How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Playing an Instrument

Message 11 of 38 (630 Views)

I"m a professionals musician who had a hard time following my heart. I'd had piano lessons as a kid, like so many of us, but I had no idea how much I loved until I was 18 years old. Long story short: I tried to teach myself & also went with a 'Jazz' teacher but I really didn't get serious until I begain music school @ age 25 & worked my way through. Although I'd  been gigging for years 'legitimate' was the best way for me to make the most of whatever talent I have.  My whole world exploded as I heard so much of the best while my piano teacher helped me find the best way for me to play.  Been gigging ever since.  Solo Piano, combo, big band and arranger/composer. I never have hit the big time, but I sure have had & still have a lot of fun. Not that many gigs anymore but when I find a piano in public be it @ a an airport, a hospital or in somebody's house I love to hold forth. I'll be 80 soon yet the young people still have a lot to teach me.  I'm still a work in progress. Who knows, I may hire on with another band somewhere soon.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 38 (663 Views)

I started to learn about 30 years ago. Finally found a teacher for banjo after about a 4 month search in the Bay Area. ( San Francisco ). Have to really get fingers retrained. She said it was great to see a person 68 years old starting to play. Starting to have fun now. But have a long way to go.

Info Seeker

Re: Playing an InstrumentI

Message 13 of 38 (629 Views)

I started playing guitar in the mid 50's, and we had a rock and roll band in the late 50's until I went into the Air Force in 1964.  Then I played in a church band for over 15 years.  I never learned to read music, and I started playing the piano some time in the mid 60's.

In 2005, I worked in an Adult day care where I played guitar and piano for seven years.  Now I just play along with songs on the radio, CD's, and TV.  Life is so much better when you can sit down and play music.  It is refreshing, and keeps me going.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 38 (670 Views)

I grew up in Boston hanging over the front corner of the second balcony in Boston's Symphony Hall watching Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops with the world's finest percussion section. I started playing percussion and timpani at Bowdoin College, then in the chorus and orchestra of the Arlington Philharmonic. After moving to Atlanta in 1979 I became timpanist and in 1983 an Assistant Conductor of the Callanwolde Concert Band. Now 79 and somewhat handicapped I still play and conduct. Wanting to eat regularly I didn't make music a profession but became a CPA/Corporate Tax Director for my profession.

Bob Meehan

Bob Meehan conducting the Callanwolde Concert BandBob Meehan conducting the Callanwolde Concert Band

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 38 (662 Views)

I worked in the hay fields to buy my first trombone to use in the 7th band.  That was the start to

a fantastic career in music.  I retired after 39 years as a band director.  My students performed great music.  I have former students that chose the same profession.  They teach beginners through to one being the head director of a major university. 

Yes, music is my life and I still sing and play my trombone in church.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 38 (720 Views)

I began playing music in the 4th grade at my elementary school. I played Clarinet all through school in concert, marching band, summer band, private lessons in the summer. I was in love with the big band experience!

I also played the piano & sang in choir! Music is in my soul!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 38 (736 Views)

I write and record christian music in a garage band format. Just Google garospel if you care to listen. That should take you to Chets music on soundcloud.com. Thanks and God bless you all.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 38 (766 Views)

I started playing piano by ear when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was singing when I was 3 ( voice, also an instrument)when I was 16 I started playing accordian and guitar. When I was 18 I started doing a local Kalamazoo TV show "Rem Wall's Green Vally Jamboree",  for 3 years I was apprear on both radio, tv and concert at Buck Lake Ranch with Rem and the boys.

Moving to California it took less then a year to start making connections in music and in another 3 years I was signed with Gene Autry's Republic records and that started a nine year dream come true adventure. The entertainment industry is in many ways a hard road to follow, with things that are true, things that are made up for press release, too many games for me and I changed direction in the mid 80's because of illiness.  I started woking in retirement communities and churches, bring peace to my heart. I have been in the business 55 years this June.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 38 (762 Views)

In another life I was a music teacher for 20 years. Changed careers in my 40's to IT. At 73 after 25+ years of not playing I returned to Tuba and play in a very fine comunity band and enjoy daily practice sessions. Many in the band are AARP age who enjoy music as diversion from their "regular" vocations. Since we are in a university town many of our members have advanced degrees. We are blessed to share this passion for the WIND BAND.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 38 (704 Views)

I grew up surrounded by music in a family of seven kids. We had a piano, an old upright, which my sisters played. One became a music major in college. My eldest brother was a clarinet player and joined the Navy as a musician, another brother sang and played tuba in h.s.Another sister played piano and attempted the violin because the music major wanted her to try at least. Not so much... I took piano lessons and learned to play the trumpet/cornet in school. Played in college, minoring in Music ed, Elementary ed major. Upon graduating, after a year working with young ones, enlisted in Marine Corps as a musician. After enlistment, continued playing the trumpet in community bands and at church. I'm still playing!!