Know Someone Over 50 Making a Difference? Nominate Them for the AARP Purpose Prize

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 1 of 22

@ip3285  Anna's are beautiful little flying jewels. We don't get them here, but did enjoy them when we lived in northern CA.

Here we see the (rather noisy!) Broad-tailed (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Broad-tailed_Hummingbird/id#), the Black-chinned (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-chinned_Hummingbird/id), and (boisterous!) Rufus Hummingbirds (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rufous_Hummingbird/id).

In Idaho we saw a great number of Caliope hummers (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Calliope_Hummingbird/id). We've seen them a couple times here in the high mountains.

The SE corner of Arizona gets all manner of hummers that we've never seen, though, so one of these days we'll load up the RV and head on over for a visit.

Always up-to-date (ahem), DH and I have been watching 20-year-old episodes of The Life of Birds. Lots of great photography featuring these amazing little birds. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 22

cougar23h wrote:

White Breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Lots of Juncos and Sparrows. 

We must be neighbors?

I’ll just add to your list blue Jays, Red-Headed and Downy wood peckers. They love the peanuts mixed in with the seeds.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 22

I’m seeing Coopers Hawks dine on doves by my bird feeder.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22

White Breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Lots of Juncos and Sparrows. 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 22
@Epster I think the breed of hummingbird was the Anna's hummingbird (Calypte Anne). We have light green with black hummingbirds and occasionally some with dark red on them.

This time the fires missed us, fortunately. The two in 2002 and 2007 were more than enough!

Message 6 of 22

@bb24106734  What a great array of birds!

Here in the Colorado Rockies (northern Front Range) we have all of those species, in season, except for the cardinals. But the list does change with the seasons. And years. Some years we have robins in the junipers all winter, not so much this year.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 22

Hi, I am seeing chickadees, house finches, goldfinches, cardinals, sparrows, nut

hatches, downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, blue jays, juncos, and when the snow comes the grackles like the suet. Very early mornings you can here an owl, but yet to see one.  Oh can't forget the doves. They are regulars!  I live in Northwest NJ where i also see in back woods, red tailed hawks.  A week ago i saw a bald eagle near the Delaware River!

Message 8 of 22

@jl74436857  I bet your backyard birds have come to rely on your gracious feeding. Keep it up (and thank you!) Smiley Happy

Try to stay warm.  

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 22

We got about 3" of snow on Xmas eve, and it's been very cold. Highs will be in the low-mid teens or even single digits all week and weekend. A little more snow expected today and tomorrow.  Amazing that these birds can cope with it. I'm sure they use the seed in my feeders to help them stay warm inside!

Message 10 of 22

ip3285 wrote:

The  barn owl is back in his box and sits in the doorway and watches me as I go down to feed the goats in the morning.  I always wave to him.  The hummingbirds are back, too.  When I was watering some plants that are under the bird feeders that hang in front of the bay window, a hummingbird hovered in front of my face for several seconds.  The huge crows are back in full force, as are the mourning doves.  Then there are sparrows by the hundreds, it seems.  It's fun to have a place that's "for the birds"!

@ip3285  Indeed, your place always sounds like paradise. Smiley Happy

I'm glad you haven't been affected by the toxic smoke from the So Cal fires.

What variety of hummingbirds do you get?