Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

AARP DATING SITE

I have placed my profile on this site to try and meet someone that is compatible with me in my area that maybe I can began a with and see where it goes. The problem is there is a hacker of kind that is pretending to be someone he is not with pictures and profiles that tries to befriend you but it is something in the dialogue that lets you know that it is not quite right. So far I have been able to depict him within the first conservation or so but it has gotten frustrating. His responses are dead give aways. Somehow he lets me know that it is him or a friend. One thing that I have discovered is the are not from the United States. One of the conversations got to the sob story about hard times and I immediately knew that the money question was coming next but I stopped him dead in his tracks before he could board that ship. I have emailed howaboutwe.com because I am very disappointed with the paid membership but have not received a response to date. Can you folks tell me your opinion and experiences with Online dating? Please give me suggestions on how to proceed. I am 56 ( or will be next Friday) but I am ready for a relationship now that all the children are grown and on their own. I am a 2 time divorcee so i don't have patience for nonsense and playing games.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @mk87967507 

Was your contact information removed with private messages?  Just curious....

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello
How are you,
Please contact me on my private email,i want to tell you something important [Email removed for security reasons]

0 Kudos

I am great 72 going strong.  Artist tapestry weaver, boxing 🥊 sparring 5 yrs.  5’3” 135 pounds. Grandma my favorite title 2 great grandchildren.   Live in truckee California 

@LittieJ471945 wrote:

Hello
How are you,
Please contact me on my private email,i want to tell you something important [Email removed for security reasons]

Periodic Contributor

I want to meet other AARP members, who wish

to talk.  My name is Matthew, (Message edited to remove personal information).   Age 66.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It seems no one really wants an AARP Dating Site because it is far easier to complain about dating than actual date. Dating is not sex or marriage.  It is not about finding the right person and crossing off who we believe is not compatible.  Instead we engage in senseless banter about our own personal concerns or generalized criticism of the opposite sex.

AARP dating could work if its goal was to bring people together beyond disjointed postings and unconnected topics.  Dating requires getting to know someone and joining together with them to do something productive.

Regular Contributor

I Agree.......

0 Kudos
Contributor

I totally agree, i will be 51 this year and recently single, just looking to date and chit chat but its hard because I'm not interested in your past our to discuss mine lol...i rather talk about what Coffee you like instead

0 Kudos

Hi Greetings warmly in the AARP Dating Site,

I'm up this morning and seen  your post and sounded interesting.  I am 56 and been divorced since 2009.  I been on my own since 2008.  I am looking for someone that can communicate and we can bounce off information back and forth that we are compatible with. 

Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

You sound lntresting. I would like to talk with you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Contact me. Let's see what happens.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi,  this is pattycakes67 and wasn't sure if your message was for me or another person on this site....l find it a bit difficult trying to navigate here and usually can't  respond to messages without messaging every one else. If not mgs for me....please accept apology and do have a pleasant day!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@TeresaW749156 

Morning Teresa 

Welcome to Our Community 

Want to let you know if you are responding to a particular person's posts When you post put @ [just as I did you above]  it'll bring up list of persons posted just pick them out of list that way we will know who you are posting/replying to

AARP doesn't have a dating app or service which is what this post is about but you certainly can meet others here and send private messages to others if you desire; which use if you want to give out personal information if you post your email or other info They'll remove it so its best to use the message system 

Any questions Just post and folks will help you 

Again Welcome & Good luck 

Have a beautiful day !

Ginger  :  ) 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@TeresaW749156 

Also Teresa there are tons of Forums in the Community 

Front Porch has folks who check in everyday 

Lots of topics you can read and posts to. ... Enjoy the discovery of it all

Ginger  :  ) 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You're welcome Ginger.  Being a single senior citizen is not easy and definitely not for wussies but I believe that we're a tough breed though.  While becoming single again, at this point in my life, was devastating, it most certainly wasn't the worst thing that could have ever happened to me.  I don't say that to trivilize or disrespect anyone else's devastation of becoming single and alone at this age, I just want to express that we can survive and we can move on to still live fulfilling lives.  It's just that our lives will be different; we develop a new normal, of sorts.

