Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Filing for Medicare early 2018

Message 1 of 5 (67 Views)

mw18939526 wrote:

I am very concerned about my Health care coverage. I am a male 64 years of age on S.S. Retirement. Up until jan 2017 I had BCBS coverage thru the market place and it was subsidized because of my low income. But because annual income is less than $12,000 I lost that coverage. My income was too low.

My concern now is that I of course need coverage at my age and with the new bill that was voted on saying the Govt. is going to cut Medicare and possibly raise the eligible age to 67 will I be able to get coverage in 2018?

Micheal

Previous commenters probably provided you what you needed by pointing out that:

1. Proposals to raise the age of Medicare eligibility only affect people now 55 or so or younger (see Note)

2. The proposals are part of budgets -- one that has passed the House and a different one that has passed through the Senate Budget Committee -- and those budgets are not even law yet (although I would guess that they will be conferenced and become law sometime this month).

That being said, there are many steps after the budget is passed before Medicare is finally reformed. Probably most important, neither of the budgets "cuts" Medicare. In both budgets, Medicare spending increases from roughly $600 billion in 2017 to a trillion dollars in 2026. "Cut" in the context of Medicare is just a scare word by leftists which really means the fraud, waste and abuse in Medicare is going to be brought under control

Note: Although I am in favor of Medicare reform I am not in favor of raising the eligibility age. 80% of the spending on a person by Medicare is done in the last year of life and it really does not matter that much if that life ends at 67 or 97. Kicking off people who are aged 65 or 66 who -- statistically speaking -- don't die too often (and therefore don't have high expense) while giving up the income from their paying their Part B premiums is actually bad math for the Medicare Trust funds in my opinion.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 5 (130 Views)

Thank You Melissa that's a relief to know.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 5 (159 Views)

Any Medicare cuts and age increases won't happpen anytime soon... their saying 2020. You should be good regarding applying for Medicare. Make sure to look into a Medigap plan as well so you don't get stuck with the out of pocket costs that Medicare doesn't pay for. Low income rules are different for every state, depending on where you live you may get help in paying your Part B premium. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5 (192 Views)

The senate has not voted on the bill, and I believe the medicare age issue was a 'suggestion'. That has been discussed for many years, and has not happened yet.

So, at this point, nothing has happened. Plus, the last proposal I read stated that if age were to be increased, it would not be implemented until 2020 and the raise in age would only be 2 months per year. So, it would take 12 years to be fully implemented.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Filing for Medicare early 2018

Message 5 of 5 (202 Views)

I am very concerned about my Health care coverage. I am a male 64 years of age on S.S. Retirement. Up until jan 2017 I had BCBS coverage thru the market place and it was subsidized because of my low income. But because annual income is less than $12,000 I lost that coverage. My income was too low.

My concern now is that I of course need coverage at my age and with the new bill that was voted on saying the Govt. is going to cut Medicare and possibly raise the eligible age to 67 will I be able to get coverage in 2018?

Micheal