Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Did you know drugs approved by FDA still pose safety risks?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 8 (700 Views)

My point of view is different. I firmly believe FDA and agree with their actions. What I really wanted to know is that when we talk about generic drug as compared to branded ones, are generic drugs safe to use? does FDA also monitor the generic ones? 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (741 Views)

We vote to elect politians who can’t wait to cut the budgets and enforcement powers of government agencies whose job it is to regulate and protect the public’s health.  Then we wonder why we are at risk for toxic substances in products intended to prevent or remedy an illness.

How could you vote against federal regulation that saves millions of lives each year by requiring these pharmaceutical industries to do more thorough testing of a product before they apply for approval?

In contrast those against stricter enforcement of human and environmental health federal regulations say 2/3 of all pharmaceuticals approved by the FDA are safe for human consumption.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8 (837 Views)

The FDA approval process has also been rushed up in the last few years and may also get faster.    Clinical trial phases are very controlled and many times not very wide spread in numbers.  So until a new drug is out there being used by some population on somewhat of a regular basis, the regulators really are only making a guest that they know all the side effects or contraindications.

Pills are big business because there is such demand - people want meds that take care of their problem(s).

In many states, any new medication prescribed to a person should come with a pharmacy consultation unless it is waived by the patient.  Warning are sometimes placed in the packaging or on the box - Then, of course, there are those commercials for meds which actually warns of side effect and other possible warnings.

Still people beg for them at their doctors office - 

For many, they are just a few pills away from health and wellbeing ( sarcasm )

Woman Frustrated

Kaiser Health News 05/11/2017 - Nearly 1 in 3 Recent FDA Drug Approvals Followed by Major Safety Act...

"All too often, patients and clinicians mistakenly view FDA approval as [an] indication that a product is fully safe and effective,” he said. “Nothing could be further from the truth. We learn tremendous amounts about a product only once it’s on the market and only after use among a broad population.”

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (863 Views)

@ASTRAEA & @retiredtraveler  I couldn't agree with you more!  This is one area where consumer education is everything!  I have a family member who does research for "big pharma" and the anecdotal information I've acquired combined with my exposure, through personal experience and my education have created a healthy suspicion of all things pharmaceutical.

Add corporate greed, big business interests, corporate "spying" and foreign manufacturers with a lack of oversight and you have the recipe for gross malfeasance leading to disastrous consequences for the consumer.

I cannot emphasize this enough:  Do Your Due Diligence!

Your good health and potentially your life depends upon it.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8 (875 Views)

@retiredtraveler - Great post; totally agree! And from what I've heard, conventional doctors have minimal education in pharmacology .. so what's their main source of information about drugs/new treatments .. Pharmaceutical sales representatives. Talk about "bias"!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8 (879 Views)

More than aware. The drug industry is still in the dark ages. There have been very few drugs, with the thousands of compounds that have been put on the market, that produce a safe, sure, cure to whatever ailment they are supposed to treat.

I have had an issue with this entire industry after learning some years back, directly from people in the business of developing new drugs, that there is virtually no collaberation among the thousands of labs out there. Everyone wants to be the company that gets a cure for something and makes a fortune. There is an incredible amount of time and money put into individual research.

I don't know for a fact, but suspect if that all the research being done was fully shared, and every lab was cooperating fully in the scientific community, we would be decades ahead of where we are now as far as safe, effective, meds. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (902 Views)

Please define "safety risk"; there's almost no commercial medication today, that doesn't have side effects, that are as bad or worse than whatever's wrong in the first place. Then there's interaction between medications, that pose a risk .. especially if patient & doctor don't communicate fully, about EVERYTHING the person is taking.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted
Community Manager

Did you know drugs approved by FDA still pose safety risks?

Message 8 of 8 (910 Views)

There are ⅓ of drugs approved by FDA pose safety risks, are you aware of this?

AARPTeri