What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: AARP Medicare premiums for 2017?

Message 1 of 14

2018 IMRAA Part B increases.pngMARCA made changes that's going to impact IMRAA Part B premiums for 2018. If you make more then $133,501 but less than $214,000, you'll see an increase. 

Melissa Kay
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 14

GailL1 wrote:

Because the OP said this:

I was told that Medicare still takes a % of my income for Part B. I have
discussed this issue several times and I still have to pay. It seems as if I'm
paying double. Medicare stated that I'm not. I have been notified that there will be an increase for part B and Part D. I usually go to the doctor about 2 times a year. I am not on any regular meds. Yet, due to my income I have to pay more.

I assumed the OP was talking about the IRMAA  ( income-related monthly adjustment amount) for both Parts B and D.

That seems like a reasonable assumption. Surtax is just easier to write than "income-related monthly adjustment amount."

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 14

Because the OP said this:

I was told that Medicare still takes a % of my income for Part B. I have
discussed this issue several times and I still have to pay. It seems as if I'm
paying double. Medicare stated that I'm not. I have been notified that there will be an increase for part B and Part D. I usually go to the doctor about 2 times a year. I am not on any regular meds. Yet, due to my income I have to pay more.

I assumed the OP was talking about the IRMAA  ( income-related monthly adjustment amount) for both Parts B and D.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 14

sunday46 wrote:

11-24-17

Hello Community,

I too am confused about the way Medicare and my Independent Part D works.

I have spoken to Medicare and my provider of Part D. Although I pay for my 

Part D , I was told that Medicare still takes a % of my income for Part B. I have

discussed this issue several times and I still have to pay.  It seems as if I'm

paying double.  Medicare stated that I'm not. I have been notified that there will

be an increase for part B and Part D. I usually go to the doctor about 2 times a

year. I am not on any regular meds. Yet, due to my income I have to pay more.

Has anyone had a similar issue?  Please share with me.

It sounds like your complaint is two fold

1. Yes, even though you are on Medicare,

• -- you also have to keep paying a Medicare tax if you are receiving payroll-based income or self-employment income. This money goes into the Part A Trust Fund, not for Part B.
  • -- In addition, if you recently joined Medicare and chose Part B (most of us do but you do not have to but it sounds like you did), you will have to pay a Medicare Part B premium (and if your income was over a certain amount two years ago, possibly before you even joined Medicare, you will also have to pay a surtax)--see Note
  • -- None of this has anything to do with Part D (except that there is also a Part D surtax).

• -- Whether or not your Part B premium will increase in 2018 depends on a lot of factors too complicated to explain here. It probably will but you have no control over it either way.
  • -- Whether or not you will pay more for Part D in 2018 than 2017 depends entirely on what plan you pick for 2018 (there are typically a dozen or more choices in every county). You have complete control over this cost

Note: Lower income people do not pay for Medicare Part B or Part D upon application for the Medicare Savings Program, Social Security Extra Help/LIS, and -- if applicable -- a State Pharmacy Assistance Program. But from your complaint, it does not sound like any of these apply

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 14

sunday46 wrote:

11-24-17

Hello Community,

Part D , I was told that Medicare still takes a % of my income for Part B. I have

paying double.  Medicare stated that I'm not. I have been notified that there will

be an increase for part B and Part D. I usually go to the doctor about 2 times a

You can find answers to your questions in your annual "Medicare and You" booklet or reading the Medicare.gov website for the subjects for which you have questions.

I will try to give you a simplified answer to how Medicare works.

When you go on Medicare, you choose which way you want to receive your benefit - original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan ( Medicare PART C) Sounds like you have original Medicare - the choices are the same in what benefits are covered; they just do it in a different way.

During your working years, you paid into the Medicare system through payroll tax deductions, these were matched by your employer.  These payments, as long as you worked the required number of years, gives you Medicare PART A premium free.

Medicare PART A is your hospital benefit.  That is the only Medicare Part that is premium. free if you have worked long enought.

Medicare PART B is your doctor and other medical provider and outpatient coverage.  This part of Medicare is paid for by premiums and our country's (taxpayers) general fund.  Premiums (2018 premiums are $134 per month for most everybody) represent about 25% of the overall cost of the program; taxpayers pick up the other 75%.

