Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Hip Replacement

Message 1 of 5 (233 Views)

jasonr496431 wrote:

Thank you very much byrondennis for your reply. 

One of my concerns is if I see a doctor now for the hip pain will that establish it as a preexisting condition potentially making future medicare suppliment payments higher?

The answer to that question raises another level of complexity above and beyond the answer I gave in chrono comment 2. You use the term in chrono comment 1 "eligible for Medicare," but there are multiple ways to become eligible for Medicare and then all the options mentioned in chrono comment 2 kick in. And some of the ways to supplement Medicare are regulated by the state where you live and some are regulated by the Federal government.

So you really need to go through the process to be sure where you stand. You can get help from an unbiased Medicare volunteer, who is not selling insurance, at a local senior center or like facility. But if you are not "eligible" until sometime in 2018, call the senior center after December 7 because right now the volunteers are up to their eyeballs with the public Part C/D Annual Election Period.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5 (244 Views)

jasonr496431 wrote:

One of my concerns is if I see a doctor now for the hip pain will that establish it as a preexisting condition potentially making future medicare suppliment payments higher?

No, not as long as you sign up for Medicare Parts A and B when you are eligible.

Medicare.gov - When can I buy Medigap?

a Medicare Supplimental policy is called "Medigap"

from the link -  

When can I buy Medigap?
Buy a policy when you're first eligible

The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period. During that time you can buy any Medigap policy sold in your state, even if you have health problems. This period automatically starts the month you're 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). After this enrollment period, you may not be able to buy a Medigap policy. If you're able to buy one, it may cost more.

more at the link -

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 5 (250 Views)

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 5 (261 Views)

jasonr496431 wrote:

I will be eligible for medicare next year. My health is fine except recently I have been having mild hip pain. My question is, should I wait until I am covered by medicare or do something now while I am covered with Kaiser Permente? 

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, Jason, but no one reading your question could possibly answer your question because...

• No one knows how good or bad your current insurance is and
  • Once you become "eligible for Medicare," depending on where you live and your then current employment status and many other factors, you will have probably about a half dozen or more choices of how you supplement that Medicare (almost everyone -- about 98% -- gets some kind of supplement). You would need to know what you are going to do then to know whether it is preferable to do something now.

You could read "Medicare and You, 2018" (particularly pages 4-5) and/or go to the Medicare-dot-gov (not Medicare-dot-com) web site to look into some of your options as of today.You will probably have mutliple options in each columnYou will probably have mutliple options in each column

Just remember that the options available to you by the time you become eligible might be different than they are now.

Info Seeker

Hip Replacement

Message 5 of 5 (266 Views)

I will be eligible for medicare next year. My health is fine except recently I have been having mild hip pain. My question is, should I wait until I am covered by medicare or do something now while I am covered with Kaiser Permente? 

Thanks in advance!