Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Playing an Instrument

Message 31 of 38 (820 Views)

In 1986 I was granted a Fullbright Teacher Exchange and my family moved to Nottingham, England for a year. We did a lot of traveling, and at Whitson we spent a week in Ireland. We found ourselves in a pub in the west of County Clare one evening where there was a "session" of musicians playing traditional Irish dance tunes. I was especially taken by the flute player. I bought a penny whistle the next day, with an accompanying tape and tune book, and for the next year, drove my family crazy teaching myself. As a kid, I was subjected to the obligatory five years of piano lessons, so I could read music and had a basic knowledge of music theory. After gaining a degree of proficiency and a repertoire of tunes on the whistle, I bought a flute. Irish Tradition flute players are partial to the simple system wooden flute used by orchestral flautists prior to the development of the Boehm flute in the late 1800's. These wooden instruments have a warm, reedy sound so well-suited to the driving, rythmic style of this genre of music. So began a delightful journey through the tradition, which has included several return trips to Ireland, music camps and festivals, and especially a weekly session in a pub in my town, which has been roaring along for 17 years.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 38 (748 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Except for the topic about Rock & Roll, which already existed a few website upgrades ago, AARP decided the existing categories/subcategories would be the only ones we could have .. and wouldn't create a "miscellaneous" area in each category .. or I would have created one for "Music" that wasn't rock & roll!

I'd say that I'm surprised no one's posted about musical interests, but that's not surprising when there's no appropriate category/subcategory to make people think about it!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 38 (704 Views)

Now this is an interesting topic, @ASTRAEA.  There are many avenues to take this conversation and not all of them involve playing an instrument!  I'll share my story...

I do not play an instrument.  I would have loved to play piano or violin in my younger days but, in my household, bursting at the seams with six children, music lessons took a back seat to other more pressing concerns...like shoes for growing boys!  I had five younger brothers...no sisters to help my cause!  We had a small organ at home but it was used for infrequent amusement...no one expressed an interest in lessons.

My parents both had very fine voices and their attention was more directed to appreciation of vocal performances per se...not necessarily the accompaniment!  A capella performances were a favorite of both and my father never missed an opportunity to perform...he was especially fond of singing with a local "Barber Shop Quartet."  He had a beautiful clear tenor voice.  I used to love to hear him sing "The Lord's Prayer."  My mother, who had a lovely soprano voice, tended to enjoy religious music performances but her tastes included popular and traditional music as well. 

Growing up in the late 60's and 70's, my brothers all learned to play guitar...the popular instrument of the times...they played acoustic and electric instruments.  A couple of them played cornet trumpet in jr. high & high school but did not continue on.

I have a strong interest in musical performance and especially appreciate violin and cello...I have seen many famous performers.  My D-I-L is a talented pianist, violinist, and cellist, BTW.  Her parents recognized her interest and talent early on and encouraged it...it's an integral part of her life now and it's delightful to hear her play.  She has a lovely singing voice as well!  As much as we encouraged our own children, all of them learned an instrument or two but none of them had the interest to continue it into adulthood!  You can lead a horse to water...<sigh>  

It makes me laugh to think that we could have had concerts at home with 2 trumpets,  a flute, a clarinet, a guitar and drums...just add the voices and cue the music!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 34 of 38 (688 Views)

@r95525r - I envy your ability to sight read well; even if I took lessons again now, I think I'm just too lazy to bother with sheet music.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd learned to play a more portable instrument, and a welcome one at parties .. like a guitar. Smiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 38 (630 Views)

My dear father (a Baptist minister) started me out on piano lessons when I was in second grade, and I continued through high school. I also started out on the French horn while in the fourth grade and continued in band through high school.

I'm grateful for those experiences now because I'm able to easily read music while singing in my church choir. Finally, I've come to appreciate the fine classical music that my father also loved so much.

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 38 (536 Views)

My dear father (a Baptist minister) started me out on piano lessons when I was in second grade, and I continued through high school. 

I also started out on the French horn while in the fourth grade and continued in band through high school.

I'm grateful for those experiences now because I'm able to easily read music while singing in my church choir.

Finally, I've come to appreciate the fine classical music that my father also loved so much.

Message 37 of 38 (530 Views)

I guess I'll break the ice! We had an old former player piano in the house, and I began picking out the melody of songs, as soon as I could reach the keyboard! Mom loved music, and said my father played a "licorice stick" (clarinet). When I was a little older, I went for lessons for about 4 years, and hated it. Back then, they put together pieces specifically for students to learn; today even simplified student learning material uses familiar popular songs, that motivate a child to want to learn. When I began playing popular music, because I have a good ear, I'd play from memory & get lost in the sheet music. Smiley Sad

I play for my own entertainment, and have to be very good friends with someone, not to feel too self conscious to play when they're here.

This is one of my favorite pieces, the tango "Adios Muchachos". I like that the pianist says he played it as a salon piece, rather than something to dance to. I, on the other hand, play it with the great abandon I think tango needs! Smiley Happy

Playing an Instrument

Message 38 of 38 (548 Views)

Did you learn to play an instrument when you were young; was your family musically inclined? did you want to learn the instrument? or do you do it as a school requirement/club? Or perhaps your decided to do it as an adult, for your own entertainment?

What instrument is it? What kind of music do you enjoy planing? Do you play for company, or are you like the people who "sing in the shower" .. it's just for YOUR? Smiley Happy