found out my credit card was charged $645.66 more than what the dentist would have charged me for the cleaning and x-rays ($310.) when I called them about this they were closed for the weekend and when I called today -Monday they informed me that even though they would cancel my insure I would still have to pay the $645.66 + my dentist $310. Now my bank says that they will try and dispute the charge as they believe that is wrong but no guarantees so I definitely will warn all seniors that this dental insurance is a rip-off and a fraud!!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 54 (5,445 Views)

Don't be stupid like I was....do the math. Last year I paid $95.00 a month for the AARP Delta Dental Plan. That is nearly $1,200 annually. The plan only allows a cap of $1,5000 annually. Which means I paid $1,200 for $300 worth of coverage. Can’t believe AARP endorses this company. Which make you wonder…. is AARP really looking out for its subscribers.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 54 (6,358 Views)
I agree, if AARP is going to sponser this insurance for Senior citizens, you would think it would cover issues unique to them. After 2 years of paying for coverage, the only thing the insurance paid for is the exam. I have paid for all other services.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 54 (8,992 Views)

I examined the two dental plans (PPO Plan A and B) offered by Delta Dental and, indeed, it is a ripoff. The monthly fee, deductible and annual maximum amount is absurd. You can just go to your local dentist and see what dental insurance they offer. Shame on AARP for trying to take advantage of senior citizens. I'm 54 years old and unemployed so I don't qualify for Medicare or any other group coverage. I joined AARP to get some type of group insurance rate which doesn't exist. I will not be renewing my AARP membership...not even worth 16 bucks a year.