AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Cochlear Implant

Message 1 of 2

lizwooten wrote:

I had my first cochlear implant in my right ear on February 13th. I just had surgery seven days ago for my left ear and it is healing very very well. They will turn the processor on on the 11th and I'm very excited. I am told that Medicare never pays for two implants... I guess I'm very special!

Special ?  I think you just fit into the Medicare guidelines.  But this is great.

Medicare clinical trials for a select group of hearing loss patients began back in 2005 and they were still going on in 2013 when this guidance of coverage was issued by CMS ( Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services).

CMS 07/03/2013 - last modified in 2015 -'Cochlear Implant Guidance

So it seems to go with your hearing loss and the actual cause of it - cochlear implants don't help everybody.  Since you have (2) ears and if your hearing loss is measured according to the guidance in each - then I guess you hit the jackpot.

Let us know how things go after the 11th - it is a miracle?

Somewhere in the Medicare literature, I thought I read that the implant itself is covered by Part B and it had to come from an approved supplier.

Yep - here it is

Medicare - Prosthetic Devices - Cochlear Implants

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Cochlear Implant

Message 2 of 2

I had my first cochlear implant in my right ear on February 13th. I just had surgery seven days ago for my left ear and it is healing very very well. They will turn the processor on on the 11th and I'm very excited. I am told that Medicare never pays for two implants... I guess I'm very special!

Report Inappropriate Content