The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Drugs and Poverty - ....

Message 1 of 4 (296 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Now for the conservative, curmudgeonly view.

First is a question. Why didn't I need, or my parents who grew up poor, need this new age crappola to be taught how to act? My mother went to a one-room schoolhouse and became successful.

What happened to subsequent generations and why is it always the schools responsibility to take this stuff up? I think it's parents who have failed beyond all measure and in typical American tradition, make it someone else's fault and problem to fix.

No wonder we are so far behind other western countries in teaching the 3 R's, let alone advanced math, physics, the sciences, etc. 

As has been quoted many times, the poor will always be among us.  But being poor doesn't mean you have to grow up without empathy, values, a work ethic, or basic manners.

I don't have a solution for a generation that had everything, or at least, access to everything, but somehow failed to instill any values in their kids.

end of rant.......

I 100 % agree with you.  

Not to mention that being poor does not mean you are a drug user.  Being dumb does not mean you ae a drug user.   Drug users come from every social strata there is.  It has to do with the person, with their emotional make up.   Example  it has been many many many years now that we have known the potential health issues associated with smoking.  Do adults still choose to smoke ?  Yes.  Education alone, Love of family alone,  Ability alone, nothing alone will cure an addict or keep someone from becoming one.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (335 Views)

Now for the conservative, curmudgeonly view.

First is a question. Why didn't I need, or my parents who grew up poor, need this new age crappola to be taught how to act? My mother went to a one-room schoolhouse and became successful.

What happened to subsequent generations and why is it always the schools responsibility to take this stuff up? I think it's parents who have failed beyond all measure and in typical American tradition, make it someone else's fault and problem to fix.

No wonder we are so far behind other western countries in teaching the 3 R's, let alone advanced math, physics, the sciences, etc. 

As has been quoted many times, the poor will always be among us.  But being poor doesn't mean you have to grow up without empathy, values, a work ethic, or basic manners.

I don't have a solution for a generation that had everything, or at least, access to everything, but somehow failed to instill any values in their kids.

end of rant.......

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Super Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4 (439 Views)

Well, there is one approach to the first issue -- a curriculum developed for schools called Responsible Classroom.  It focuses on the social/emotional aspects of learning.

https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/about/principles-practices/

My son's school does this, and I think it's been very helpful.

Info Seeker

Drugs and Poverty - ....

Message 4 of 4 (459 Views)

Ideas and Possible Solution for poverty and drug addiction

What seems to be the source and reason of poverty and addictions. Is it not lack of resource???  What is this costing our country in terms of waste of time and life? What is lack of good emphasis, the poor choices of those in leadership and persons involved and lamentable results costing our USA?

1.      A solution might be more emphasis in schools on all students having knowledge of what it takes to be mentally and emotionally healthy. This includes: what does it mean to know yourself, communicate well, take care of feelings and what does a good decision look like.

2.     The other solution is to teach people in poverty not only skills to get a job but how to stretch finances,  make good decisions about finance, how to save, how to work with finances, what to do and what not to do when money is earned or given. This is really cultural intervention and would have to be offered, not demanded.

3.       Promotion of values such as good core concepts taught in church and in 12 step programs or a combination of these offerings to young people could also be promoted and encouraged with incentives of some kind.

Thanks 🙏 ,

Crystal