Medicare PART D is your prescription drug coverage.  It is again paid for by premiums and taxpayer money.  

If you are a higher income senior ( over $85,000 per year -single), you are assessed a premium surcharge for both Parts B and D just because Medicare needs the money and you are considered high income.

Medicare.gov - Part D premiums for Higher income Seniors

Forgot this link, edited to add:

Medicare.gov - 2017/2018 Part B Premiums for Higher Income Seniors

Hope this helps -  you will have to give a better explanation if I am interpreting your post questions incorrectly.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 14

11-24-17

Hello Community,

Continue to take care of yourselves and keep warm . Winter is on its way.

Enjoy each day by yourself, with family and friends.

I am truly blessed and so are you !

Keep in Touch, Okay?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 14

cgrantski wrote:

Okay, I am now officially Confused with a capital C.  I have a PhD and also have been some kind of administrator all my life, but I have to say that the Medicare family of decisions has thrown me for a loop.  Thank you very much for the detailed responses!  I will re-read them carefully and figure out what's going on.  So far, and this is approximately ALL I care about at this point, my few doctor visits since signing up have seemed to be entirely covered.  I have to figure out what might happen in the future (or the next few months) that won't be covered.

Thanks again.

If your doctor visits were "entirely covered," you must already have a supplement? Or were they just an Intro to Medicare physical (no co-pay since 2002) and a flu shot (no co-pay since 1992)? Depending on your sex, almost every other type of diagnostic service covered by Medicare has a co-pay. And the dollar amount of that co-pay without a supplement of some type is unlimited (typically it is the total of multiple co-pays of course as multiple providers get involved with something that could be financially devastating)

But ignore all our comments and just go to page 17 of "Medicare and You, 2017." It is all there on one page, very simple. It's highly likely that it is the same choice you have had your whole working life: a variation on "Do you want old fashioned Blue Cross OR an HMO."

2017manyou.jpg

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 14

Okay, I am now officially Confused with a capital C.  I have a PhD and also have been some kind of administrator all my life, but I have to say that the Medicare family of decisions has thrown me for a loop.  Thank you very much for the detailed responses!  I will re-read them carefully and figure out what's going on.  So far, and this is approximately ALL I care about at this point, my few doctor visits since signing up have seemed to be entirely covered.  I have to figure out what might happen in the future (or the next few months) that won't be covered.

Thanks again.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 14

cgrantski wrote:

My personal "open enrollment" period for the supplemental plan lasts for a few more months.  Phew.

Just remember (based on some guessing based on reading your two comments in their entirety and some reading between the lines of your two comments ):

1. You now have no coverage for what could be substantial amounts of money (20% co-pays of the Medicare list price of any services you might need up until when you sign up and the plan becomes official)

2. I assume you do not have a group retirement health plan option (if you did, you would not bother to post the comments?). I also assume you are not getting health insurance from a current employer (if you were, you would not be talking about your personal "open enrollment" period). Therefore remember you need to have already signed up for both Parts A and B of Medicare and have the number in your hand or head when you are ready to sign up for more insurance, whether you decide on a private Medigap supplement or a public Part C health plan

3. You have only until November 1 (end of seventh month of your Initial Enrollment Period) to add a Part C plan for this year. But you have until December 7 to add a Part C plan for next year

4. Again, reading between the lines, it sounds like you are going with a private Medigap supplement. You technically have until December 31 (six months after you enrolled in Part B?) but waiting until the last minute means the coverage might not start January 1. As Gail states, it all depends on what state you live in. In my state (Massachusetts), you can sign up any day effective the first day of the next month... no questions asked... no underwriting. But that is not true in every  state

5. One thing you almost certainly cannot do anywhere is sign up for a supplement in the ambulance... so look back to point 1

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 14

You're correct.  I was completely confused about Medicare vs supplemental plans (I'm a newbie to all this and just got into the system in July; I gotta say the whole thing is a little complicated).  My personal "open enrollment" period for the supplemental plan lasts for a few more months.  Phew.

Thank you for straightening me out.