Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Some Real World Dating Advice for Men Over 50

Message 1 of 15 (758 Views)
Lots of good advice and so true. thanks, Janetta
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 15 (850 Views)
I know plenty of ladies but I'm just not interested in dating. I'm the George Costanza, "It's not you, it's me." I value female friendship but anything beyond leads to too many complications. Been there, done that.
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 15 (1,011 Views)

OMG!!!  Loved this, especially the line of smelling BS.  The last one really hit home.  As someone who has been doing the online dating thing for the past 16mon since my hubby of 20+yrs and I separated. Good grief!  The number of men online that are so afraid of taking a step of any kind to meet someone they may actually like is absolutely astounding!

If I were going to add anything to this it would be "don't wait for someone else to make the first step.  If you are interested in getting to know someone better and want to meet them, ask for a date.  If you don't, someone else will."  PERIOD!!!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Some Real World Dating Advice for Men Over 50 an update

Message 4 of 15 (1,573 Views)

We know a retired couple who met on the internet. They chatted for a year, then moved in together and are in a state of bliss over a year later. The thing is, when he told me how he met her, he was immediately apologetic, as if expecting me to scold him. Instead I told him I was absolutely thrilled for them and beyond happy they had found one another. 

I've no idea how they have worked out the financial, property and adult children issues, for frankly, that's none of my business.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 15 (1,578 Views)

"...There is little doubt that we are biased. Had it not been for the internet we would never had met and our futures would have changed from extremely happy to who knows what....".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with meeting on the internet.  You should have a positive bias for it. The issues arise when people think they are having a 'relationship' by texting one another, or thinking they are having a 'conversation' via email. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 15 (1,686 Views)

First of all, congratulations Conversationalist. And best of luck to you!

I was very heartened to see Irishmists post such an on point comment about what we men should he thinking about when we go back into dating. As a single male for the past 8 years, I have had my share of misadventures disguised as bad dates. Well, bad from her perspective. I did not have a clue. I was unceremoniously dumped by my latest ex-wife and found myself basically a mess. My dating exploits would have made 50 First Dates a horror flick.

My internet profile picture was the “Dummy” in Dating for Dummys.

A friend of mine who is new to the 50+ dating scene asked me just last night what is the biggest difference between now and then. I couldn’t name just one, but I started with, she is not the same woman you dated when you were in your 20s. She is free, has her own life and does not need a man. And she is not looking for someone who “needs” her.

I believe the most important trait in the early stages of a relationship is listening. Actually not just in dating, but in life. You will get a chance to tell your stories. Listen to hers. Be genuinely interested. Pay attention. It is natural for people to like to talk about themselves. It makes them feel good if someone responds positively to it. Ask follow up questions and wait for her to make it your turn.

I learned a lot of things the hard way. Therapy and learning from 50 Worst Dates helped me deal with the reality of dating at this age. I have a lot more I could say but I don’t want to waste your time if you are not interested. If you are http://bit.ly/2bHSitu. Thank you Irishmists.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 15 (2,242 Views)

Thanks for the comments. 

An an update seems appropriate. It has been almost three years since we met and we are still very much in love and happy. We gave up very little to achieve this happiness. For example we split every day expenses based on odd and even days, I have odd days and she has even days. We both kept our own houses. We live in hers two weeks out of the month and in mine two weeks of the month. We realize each of us has foibles, habits etc. and made no effort to end them.

Two of our common interests is traveling and writing. In our travels we met a number of couples who met like we did. The conversations that followed were not only enlightening but also helped advance some of the concepts, about meeting on the internet, we believed to be true. These conversations prompted us to write a book whose goal is to assist those looking for someone using internet dating sites. After about a year of writing the book is at an editor, and we will publish it this summer.

There is little doubt that we are biased. Had it not been for the internet we would never had met and our futures would have changed from extremely happy to who knows what. I will take extremely happy any day.

Webster Russell
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 15 (2,250 Views)

Very nice Webster.  I really appreciate your story.  It gives me hope.  I'm 55 and have been divorced for almost 2 years.  This is so new to me and I want to enjoy it but there is some aprehension about dating. 

Silver Conversationalist

Message 9 of 15 (2,411 Views)

BINGO! I like your number 5  "I don't do drama".  I see many posts with the statements...........

"AND NO DRAMA PLEASE"...........................really, I think to myself.

Is not life filled with drama? As we get older do we just let all of our emotions leave us and become unfeeling and unthinking?????????????

Statistically men that reach the 50ish age bracket should have a clue about relationships, yeah I know, sorry ladies, it takes us that long to get the wisdom we need, just the way that it is.

Since I am a man, here is my advice for any man. Look at her for the "Look".

Remember the "Look" guys?????

Only a woman can give you that special look. It's in her eyes (AND NOT THE BEDROOM EYES).  That "LOOK" she has when you enter a room........It doesn't matter if she is 18 or 118, a woman's look will always remain one of the most grandest looks on earth. If you miss the look, then your still a fool..................and by the way guys, if your starring and rating her breasts to measure up to your standards....................YOU WILL MISS HER LOOK...................because she will stop looking at you because she knows what you are looking at and focused on. So you best read Irishmists post, she is correct on her thoughts and ideas. And not only 50+ year woman think this way, women have always have thought this way even when they were 18 years old, we men are the ones who got MOST of it wrong, we didn't really mean to screw things up, but we did it all the same.

I also agree with Irishmist, we men and women all get old, we get wrinkles, get some grey hair, we might lose hair, etc. but that's no reason to not try and maintain what we have left and wear some clean clothes once in a while  Smiley Happy.............................and DO NOT give up on yourself because you are getting OLD. Quit sitting around thinking of how nice it would B2B 25 years old again, too late, those years are gone, chin up and have fun with what you have and what time you have left.

If you get that look from a woman again in your life, then as suggested in the original post,

don't  lie to her AT ALL 

(LYING IS THE TOP of the DO NOT DO LIST with woman, so don't do it)

and tell her everything she wants to know about you. Tell her about your past mistakes if she wants to know and you might just have your new best friend, and that's what it's all about. 

I disagree with Irishmists post concerning the statement:

"we can smell a line of BS at 50 paces"

guys........ Women can smell a line of BS from 500 paces and beyond that!, they always could, they just tolerated it when they were younger ladies. Am I wrong here ladies? I think not.

So guys, READ Irishmists post, read it another 10 times so it will sink in, and read the replies to the post..........................bottom line is gentlemen, it's what most woman WANT, it's what they have always wanted.................and it's time for us men to want the same thing...............an honest relationship, some smiles and laughs together, a hand to hold, side by side and a best friend, all the other stuff will naturally fall into place if you give it a chance too.

On second thought guys, read the original post another 20 times..........just in case it doesn't sink in at first Smiley Happy

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 15 (2,470 Views)

BRAVO!!! I totally agree! Smiley Happy