Anyway, I wish you well and I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever that may be.  Have a wonderful weekend.

Donne:)

Social Butterfly

@2beingme 

Hi Donne Thanks 

Indeed as song Says "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"

Me & my mom & friend Tulia always said getting older isn't for sissies 

We become stronger from living and going through our experiences which gives me better insight to what desire for my life to no longer settle. 

Happy is a choice 

Thanks for sharing 

Ginger : ) 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Once again, I can't praise MeetUps enough.  For anyone interested in more info on it, here is the website https://www.meetup.com/.  You can create a profile and bio and then search for groups and events in your area.  I live in SoCA, in Los Angeles County, in downtown Glendale, which is just nine miles north of downtown Los Angeles so I'm really fortunate that there are literally hundreds of groups and events in my area.  I've been an active member for three years and have had a really wonderful experience and have met so many incredible people, some of who turned out to be really great dates (some great stories for another time).

In retrospect, I'm not sure I would recommend that newly single people do what I did when I found myself single again at 53.  At the time, I hadn't dated since 1992 and had spent most of my adult life as a wife.  Needless to say, I was devastated and the demise of my marriage was life altering and I knew that life as I knew it would never be the same.  Subsequently, I made some really drastic changes in my life and my life today is kind of a 180 degree from what it used to be.  Not everyone can do that; it really takes a certain kind of person to do that - it's definitely not for everyone.

I left the nice house out in the burbs (Ventura County), with it's 90+min daily commute (rt) to work for a small apartment in downtown Glendale, 7blks from my office and a 30min daily (rt) walk to work.  Out in "Reagan Country" (hubby and I lived a few blks from the Reagan library), I was a closet Democrat and I never really felt like I belonged there.  The first thing I did when I left and moved to Glendale was join the local Democratic Club, where we were instrumental in collecting enough signatures to get an initiative on the local ballot.  It's been a good experience for me by meeting people who have a similar mindset and who share a lot of the same attitudes and philosophies.

I also bought a bicycle and joined the local Ciclavia club and began cycling; they have numerous events and functions in the area; I also began attending MeetUp bike events.  I then started going to other events and joining other groups with other members I was meeting.  Some of my fave groups and events are my hiking groups as well as some of my social groups.  I also joined a bowling league at the bowling alley around the corner from my apartment and started meeting people in my neighborhood. 

Glendale is also a very thriving community with so many restaurants, shopping areas and entertainment destinations and the city hosts a lot of different community functions and events where they close down several blocks of Brand Blvd (major blvd through the downtown area) for the day.  It's a great opportunity to hang out with friends, neighbors and coworkers; it also makes for some great dating opportunities.

After 18yrs in my professional industry, where I was a pretty passive member, I became more involved and joined a committee that organizes a couple of their annual events.  I also started going to more of the regular meetings and just started getting to know a lot of people that I've known about for a long time but never really associated with very often.  Subsequently, my professional life has become more rewarding and successful.

I could go on but the point is, I just started becoming a lot more active and sociable than I had been for a very long time.  Being married, I had kind of insulated myself in my own little "married" world and when I became single again, I did a lot of things that prevented me from insulating and/or isolating myself again.  I will never marry again (twice was enough) and I will never return to the kind of life I had before.  I love the life I have now and it's not that I didn't love my previous life or that I didn't love being married because I did.  However, my life is different now and I just no longer want to go back to living the way I used to.

Anyway, coffee break is over and I need to get back to work; I've babbled on long enough.  For those who are newly single and looking for ways to develop "meaningful connections", I strongly suggest that you start to look for opportunities where you can meet more people that share some of the same interests that you have.  It's my personal opinion, based on my own personal experiences, that the best way to meet viable dating prospects is through people you already know.  Whether that is through friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or some other acquaintance or associate, these are the people who are going to probably be the best way to expand your social circle.   

