Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Playing an Instrument

Message 21 of 38 (960 Views)

I am 87, & I play regularly with 2 different bands, as well as various jam sessions, etc--- I tutor beginning string players also-- I never get bored!  Ron T. 

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 38 (874 Views)

My mother played piano and sang with my two sisters in Church.  She tried to get me interested to no avail.  I waited until 6 years ago at 69 years, and decided I wanted to play Scruggs style banjo.  Took lesson every Monday for 17 months.  I can play about 35 breaks and have just been playing backup for little over a year with a group.  I love it, wished I had started much earlier.  I play and practice usually every day.  Never too old to learn.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 38 (902 Views)

I was one of five kids.  My dad played the violin (not very well).  All five kids were given the chance to take piano lessons.  The oldest, Joe, thought it was sissy (wouldn't you know he's the one who became a Marine.)  I and my three sisters took to it.  In our little country  church, I was the pianist for about 3 of my teenage years.  When I went on to college, the next sister took over, and then the next, and then the next.  We all still play.  I'm 80 now, and music is a vital part of my life, with choir, singing groups, and piano practice every day.  Music keeps you young!!!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 24 of 38 (883 Views)

The only instrument I play is the stereo.  I learned it at a very young age and I'm quite good at it.  Cat LOL Actually, my brother is the musician in the family and I sing, so my voice is my instrument.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 38 (969 Views)
Could anyone please name the AARP piano tune in their latest commercial on medicare supplements. My 1 year old granddaughter is mesmerized every time it comes on the TV.
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 38 (1,020 Views)
Hi Astraea: This regarding the ease of transport (concealment?) of the flute: "Flute for sale. Easily concealed":

"Why, although this seems at first sight so strange, does it also seem so appropriate? It is because the flute is terrible, mysterious and primitive… the marvellous thin pipings of the flute are a link with older things - with a fearful ecstasy of melody in the first dawn… Of all musicians, flautists are most obviously the ones who know something we don’t know… The goat eyed, the devious flute player moves softly among us, none can see the flute he carries. He walks past unsuspecting doormen, into public assemblies, into restaurants and parties - into churches, even. He nods and smiles, he talks to other people, to us. He does not reveal that he is a flute-player. For there have been rumours - a pubful of people in Croydon discovered in a trance, from which they have never emerged, a bus that simply disappeared across fields, a whispered story of platelayers found sobbing in a tunnel, of thin high music disappearing into a cave, of men discovered with a look in their eyes like that of Mole in The Wind in the Willows, after he saw Pan…"

—Paul Jennings, "Flautists Flaunt Afflatus"
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 38 (1,017 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - I would love to go to a "working museum" that displays & has docents play (or lets visitors play) rare & obsolete instruments like that!

Glass Harp:

Glass Harp 2.png

Glass Harmonica:

Glass Harmonica 2.jpg

Celeste:

Celeste.jpg

Theramin:

Theramin 3.jpg

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 38 (983 Views)

I thought I'd mention this since it is timely...yesterday afternoon, I went to see an art glass exhibit at a local museum.  That was interesting and entertaining in and of itself, but the museum's curators had arranged a lecture with a retired college professor who had been playing what he called a "glass harp" for years.  He started making music with glasses at age six when he sat avidly watching his father make sounds with the glasses on the dinner table one afternoon.

He had an interesting career as a musician and college professor and has had a wealth of performance experiences all over the world.

The true highlight was a concert with his "glass harp" and other "found objects" he has used in his incredible performances.  (He actually does play reed instruments...his interest in sounds and the glass harp was his "claim to fame.")

The lecture was informative and he revealed many scientific principles involved in creating the beautiful music with various sizes and shapes of water and wine glasses.  Some bits of information were quite surprising and counter-intuitive...such as how the thickness of the glass affects the pitch...quite the opposite of what one would think!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 38 (973 Views)

@j473416b  What a great story!  So many elements and each of them fascinating...I'm sure you have a wealth of tales to tell based on those experiences!

Welcome to the AARP forums!  I hope to see you around on other discussion groups and I look forward to hearing more great stories of your Irish exploits...no Blarney now! 

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 38 (969 Views)

@j473416b - And both the penny whistle & flute are delightfully easy to carry around!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!