Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Home & Relationships

Community Manager
AARPTeri

Does Age Really Matter?

What do you think about dating someone 20 or more years different than you?
68-year-old Michael Douglas and 43-year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones, have survived a long partnership through some rough times.  Recently, 65-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, married a 34-year-old theater producer Sally Humphreys his (third) bride in December 2012.

Should you date your own age or find someone you are compatible with no matter what their age?

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPTeri

Does Age Really Matter?

What do you think about dating someone 20 or more years different than you?
68-year-old Michael Douglas and 43-year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones, have survived a long partnership through some rough times.  Recently, 65-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, married a 34-year-old theater producer Sally Humphreys his (third) bride in December 2012.

Should you date your own age or find someone you are compatible with no matter what their age?

AARPTeri
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
nogardtsrif

Re: Does Age Really Matter?

I don't think it matters. I married one 20 younger it worked. The thing is you are going to be looked at as either a dirty old man or a cougar.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
NJEICH1

I believe that a large age difference does make a difference.  Not only because of a generation attitude on current affairs or moral beliefs but on a physical level.

Dating or having a relationship with someone within five years of your own age is I would say a much more level field.  I am a number of years younger than my own husband and their is a distinct difference in how we think and in other areas.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
cindylo

In response to "Does Age Really Matter?":
What do you think about dating someone 20 or more years different than you? 68-year-old Michael Douglas and 43-year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones, have survived a long partnership through some rough times.  Recently, 65-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, married a 34-year-old theater producer Sally Humphreys his (third) bride in December 2012. Should you date your own age or find someone you are compatible with no matter what their age?
Posted by AARPTeri

Age doesn't matter, compatibility does. The problem for older single women like me is that men my age don't want us. They want younger. Believe me 65 is hard to start over!
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
davidjaycrispin

Date younger = act younger = feel younger = be more healthy.  At least this has been my personal experience.  My wife is 17 years younger than I.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
GBooo

It does not matter to me.  My boyfriend is 16 years younger and we have an awesome connection with great Karma and Sex.  We are both happy and that is all that matters.  We do get some folks that roll their eyes when they see us together but, I could care less.  If people think that I am after the sex and he is after my money screw them,  We know better.Cool
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
Writerpete

I'm 64, but do you really think I want to date Aunt Bea? 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
xhal

Of course age matters. For one thing, odds are if you are the younger partner you will not die first, or even close to the older person. At most 10 years is the practicle minimum difference in age for marriage. Check out this site:
http://new30myass.com
For more about this subject.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
salsa50

As with anything, there is no "pat" answer! It totally depends on the persons..not the number (age)! My late husband was almost 15 yrs older & we had a wonderful 42 yrs together..I now would like to find someone younger b/c, so far, every man close to my age acts soooooo old. Late husband never acted, thought, or dressed that way. Everyone is different!!!
Please use plain text.