Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Wearing jeans @ the age of 80?

Message 51 of 84

@LaDolceVita - It would be nice to think that as we all get older, we're more laid back, and have fewer things we feel competitive or jealous about .. but that may be idealistic. It's more my experience with olders, that our life-long personalities often become more pronounced, as we age. So those who were the proverbial "mean girls" in H.S., become the crotchety & mean old ladies! (And I suppose the snarky young men don't change either!)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 84

@nyadrn, @gatorgorilla, @ASTRAEA  I do have a good friend at the senior center and we laugh about this woman just as if we were kids!  As to speaking to the snubber, well frankly that is a low priority right now.  Woman Happy 

;hoc voluērunt Gaius Julius Ceasar
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 84

ASTRAEA wrote:

@LaDolceVita - I'm very direct, so if someone's already ignoring me, there's nothing to lose by starting a conversation .. and asking if there's a "problem," if they still remain aloof. This may sound strange at our age, but I've heard that in retirement communities - even where the residents are significantly older - the married women can be suspicous or jealous, of single women .. no matter what they wear!

I wanted to give a kudos to the first part of your post, Astraea!  That might be exactly what LDV needs to do, and as you've said, there's nothing to lose by starting a conversation.

I'm afraid I would manage to not be very tactful in such a situation - in other words, I would likely bungle it. Smiley Frustrated   But I have hopes that LDV could handle the situation a little more smoothly and adeptly than could I. Smiley Happy

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 54 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Diane, everyone is usually friendly, when they glance up from their smart phones that is!  This woman sat next to me for over an hour during a bus trip & tried to even avoid looking at me.  She was quite friendly to all others.   She still looks past me whenever she sees me.  Weird, but I can attribute it nothing else than my appearance. 

LDV,  Maybe it's something other than your appearance that has "put her off", if in fact you are correct in that perception.  More than a few times, I have taken an initial dislike to someone, based on some trivial thing they've said or done - then later I've become friends with such individuals.

Perhaps you could try to engage this woman in a bit of casual conversation?  You might be pleasantly surprised, as might she. (Then again, I guess it could go the route of "...wish I hadn't paid attention to that darn gatorgorilla's suggestion...")

Mainly, I don't think you should assume it is your appearance that is causing some distance with this woman.

Astraea's advice about conversing and questioning the individual could certainly work, if you are comfortable engaging in such a conversation.

I definitely think you should purposely speak to this woman a time or two and see what happens - but only if you can manage to feel natural and comfortable while doing so.  Good luck with this individual... 

Message 55 of 84

ASTRAEA wrote:

@LaDolceVita - I'm very direct, so if someone's already ignoring me, there's nothing to lose by starting a conversation .. and asking if there's a "problem," if they still remain aloof. This may sound strange at our age, but I've heard that in retirement communities - even where the residents are significantly older - the married women can be suspicous or jealous, of single women .. no matter what they wear!

I would rather have one good true friend than a hundred of the other kind and ladies please..  the last thing that happy single women want is someone else's husband. LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 56 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Diane, everyone is usually friendly, when they glance up from their smart phones that is!  This woman sat next to me for over an hour during a bus trip & tried to even avoid looking at me.  She was quite friendly to all others.   She still looks past me whenever she sees me.  Weird, but I can attribute it nothing else than my appearance. 

That old saying comes to mind..   "wipe that puss off of your face".  In any case maybe she was jealous.. maybe you were younger smarter cuter than she was and she felt bad sitting next to you because of the comparison!! Heart

Message 57 of 84

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 84

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

;hoc voluērunt Gaius Julius Ceasar
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 84

OK @MaVolta an @retiredtraveler  

"...You are going to have to tell us more about your travels!...".

Anything you want to know, specifically? Most travel is national park, mountain hiking in U.S. and Canada. Most people do not do that kind of trip -- hiking every day 6-12 miles. Then there are urban trips such as DC, Toronto, NYC, Vancouver, etc. Then there are bike/hike trips, mostly midwest states. Then annual UK trip usually combining some towns/cities and country hiking.      

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 60 of 84

MaVolta wrote:

retiredtraveler wrote:

"... but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!....".

No tennis shoes? I read that one can spot the American tourists as so many of us (yeah me) wear them. Those are my everything-but-hiking shoes.

Yes, that's correct! Tennis shoes, or athletic shoes, are considered taboo except for exercising, of course.

@MaVolta That reminds me of Cody in Dual Survival who travels barefoot. : )