Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Wearing jeans @ the age of 80?

Message 71 of 84

ASTRAEA wrote:

I don't see why anyone would differentiate between jeans & other types of pants, based on age. I think it might make a difference as far as someone wearing those super short shorts  with cheeks hanging out, or those trendy ripped jeans with too much skin showing .. no matter the wearer's age.

Sometimes older gentlemen go with the too short shorts look  until their wives see them : )  otherwise what the heck.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 72 of 84

Became blue jean mindful in about 1966 when I bought my first pair of 28-30 Levi’s for $6. Today I pay $45 for a 38-30 pair of Levis. Like the way they fit and look so much I’m going to have them bury me in a pair. Hope they’re still making them when I’m 90.

Message 73 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

The thread about looking your age started me thinking about the wearing of the jeans!  And for how long you can get away with wearing them. 

OK, I decided to start back at the original post with this one: What exactly IS someone 80, 90 or 100 SUPPOSED TO look like?! There are some very obvious things people probably wouldn't wear, but how much different are 80-90-100 from 70?!

My grandmother was 74 when I was born, and back in the 1950s she had the typical "little old lady" grandma look .. and I know women in their mid-80s now, who look & dress like she did .. or are more stylish .. than when she was 10 years younger!

I'd say that anything that isn't too extreme is fine, if it's comfortable, easy for the person to put on & take off, and isn't a high-maintenance garment.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 84

Female probably longer than male; saw Paul McCartney in jeans with tucked in shirt; UGLY.

Wearing maybe a Hawaiian shirt outside might have been okay; men just don't look good when they look the 80's mom look...

Just saying

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

Message 75 of 84

I don't see why anyone would differentiate between jeans & other types of pants, based on age. I think it might make a difference as far as someone wearing those super short shorts  with cheeks hanging out, or those trendy ripped jeans with too much skin showing .. no matter the wearer's age.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 76 of 84

This is too funny to me, as just a few days ago, discussing in the office, WE are the reason kids can wear jeans and tee-shirts to school (and now, to work, as well).

Now, good or bad, not my call; but having to wear ties at age 7 everyday, hose everyday at 14, all of those demands we grew up with....

I will say I was disturbed first time I saw jeans at Mass; but then rethought that (heck, Jesus wore sandals...)

Bottom line, what does it matter unless you are in a profession that requires a certain amount of protection (e.g., our wonderful 1st responders FD, PD, EMT)?

Great subject; thanks for the original post!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

Message 77 of 84

MaVolta wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

I definitely agree with the other posters.. wear whatever you want to wear.  Remember the days of Father Knows Best and the shows where the wife was always dressed in the skirt and heels regardless of what she was doing and not a hair was out of place : )   Age does not determine fashion or pretty much anything else!

Ahh yes, the days of the over-dressed housewife! At least that was the TV version! Not at all how my mama dressed.

Not mine either.  June Cleaver.  Vacuuming the carpet in her high heels and pearls. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 84

nyadrn wrote:

I definitely agree with the other posters.. wear whatever you want to wear.  Remember the days of Father Knows Best and the shows where the wife was always dressed in the skirt and heels regardless of what she was doing and not a hair was out of place : )   Age does not determine fashion or pretty much anything else!

Ahh yes, the days of the over-dressed housewife! At least that was the TV version! Not at all how my mama dressed.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 84

Give up my jeans?  No way!!

In the 70's, I wore mini-skirts and boots. I wouldn't choose to wear them today! But jeans are always appropriate, especially where I live. I try to choose jeans that look nice for my size, and can be dressed up, or just look casual. We wear boots here, too. This is Texas, after all.

Message 80 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

The thread about looking your age started me thinking about the wearing of the jeans!  And for how long you can get away with wearing them. 

My neighbor and good friend is 81, quite slim and not at all fashion conscious.  She likes clothes and shopping but she is way too busy with her family to think too much about fashion.  She looks quite good in her jeans & sneakers as she rushes about, walking every bit as fast as a 30 year old.

Another  lady comes to mind who was quite beautiful.  We were waiting for our prescriptions and she was friendly so we were chatting.  She wore blue jeans & boots, had grey hair but not done in the usual oldish style.  She also wore quite a bit of eye make up.  The effect was stylish and chic.  Her husband also looked very good in his jeans!   They both appeared to be fashion conscious.  She was asked her date of birth, and I was surprised to learn she was over 80.