Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Wearing jeans @ the age of 80?

Message 41 of 70 (3,869 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@LaDolceVita - I'm very direct, so if someone's already ignoring me, there's nothing to lose by starting a conversation .. and asking if there's a "problem," if they still remain aloof. This may sound strange at our age, but I've heard that in retirement communities - even where the residents are significantly older - the married women can be suspicous or jealous, of single women .. no matter what they wear!

I would rather have one good true friend than a hundred of the other kind and ladies please..  the last thing that happy single women want is someone else's husband. LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Highlighted

Message 42 of 70 (3,990 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Diane, everyone is usually friendly, when they glance up from their smart phones that is!  This woman sat next to me for over an hour during a bus trip & tried to even avoid looking at me.  She was quite friendly to all others.   She still looks past me whenever she sees me.  Weird, but I can attribute it nothing else than my appearance. 

That old saying comes to mind..   "wipe that puss off of your face".  In any case maybe she was jealous.. maybe you were younger smarter cuter than she was and she felt bad sitting next to you because of the comparison!! Heart

Message 43 of 70 (3,499 Views)

@LaDolceVita - I'm very direct, so if someone's already ignoring me, there's nothing to lose by starting a conversation .. and asking if there's a "problem," if they still remain aloof. This may sound strange at our age, but I've heard that in retirement communities - even where the residents are significantly older - the married women can be suspicous or jealous, of single women .. no matter what they wear!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 70 (3,422 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Diane, everyone is usually friendly, when they glance up from their smart phones that is!  This woman sat next to me for over an hour during a bus trip & tried to even avoid looking at me.  She was quite friendly to all others.   She still looks past me whenever she sees me.  Weird, but I can attribute it nothing else than my appearance. 

vita umbratilis
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 70 (3,054 Views)

OK @MaVolta an @retiredtraveler  

"...You are going to have to tell us more about your travels!...".

Anything you want to know, specifically? Most travel is national park, mountain hiking in U.S. and Canada. Most people do not do that kind of trip -- hiking every day 6-12 miles. Then there are urban trips such as DC, Toronto, NYC, Vancouver, etc. Then there are bike/hike trips, mostly midwest states. Then annual UK trip usually combining some towns/cities and country hiking.      

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 46 of 70 (2,598 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

retiredtraveler wrote:

"... but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!....".

No tennis shoes? I read that one can spot the American tourists as so many of us (yeah me) wear them. Those are my everything-but-hiking shoes.

Yes, that's correct! Tennis shoes, or athletic shoes, are considered taboo except for exercising, of course.

@MaVolta That reminds me of Cody in Dual Survival who travels barefoot. : )

Message 47 of 70 (2,185 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

I used to travel a lot when I worked, and the modern synthetics are great for that. We don't travel as much now, but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!

OK @MaVolta an @retiredtraveler  

You are going to have to tell us more about your travels!  

Message 48 of 70 (1,685 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 70 (1,655 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"... but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!....".

No tennis shoes? I read that one can spot the American tourists as so many of us (yeah me) wear them. Those are my everything-but-hiking shoes.

Yes, that's correct! Tennis shoes, or athletic shoes, are considered taboo except for exercising, of course.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 50 of 70 (935 Views)

I wish I could travel that light. I do hiking, so I take hiking gear (boots, pack, emergency gear, first aid, extra layers, poles, canteen).  But yes, the rest is synthetic.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.