Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: DO NOT USE OPTUMRx to fill or refill you prescriptions

Message 41 of 82 (3,881 Views)

Are others having problems with the OptumRX web site since a system update that happened in late August?  When I log on, I see a Claim History screen but cannot get to my list of prescriptions or order a refill or anything else.  The person I talked with this afternoon said they're working on the problem and it might be fixed by September 14.  I spent a lot of years working in an IT-related company and heads would have rolled if a major problem like this wasn't addressed.

AARP should ditch OptumRx. 

Conversationalist

Message 42 of 82 (4,253 Views)

SOOOOO glad you survived.  My husband is trying to get his company to fire OptumRX and go to a different medication provider.  Optum is very incompetent and dangerous.  Best to have an alternate plan in case this happens again before you can get switched to another mail order prescription company.  It's gonna take some time.  They should be prosecuted for negligence and misshandling of prescriptions.  I'm cannot deal with the stress, so my husband is pursuing various options available.  Stress can kill.  Almost got me.  God bless you and keep you safe, Linda. Smiley Happy jlp

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 43 of 82 (4,240 Views)

You are new.  It won't last long.  If you have life sustaining medications, I very strongly recommend that you get those prescriptions filled and refilled at a local pharmacy.  I have been put in very precarious situations by OptumRX.  I have had to fight tooth and nail to get my prescriptions filled exactly as my physician prescribed them.  At another time I've been left completely without medications for over a week, while I fought with Optum over the reasons they hadn't arrived.  Consequently, I went through unnecessary withdrawal symptoms because the medications had initially been titrated up slowly to a maintenance level, so abruptly going completely them caused me to go into withdrawal.  One medication that I take is a life sustaining medication.  If I miss dosing it puts me in jeopardy of slipping into a coma and dying.  So I have a local pharmacy who will fill my prescription for me on an emergent basis if and when Optum screws up on this particular medication.  I can't go without it. Don't trust them with your blood pressure medications or life sustaining medications.  It's possible that you may not live to get the issue resolved! 

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 82 (4,182 Views)
Thanks Janet. My meds finally arrived today. That makes it a complete 3 weeks without blood pressure meds. Thankfully, I'm still alive. ;-)

I plan to investigate my alternatives.

--Linda
Conversationalist

Message 45 of 82 (3,821 Views)

I too have been endangered by Optum RX.  I’ve had the exact same problem getting my life sustaining meds multiple times in the last few years. The refill techs are always courteous and as helpful as possible, but when there is a problem, I get transferred to the pharmacist or the supervisor, or to an "escalation management" tech. These supposedly upper level employees answer questions with questions, or make irrelevant statements that sideline or dismiss what I’m trying to explain to them. Additionally, when I call to ask why my medication hasn’t arrived, I am usually told that the doctor has failed to respond to my refill or renewal request.  However, I know this to be untrue, because when I ask about it at the doctor’s office I’m told he DID respond, and that it is well documented in my file via stamp-dated notations and dated and timed fax return confirmations. My primary physician is an incredibly intelligent, responsible, efficient minded and compassionate human being who has never failed to respond quickly and thoroughly to any telephone call or fax from Optumrx when they need his authorization to refill a prescription, or when a new prescription is needed.  

Optum employees, particularly the "supervisors" and "escalation prevention managers" lie without pause, and evade questions by replies that keep you going around in circles, & cause you to have to repeat the same facts and the same questions and concerns over and over again.  Often, they put me on a "forever hold" and when they do come back online, they transfer me to somebody new which requires having to go through everything all over again.  They absolutely will NOT give me a direct pertinent and intelligent response, demonstrating to me that they are either extremely stupid, are mentally incompetent, or just don't care a hoot what is happening to the patients as a result of their incompetence . It's truly horrible, and my very life has been put in jeopardy because of these idiots more than once.  They don't care.  I have wondered if they behave this way because they're paid such an inadequate salary or treated so terribly by the Administrative Staff, that they play some sort of a sick game between themselves,....I don't know, but OptumRX should be stripped of their license to do business.  No amount of monetary penalty or fine is sufficient to pay for the resultant loss of health and probable loss of life because of their incompetence. The vulnerable patient is unfortunately, completely at their mercy....I don't think they even know the meaning of the word "mercy" and there is obviously no moral conscience among them.  I have written to them more than once.  I get confirmation of my communications, but there remains absolutely no resolution of their life and health endangering way of doing business.  It’s still the same-ol’ same-ol’ UNENDING frustration and overwhelming stress whenever I have to deal with them.  

My husband has told me he intends to call his former employer to complain. (He is retired, on pension, and his company uses OptumRX to manage the employee & retiree medications.)  He intends to show them the Consumer Affairs ratings for OptumRX:  

OptumRX overall rating is only ONE STAR, based on 279 ratings out of 1,233 reviews:

2 were 5 star ratings,

7 were 2 star ratings, &

268 were ONE STAR ratings!

I think their ratings reflect the very poor service going on at OptumRX.  It is a dangerous company to have handling anyone's medications!

Info Seeker

Message 46 of 82 (3,578 Views)

I also wish I had read the reviews. This pharmacy is dangerous. We switched my Mom's meds here as we thought mail order would be easier and cheaper. They had her new scripts for 9 days and we heard nothing. One of her meds she needs daily to prevent another stroke and she had been out of them for 3 days.I spent 1 hour and a half trying to get these people to understand. I was put on hold for 20 minutes, hung up on twice and talked over like I wasn't even there. I asked repeatedly to speak with a supervisor and again was put on hold for 30 minutes. I was finally told they would mail some of the scripts in 5 days, but said I could go back to our other pharmacy to get the one we needed asap. I finally asked them who I can speak to when my Mom dies of a stroke due to their complete incompetence and disregard for their customers. Do NOT use this pharmacy, they are and probably already have been responsible for someone's death.

Info Seeker

Message 47 of 82 (3,114 Views)

Wish I had read this before trying to get involved with this company.  I'm actually a little fearful that they will make some mistake in filling one of my prescriptions, and cause a serious health issue.

Details:

Following their instructions, I had my physician write prescriptions for the drugs I take, and sent it in to them with the appropriate form.  About a week later, I checked online and saw that there was an order.  It only contained 3 of the 5 prescriptions that were on the order.  (All 5 orders were printed on one prescription form.)  I sent an inquiry via their online form.  When I hadn't received a response in 2 days, I called.  The rep first told me that they had only received orders for 3 medications.  When I pointed out that all 5 were on the same scrip, the rep realized she'd have to check it out.  She then told me that the pharmacy had questions on 2 medications.  I madfe a point of telling her that I had been out of my blood pressure medication for a week, and made sure she understood that that could be dangerous.  Anyway, I called my doctor's office immediately, and asked them to call the pharmacy.  When I next checked the order online, it had disappeared completely.  So, I called again this morning.  They claim that my doctor never called them. (I've been with this doctor for a long time, and have never had a problem with them.)  Anyway, they finally put me through to a pharmacist who told me what the 2 issues are.  They're supposedly going to send out the 3 meds today.  We'll see.

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 82 (3,598 Views)

I've had only positive experiences renewing prescriptions through OptumRx.

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 82 (3,470 Views)

I've had only positive experiences with filling prescriptions with OptumRx.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 82 (3,072 Views)

I have had only positive experiences with filling my prescriptions through OptumRx.