Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 11 of 22

@jl74436857  Forgive me: that's right, you're in Illinois.

Yep: nothing like a bird of prey for clearing a 'room'. Smiley Happy The mergansers and buffleheads we saw were swimming on a lake whilst freezing fog lifted from the surface and drifted to the western banks, covering the trees with ice ... truly gorgeous. They all flew away when the bald eagle came over. The Canada geese bunched together, but otherwise didn't try to get out of the eagle's way.

We get the black-capped chickadees too, but the mountain variety only come to this elevation when it's super cold up at the Continental Divide. I enjoy their song. To me it sounds like they are laughing. Smiley Happy

Do you have much snow at your place? Ours wil be all gone today: we're forecast high 40s. So we might see different birds here in the next few days.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 22

The chickadees are the black-capped ones.

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22

I'm in Illinois, northwest of Chicago (seeing the purple finches, dark-eyed juncos, sparrows, chickadees and cardinals. Before winter, also saw goldfinches and doves. We had a hawk perch for a couple hours on my balcony several weeks ago, and while there, no smaller birds came around, of course.

Conversationalist

Message 14 of 22

I

Message 15 of 22

Waaaa: our birding trip was a bust. All we saw this afternoon were Canada geese. But there were hundreds. Smiley Wink

Yesterday we did see a bald eagle and about a dozen common mergansers plus a handful of buffleheads. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 22

The  barn owl is back in his box and sits in the doorway and watches me as I go down to feed the goats in the morning.  I always wave to him.  The hummingbirds are back, too.  When I was watering some plants that are under the bird feeders that hang in front of the bay window, a hummingbird hovered in front of my face for several seconds.  The huge crows are back in full force, as are the mourning doves.  Then there are sparrows by the hundreds, it seems.  It's fun to have a place that's "for the birds"!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 22

A Robin!  At our heated birdbath in SW Michigan.

Message 18 of 22

@jl74436857  Ahhhhh purple finches. Long time since I saw that lovely species. Sweet singers, too. Smiley Happy

Are you in the south or the west coast?

Right now we're seeing sparrows, mountain chickadees, flickers, juncos, raptors and jays around the farm. We usually get to see a great horned owl in the winter, but it apparently hasn't had need to hunt our hillside yet. (It usually hangs out down by the river.) Or maybe all the barn cats in the area have made the rodent population scarce, dunno.

Anyway, we're planning a trip to one of our local birding hot spots, so hopefully we'll see a bunch of waterfowl too. Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 19 of 22

I see cardinals, dark-eyed juncos, sparrows, chickadees, and purple finches at my bird feeders.

Message 20 of 22

HammH wrote:

I see the usual suspects are present. lol

So those tundra swans were spotted this weekend in Weld County. Out with the legions of Canada geese in a farm pond .

Smiley Happy  We went to Walden Ponds on Saturday because we heard there had been snow geese there: http://news.kgnu.org/2017/11/nature-almanac-big-white-birds-at-walden-ponds/

Nada. I could only check one of the log books, but saw no mention of the snow geese. The tundra swan mentions were from May.

Sunday we were out in Weld on the trikes and cycled out where the swans were rumored to be. I couldn't positively ID them (no binocs) but think what we saw were 8-10 snow geese rather than tundra swans. I'll check Gary's online album. If anyone has ID'd 'em, its him. Smiley Happy