Social Butterfly

@2beingme 

Hey thanks so much for sharing your story 

Your an inspiration to me & others

My marriage ended just over 5 years ago the 1st couple years were tough was living on my own for 1st time in my life at 56 years of age & lost my Mom & a best  friend of 25+years almost 4 years ago It all was a big whammy on my life. I too was devastated and knew my life would never be same hadn't dated since 1995 & dating doesn't seem to be same these days. 

I have  moved twice.  I couldn't or didn't want to stay in home we'd built 4 years before but was hard losing my 15 acres had with my 2 boys b4 met him 

I also never want to marry again.... been there done that 

Since can't work even being an outgoing person who enjoys being around others and usually made friends found husbands while working its tough finding connections 

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions & giving me hope things will better just gotta put one foot in front of other & seek out others 

I don't have a bad life plus also realize things happened for reason & I have been blessed alot & keep trying to accept change can be a friend not the end of the world which I felt when all the dominoes in my life were falling apart 

Thanks & hopeful,

Ginger  : ) 

I’m just joining to see what your format is  like and your clients. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

LMAO!!!  Well said BruceT.  You just described most of the first dates I had from the different dating sites I've tried in the past three years since I've been single again (after a decades long marriage).  Unfortunately, only a very small percentage of those dates ever led to a second date. 

Most of the best dates I've had in the past three years were with people I already knew, either through a mutal friend, the professional industry I work in, a community event or through one of my MeetUp groups (I belong to several).  This is why I no longer have any profiles on any dating websites.  It's also why dating websites are a really poor dating resource.

By the time one reaches this point in their life (50's & 60's), the whole insta-chemisty notion is just ridiculous.  Most of us have years of experience with satisfying and fullfilling, long-term relationships to know that it doesn't happen instantly.

Trusted Contributor

So well said. Because most of us have had close rewarding relationships, it is depressing to engage in superficial judgemental bable with another person who wants intimacy too. 

Periodic Contributor

No such thing as an official AARP dating site? Well, that explains a lot. I've seen it supposedly listed on Bing & Google, but no doubt by less than honest people just wanting to get clicks and therefore commissions, but couldn't find anything on AARP<dot>COM that resembled a dating site.

So I put a little info about myself in a post here, and hope someone finds it who could become a good friend. Here's hoping!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I also would be attracted to an AARP dating site for the reasons AARP has always been a sign of honesty, integrity, always on the look out to help Seniors.

Why not, AARP?  You could put the money toward more programs to help Seniors. A lot of us didn't expect out later years to be so challenging financially, nor did we expect to be alone. Easy to live frugally when you have someone to share the good times and difficult times. Personally, I am really tired of not having a mate to love and share our lives. 

I can't just sit around waiting for him! I have a lot to do and would have more fun doing it together!

Contributor

Thanks for the info, I was just looking today because I thought idnseen it advertised somewhere. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Midgekin@SizlinTeapot620 - I think that AARP tried to do something of a dating website way back. But the reality is that people here/AARP members expected it to be free, whereas other better quality dating websites charge for their services. AARP members expected participants to be "checked out", so it would be safe .. but it's a very expensive proposition to do any level of background checks, and would be very risky if AARP implied that they did "check people out", but that wasn't as thorough as people expected. So bottom line is that while there are several singles discussion groups here, to my knowledge there's no "Dating Website" as such.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Are you still single?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the education on why AARP does not have a dating website.  The information certainly explains the reasoning behind why there isn't a dating website associated with AARP.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Midgekin - I don't work for AARP, but I will say that they "helped" one of the singles groups in Online Community, by assigning two "dating experts" to it. All I'll say is based on their "help", I wouldn't want to participate in a dating website AARP managed.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Honestly, my interest in any of the dating websites is almost non-existent at this point.  It's hard enough to trust people you meet in person let alone those hiding behind an online "persona".  I posted the original query quite some time ago and am quite surprised to all of a sudden have a flurry of responses.  As for me, I'm not interested in going down the online path at this time.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Midgekin - Periodically, AARP does an article on a subject, and includes links to discussions in Online Community. I doubt they bother checking how old the most recent posting was, so suddenly there's a flurry of new activity when a discussion's been over for a long time.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP