Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP DATING SITE

Contributor

AARP DATING SITE

I have placed my profile on this site to try and meet someone that is compatible with me in my area that maybe I can began a with and see where it goes. The problem is there is a hacker of kind that is pretending to be someone he is not with pictures and profiles that tries to befriend you but it is something in the dialogue that lets you know that it is not quite right. So far I have been able to depict him within the first conservation or so but it has gotten frustrating. His responses are dead give aways. Somehow he lets me know that it is him or a friend. One thing that I have discovered is the are not from the United States. One of the conversations got to the sob story about hard times and I immediately knew that the money question was coming next but I stopped him dead in his tracks before he could board that ship. I have emailed howaboutwe.com because I am very disappointed with the paid membership but have not received a response to date. Can you folks tell me your opinion and experiences with Online dating? Please give me suggestions on how to proceed. I am 56 ( or will be next Friday) but I am ready for a relationship now that all the children are grown and on their own. I am a 2 time divorcee so i don't have patience for nonsense and playing games.

Super Contributor

I don't know why there isn't a screened dating site on AARP because it's a great way for seniors who are seeking to marry to meet.
0 Kudos

Your meeting me now

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@r447879w - I believe they did partner with another company to have a dating website for a while. But there's a lot of competition, and most sites now charge a fee. How much would AARP members be willing to pay, for the sort of screening they probably want? Then come all the complex questions about who would be allowed to use the AARP dating website (age-wise), which would either be a problem for all the AARP-eligible people who want to meet someone a lot younger than themselves, or the AARP-eligible people who don't want to be propositioned by people much younger!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

When I go into what is advertised as AARP Dating Site, I put in www.aarp.org/dating.  They advertise that it is a FREE Dating Site.  I saw other sites noted on AARP, but none of them are FREE, so it would seem there is false advertising by someone going on here.  That is why so many are calling it the AARP Dating Site.  It is being advertised that way with no disclaimers.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Agree!
~SL
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When I go to that site, nothing comes up. I have tried several dating sites with no luck. I think that older people are set in their ways and don't want to bend. It is even harder for me to meet someone because I am gay.

0 Kudos
Contributor

You're slicing and dicing.  Google "AARP Dating site" - it takes you to AARP.  Receive a message from someone on the date site - it's titled "AARP Dating" in your inbox - you log in to AARP.  Join and you get billed by "AARP."  News articles by NPR, NY Times - "AARP Dating site."  I don't care who is 'pushing the buttons' or 'flipping the switches' behind the scenes - AARP does the advertising, takes the monthly fees, and has their brand/logo associated with each and every item related to this dating site.  AARP should be responsive and monitoring who they link their name and millions of members to...no different than me monitoring who my son is 'dating' -  no pun intended.

I would not hesitate to say that thousands of AARP members who are not computer savvy and do not understand the 'back door' relationship also assume all is controlled by AARP - which it is.  AARP signed the contract, agreed to the terms, and money exchanges hands; seems like they need to re-visit the relationship due to the relationship issues arising....

Regular Social Butterfly

Well said,  Yanch22  ! 

You are absolutely correct.   Unfortunately,  it will roll right off and fail to sink in to many here.    

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well ladies and gentlemen 

I feel that we should start an AARP Dating website what do you think about this, please share your insight can’t wait to hear back from you all. We deserve and Desire love or friendship as well.

Periodic Contributor

like the idea

Regular Contributor

Go for it,but make sure people are serious. Go for it.

John

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@am94177318 wrote:

I have placed my profile on this site to try and meet someone that is compatible with me in my area that maybe I can began a with and see where it goes. The problem is there is a hacker of kind that is pretending to be someone he is not with pictures and profiles that tries to befriend you but it is something in the dialogue that lets you know that it is not quite right. So far I have been able to depict him within the first conservation or so but it has gotten frustrating. His responses are dead give aways. Somehow he lets me know that it is him or a friend. One thing that I have discovered is the are not from the United States. One of the conversations got to the sob story about hard times and I immediately knew that the money question was coming next but I stopped him dead in his tracks before he could board that ship. I have emailed howaboutwe.com because I am very disappointed with the paid membership but have not received a response to date. Can you folks tell me your opinion and experiences with Online dating? Please give me suggestions on how to proceed. I am 56 ( or will be next Friday) but I am ready for a relationship now that all the children are grown and on their own. I am a 2 time divorcee so i don't have patience for nonsense and playing games.

AARP's website .. where you're posting your comment .. is NOT a dating website. This section of it is called "Online Community", and is open for a wide variety of discussions.

