What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Cuts to Medicare

Message 11 of 23

Dennis, I'm not sure where you get your information, but it's wrong again. The Trump administration can't override PAYGO (an acronym). Only Congress can. Will 60 senators--especially Republicans--decide to increase the deficit by suspending PAYGO? Doubtful, especially since Republican leaders like Ryan are already talking about the need to reduce entitlement spending, especially Medicare and Medicaid.

If the GOP passes this tax bill and adds $1.5 trillion to the debt (a number likely to increase) they'll pivot immediately to entitlement reform. Ryan indicates that his first priority will be restructuring Medicare and Medicaid.

You don't seem to trust legitimate news sources like Vox. That must be why you believe the OMB can just ignore PAYGO, or that mandatory Medicare cuts will be rounding errors. Those rounding errors will amount to $500 billion in ten years.

Btw, you seem to think the ACA cut hospitals, nursing homes and home care. What are you reading? There were no cuts to any of these services. On the contrary, there was an expansion to Medicaid. Please do some research.

For those who believe in real journalism, here's the Vox link:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/14/16651184/gop-tax-bill-medicare-cut-paygo

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 23

charliej103 wrote:

"Do Not Believe their lies" say bryondennis.  Firstly, I am a registered Republican; my family has voted Republican since Eisenhouser.  Secondly, I don't lie about anything.   I don't completely trust any one source of news --- and I trust the least what I see on social networks (which BTW I helped develop). This is the first time I've posted anything to AARP and don't have a Facebook account.  Regardless, if anyone believes that the Bannon republicans will do anything at the end of the year to keep Medicare whole, I have a bridge in my home town of Brooklyn I can sell them.

So let's see. Kind of in order, and trying to stick with the facts and with no regard for who your grandfather voted for

1. You invented social media but don't seem to understand how url links work (either how to follow them or how to attach them)

2. You came here out of the blue (your words) and posted an unlinked reference to the fact that Medicare was going to be cut $25 billion next year according to CBO

3. But when it was suggested two or three times by two different people that you actually read the CBO memo that you were referencing, which says pretty much the opposite of what you claim, you provide no response to the facts

4. Instead you add a new claim -- again with no url and no substance and no facts (and I think no blessed idea what you are talking about) -- that something dire is going to happen to Medicare in the next 6 weeks

5. And you don't think I should warn seniors who worry about such things that they should not worry, that lefties are lying to them

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 23

"Do Not Believe their lies" say bryondennis.  Firstly, I am a registered Republican; my family has voted Republican since Eisenhouser.  Secondly, I don't lie about anything.   I don't completely trust any one source of news --- and I trust the least what I see on social networks (which BTW I helped develop). This is the first time I've posted anything to AARP and don't have a Facebook account.  Regardless, if anyone believes that the Bannon republicans will do anything at the end of the year to keep Medicare whole, I have a bridge in my home town of Brooklyn I can sell them.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 23

b191210w wrote:

Why does the current president and his administration think cuts will improve budgets at the cost of older citizens?  As we live longer it seems we depend on more medications, Why?  I understand that as the body and mind ages, humans need more support with chronic illnesses.  Drug companies seem to develop medications that require us to rely on more maintenance drugs.  Thus ensuring their continued success and the highest return that any other market.  Where are the independent research companies that work with doctors to find better drug options for the many chronic illnesses?  When new drugs are developed, they all have side affects that harm other parts of the body.  Example, an organ transplant patient must rely on immune suppressents to counter possible organ rejection.  Such as Prograf (brand name) is widely known to damage kidneys after taking it for years!

Dear b191210w

Do not be concerned by the leftist lies you are reading here and in the leftist press.

• No one is cutting  budgets at the cost of older citizens? The Medicare budget just passed almost doubles in the next 10 years.
  • You might think "Drug companies seem to develop medications that require us to rely on more maintenance drugs" but I don't think the 100,000 people saved from Hepatitis C with one course of treatment in the last few years using Medicare would agree with you. 
  • It is true that "When new drugs are developed, they all have side affects that harm other parts of the body." That of course has nothing to do with Medicare but is just the nature of chemistry and biology.

In summary, do not believe their lies. All the liars want to do is scare you so that you will send money to a political candidate.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 23

Why does the current president and his administration think cuts will improve budgets at the cost of older citizens?  As we live longer it seems we depend on more medications, Why?  I understand that as the body and mind ages, humans need more support with chronic illnesses.  Drug companies seem to develop medications that require us to rely on more maintenance drugs.  Thus ensuring their continued success and the highest return that any other market.  Where are the independent research companies that work with doctors to find better drug options for the many chronic illnesses?  When new drugs are developed, they all have side affects that harm other parts of the body.  Example, an organ transplant patient must rely on immune suppressents to counter possible organ rejection.  Such as Prograf (brand name) is widely known to damage kidneys after taking it for years!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 23

We could just throw all original Medicare Beneficiaries into the Coordinated Care program and save money or even require a pick of a personal care physician which would do all the referrals - .

AARP 08/31 /2017 - Medicare’s Coordinated Care Program Saves Big Bucks, Report Says

Woman LOL

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 23

charliej103 wrote:

No fake news my friend --- here is the WSJ excerp from this morning:

The Republican tax bill would force $25 billion in immediate cuts to Medicare, according to the Congressional Budget Office, a move that could be stopped only with a bipartisan vote.

As it is there are places here in Florida where I can't get an appointment with the doctor of my choosing even if I pay the difference.  CBO estimates the cuts will add up to 400 billion in 10 years.  By then I'll die from one of my chronic ailments.

As I said, read the actual CBO letter rather than depending on some analysis by someone else about what the letter said. it specifically does not say what your source claims it says. I personally think the Republicans will adhere to Paygo (that's what elminating the mandate is all about) but even if they don't, the OMB simply has to rule that Paygo does not apply. OMB "solely" has that right, as the CBO letter clearly states.

And the fact that you cannot get an appointment with a doctor of your choosing is totally off topic, totally irrelevant... that's the doctor's choice!! It has nothing to do with tax reform.

And there is no CBO estimate about $400 billion in cuts in 10 years. Just crazy talk, now (I assume you are referring to the fact that 18 months ago CBO estimated -- rounded -- that Medicare would spend $5 Trillion between 2017-2026 and the Budget Committee now estimates -- rounded -- that Medicare will spend $4.6 Trillion between 2018-2027. You are talking about a few percent difference in estimates that have no relevance anyways.  Most people are happy when they hear they will not have to spend as much on something as previously estimated.)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 23

charliej103 wrote:

The Republican tax bill would force $25 billion in immediate cuts to Medicare, according to the Congressional Budget Office, a move that could be stopped only with a bipartisan vote.

It is true that 60 votes in the Senate would overturn this provision --- how likely is it that the Bannon republicans will allow that?

As it is there are places here in Florida where I can't get an appointment with the doctor of my choosing even if I pay the difference.  CBO estimates the cuts will add up to 400 billion in 10 years.  By then I'll die from one of my chronic ailments.

What's so different?  And this isn't even near as much -

WAPO 08/30/2012 - How Congress Paid for Obamacare in Two Charts

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 23

charliej103 wrote:

If Congress passes their new tax bill, according to the Congressional Budget Office, it will mean a 25 billion dollar cut in Medicare in 2018.  That is because there already is a law that requires any tax cuts to be matched with spending cuts. This will trigger the Medicare cut.   Perhaps this is why the Republicans are so hot to trot in getting this passed before Christmas.  Write your congrssman and senator and tell them no way!

PayGo can be overridden by Congress.

Just like the reauthorization of CHIP - Democrats and Republican in Congress cannot agree on how they will pay for it so it has passed the House but with no agreement on how to pay for it - so come December 2017, both parties will vote to fund it WITHOUT PayGo.

So PayGo is only statutory when one party or the other wants it to be.

Hoyer Statement on the CBO’s Analysis that the GOP Tax Bill Will Trigger Statutory PAYGO Sequester C...

It is only a budget line "cut" - a cut in proposed spending - not actual spending which Everyday is attempted to be reduced by rule changes.

Almost everyday, CMS releases proposed rules or changes to rules, designed to save money.

CMS Newsroom - Press Releases

In fact, isn't that what the ACA did - took money from Medicare as a SAVINGS (???)

Savings / Cuts - seems like the definition varies according to which side of the isle you sit and the origin of the whatever proposal !

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 23

It is true that 60 votes in the Senate would overturn this provision --- how likely is it that the Bannon republicans will allow that?