The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: AHCA is unfair, unaffordable

Message 1 of 12 (845 Views)

I think the ACA was to help people who didn't have employee health benefits AND could not afford health insurance. Most people who chose to retire before age 65 did so because they could afford it and that included their own insurance. When we retired we could afford the $400/month we were paying for health insurance. It was much tougher to keep that after our premiums went up to $1650/month. That's when we switched to the Christian Healthcare sharing cooperative. When you read about millionaires getting subsidies...well, that's just ridiculous.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12 (853 Views)

mickeysutton wrote:

So because this is not the only program that does this, does that mean it's okay? When so many of us start accepting this because WE can take advantage of it, and it's not the only program that does this, then we lose accountability. We also start dulling our conscience. 

Not saying it is right or wrong - if they are getting any earnings from their investments like interest, dividends, etc. those are included in their modified adjusted gross income.  When they draw any amount out of their retirement account, that too is reported within their modified adjusted gross income.  

The ACA was designed to help people who did not have employer based health coverage and thus the tax benefit from it for both the employee and the employer.  The system was configured to mimic that as close as possible; thus the reasoning for no asset test, only a % of what health care coverage premiums should represent to income.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 12 (858 Views)

So because this is not the only program that does this, does that mean it's okay? When so many of us start accepting this because WE can take advantage of it, and it's not the only program that does this, then we lose accountability. We also start dulling our conscience. 

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (867 Views)

"....There is no secret to this and it is not the only program where eligibility is figured on a MAGI with NO asset determination....".

The contemporary meaning of The Gift of the Magi............

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 12 (880 Views)

Thank you for referring me to that article. So how many people might possibly be "using the system" to get these subsidies? These are people who could well afford to pay for their own insurance. If they did, they probably would not buy the gold or silver plans, but the bronze plans. If you have to pay for it yourself, you're a little more careful. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12 (887 Views)

You are right, mickeysutton - ACA tax credit subsidies are figured on a modified adjusted gross income method - no assets are used in the computation.

There is no secret to this and it is not the only program where eligibility is figured on a MAGI with NO asset determination.

You might find this interesting.

CNBC 01/27/2016 - They're Millionaires, and They Get Obamacare Subsidies

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 12 (895 Views)

I just want to mention some of the problems I've seen with the ACA (our current system). First of all, the subsidy system is an all or none. So if you can get your income under the bar, you get a large subsidy regardless of how far under that bar you are. For 2014, we checked into this, and we could have lowered our taxable income enough to qualify for a subsidy. With our house being paid for and not having a lot of outstanding debt, we could have lived comfortably on this income. Of course after the ACA went into effect, the new insurance rates for us went from the $400/month we were paying to about $1650/month. This was for one of the least expensive bronze plans. With the subsidy, our premiums would have been $162/month. When I told our insurance guy that I didn't think we would qualify for a subsidy because we had money in retirement accounts, he said that money doens't count unless you are making withdrawals. So I wonder how many people aged 59.5-65, are receiving subsidies, and have big retirement funds they could be using to help pay their insurance premiums. Are these some of the 22 million people they think won't have insurance? We didn't end up taking the subsidy because we didn't feel it was moral or ethical to ask other citizens to pay for our insurance. We did end up signing up for a Christian Healthcare Sharing Cooperative that we paid $396/month for until we qualified for Medicare. No, it didn't cover any preventative, or alcohol abuse programs, or drug abuse, etc. We did get a 20% discount for maintaining a healthy BMI and HgbA1C. What a novel idea; people taking some responsibility for their own health care! Maybe people wouldn't mind paying insurance if the costs weren't about triple of what they were before the ACA took effect. 

I recently recieved some auto-generated petitions from AARP that they wanted me to fill out and mail back to them and they would then mail to my senators and representative (I'm from WY so only one representative). I take issue that my membership dues are used to promote this propaganda. That whole mailing and remailing must have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 12 (991 Views)

AHCA should be looked at as the same as car insurance...once everyone is made to pitch in it would be more affordable. Also, if the big insurance companies stop paying their stock holders and CEOs millions of dollars then AHCA would be more affordable.

What is needed is a simple "single payer" plan. The administration should be helping to fix health instead of giving a BIG tax break to the wealthy. The wealthy will get a tax break with the Medicaid money.  Medicaid helps sick children, disabled and the elderly in nursing homes.  These 3 groups will suffer the most. Remember we are only as strong as our weakest. Lift up the weak and we will all be stronger for it. If we don't take care of making our weak strong we will all suffer.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (1,015 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

Nothing is affordable about this bill. It's a train wreck.

========================================

The link is about Obamacare and yes it shows that Obamacare is not affordable...I am glad you see that.

The link is to an opinion piece about the new Republican legislation moving through Congress.   The AHCA is not Obamacare.  Obamacare is also known as ACA.  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 12 (1,024 Views)
NerdyMom posted..

Nothing is affordable about this bill. It's a train wreck.

========================================

The link is about Obamacare and yes it shows that Obamacare is not affordable...I am glad you see that.