This person sounds like a scam artist, and may be phishing for information about women who post that they're single & interested. A "hacker" is someone who breaks into websites, either to scre.w up the programming, or get private information to which they shouldn't have access.

My guess is that very few online dating services will engage you in a discussion about how satisfied you are, beyond saying that they're "sorry you feel that way".

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Contributor

My experience with online dating has been a disaster. Fake profiles, scammers, and jerks trying to get their rocks off. It is sad that the majority of people on these sites aren't sincere. They don't make em like they used to!

Regular Contributor

I agree completely. It has impacted my ability to trust men. 

~SL
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Were out here, maybe you are looking in the wrong places? 

Big world ya know, I agree with the dating site BS, just an overall smoke screen for someone to tell you who they want to be and in reality of who they are not.

I guess it all depends what a person is looking for. I see many woman in many places, but I don't see "the woman".  I suppose it gets harder to find someone when you are looking for the "one".

Did you ever here other people saying they can't find anyone? I watched people closely wherever I went for a few days.  All I saw was people looking at their Iphones or/and looking down at the ground when going into a shopping center, the gas stations,  the supermarket, etc. It was really strange to watch other people not even hardly make contact with other people. So it's a no wonder nobody can find anyone if they are looking in all the wrong places.

Best wishes to ya, and keep looking, there are still some out here made to your specifications, look everywhere and you will find the right one looking back.

Super Contributor

I agree. 🙂
Honored Social Butterfly

This is just my opinion, but I have NEVER found a dating site that is not filled with the wrong type of men. I am not a member of the one you speak of, but I am sure it is no different. I did meet one nice man a long time ago, but that is the only one. He moved from the area and I am sure he found a nice partner for the rest of his life. I have had men tell me to wise up that these sites are only for sex. The last one I met came on like gangbusters and the date lasted less than 20 minutes. I think I broke some kind of record. When we got in his car he started to tell me if we were going to have a relationship, I would need to stay in touch with him regularly. I told him that is a deal breaker, I don't stay on the phone with someone. I asked him to turn around and take me back home. I don't need a insecure man in my life.

I have a male friend who lost his wife. He jumped back into the dating scene on Match and met someone. I think they lived together until a suitable time passed and then married. Recently he told me she is a con artist, contributes nothing and is selling off much of what he owns. I suggested a lawyer to him. He did tell me his home has been put into his daughter's name. I know it is a touchy subject since she is his wife, but I also suggested that he talk to his daughter and tell her the whole story. I don't think men like to think they have been taken. Perhaps his daughter could have him stay with her for awhile and give the old broad 10 days to get out of the house. She could say it was being sold. My friend said he was afraid of being alone. I told him it is much better to be alone than with someone you cannot trust.

I really veered off with this, but the bottom line is no one could pay me to be on one of those sites.

Soosie
Periodic Contributor

I have recently moved to South FL after many years in business in Brazil ( originaly NY ) have gone on 2 dating sites. Due to a mini stroke I don't drive but aside from slight balance issue all is fine. I cannot believe the premium women out there put on driving! I am intelligent, affectionate, have a good  sense of humor, financially secure and live 1 block from Las Olas Blvd. What do these women want / need? UBER exists. Peter

retep
Kudos
Views
Contributor

I agree.  I am no longer a driver, either and sometimes it drives me crazy.  I have to depend on others for transportation and how can I meet a nice gentleman when I can't get out of the house?

Gloria McLaughlin
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Uber!  I don't drive either since I sold my car two years ago.  When I did own a car, I was spending $400-$500 a month on transportation.  Now I spend around $200 a month.  I don't have to worry about car payments, insurance, repairs, gas, parking, etc.  It's so easy and convenient too!

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Dear Pete,
Don't wait around...you will find nice gals who don't mind driving
Periodic Contributor

the reall answer to something like this, is a fundamental change in the way these contracts are laid out. most important improvment would to keep all finances seperate. each pays for what thye use, ..that takes away the incentive, for conartists, or even just lazy users, from having a hold on the other...the system the way it is is broken, and marrage is just a way for one to control another...perhaps marriage should be done away with, then if people are not getting along, they can just split.

Honored Social Butterfly

Just wanted to add that over the years I have had a photo of the "family jewels" sent to me. That joker should have borrowed a photo from someone. I have had old guys tell me about their pump, just like they think it is an asset. This is before I had finished my cup of coffee. I have never seen a pump and don't want to see one. That is the same as if I wore depends and told him about them. I have had them tell me the love of their life just died. I have always wondered if her funeral was over when he started looking. Nope, don't think the dating sites are for me.

Soosie
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP