Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Contributor

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Over the past year we have had our auto insurance through AARP and the Hartford, paying $2,497 for two vehicles. It is renewal time and our Agent tells us that The Hartford has decided to increase their rates across the tri-county area in south Florida. Our renewal policy increased $690 annually. This, in spite of our clear driving record.

My agent also tells us that it is a strategy the company has taken to reduce risk. They know that X% will drop them and switch to another company. They also know that Y% will continue with them and pay the higher rate, offsetting the lost revenue. So the insurance company, in the end, is able to maintain revenue with a smaller customer base and thus reduce their exposure to risk. Great plan for the company unless the value of X turns out greater than expected.

Although I think the Hartford is a top notch company I am one of the X's and am switching to another well regarded company with similar coverage, including accident forgiveness, paying slightly less than I did in 2016.

I share this in the interest of increasing awareness and motivating AARP to address this with the company and, if that doesn't happen, possibly making "X" greater than anticipated for companies that do this.

Contributor

You are just complaining here about the increase of auto insurance company charges in the USA that is not a complete truth. I am living in the UK and I have to cancel my annual insurance due to increment in insurance cost. In this bad situation, I decided to rely on one-day van insurance plan because their cost was effective. All in all, financial system of European countries is needed great improvements. 

Contributor

I had my Hartford through Costco and saw that type of raise..I live in Mich and was told they raised the premium do to natural disasters.

My medcap ins. also went up 30%..

Drug prices went up.

Nothing goes up 10.00 anymore. .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was just getting ready to swich from my auto insurance company i have now to Hartford. After reading these comments i changed my mind. I wil stay were i  am and just pay it , and keep my mouth shut.

Contributor

Check out Esurance. Allstate is it’s parent company. I pay 146.00 and that is after the latest increase. I recently got a few quotes when mine went from 135. To 146. It was staggering to say the least. 146. It’s nothing compared to what I saw.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hartford auto premiums up 24 - 31% down here in Georgia.  Three vehicles for a total average increase of 26% over last year.  No tickets, no accidents, retired, only pleasure driving.

Contributor

Try close to 300%. I had full coverage insurance through The Hartford on a motorhome last year for $290 +/- and was just quoted $1100 +/- for a similar motorhome. I have since received a quote elsewhere for better coverage for $430, $392 if I pay in full. These are all yearly premiums. I am beginning to regret paying for a 5 year renewal for AARP since I haven't saved anything on insurance or motels lately. I always reserve motels online and never have to prove AARP membership. <wink, wink

0 Kudos
Contributor

Check out Esurance
0 Kudos

Wow. I just joined AARP because I heard Hartford had good, reasonable priced auto insurance. I've had Nationwide since early 80's, but they just greatly increased my premium; my story is similar to these folks experience with Hartford.  For sure I don't want to switch to Hartford. But perhaps AARP is still worthwhile as this discussion has really helped. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Contributor

our rates nearly doubled, no tickets, no accidents, retired, recreational driving only. 2 cars, we were paying $2000/yr. raised to $3700. We are X out.
Honored Social Butterfly

"...our Agent tells us that The Hartford has decided to increase their rates across the tri-county area in south Florida. Our renewal policy increased $690 annually. This, in spite of our clear driving record...".

You do realize your rates are largely based on the 'loss experience' for the company in a given geographical area. It matters little how good a driver you are. The rates are determines by how bad everyone else is.  I looked up crash stats for Florida. I couldn't believe the percentage increases.  Broward is up almost 11%. Other southern counties, not so much, but still significant.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

Thanks for your response. Agreed, however other insurance companies servicing this area face the same driving population and their rates do not appear to have similarly increased.

This strategy is not my supposition but what a trusted insurance professional has explained to us.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP