Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Playing an Instrument

Message 1 of 38 (984 Views)

I play gigs here in the Shenandoah Valley.  Sadly, my singing partner died last year.  So this year, I'm going solo.  I mostly cover 50s, 60s, and 70s, but also do some more recent songs and some original songs.  Music is an amazing outlet.  I especially enjoy one outdoor gig I do each year at a vineyard, and the indoor gigs I do at a local art gallery where the acoustics are remarkable.  Mostly, though, it's the comfort I find in those two places that I love so much.  It's harder to go solo.  Good for you on still going at 80.  Amazing!

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 38 (1,177 Views)

Hi Darlene, I sent you a mail on your private account bu I haven't heard back from you. Maybe it went to your junk file. Get back to me and let me know. Thanks CAROL CASS

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 38 (1,254 Views)

Hi Darlene, YES, would love to communcate with you. Send me your mail contact. Thanks, CAROL CASS

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 38 (1,257 Views)

Several years ago I formed a company called "Yesterdays Children" I was putting people who were over 55 to work in 20 states. If you are interested I'll give you my professional email address. I found there is still a market for entertainers that are senior.

Let me know.

Darlene Bunyea 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 38 (1,265 Views)

I am a 71 year old professional singer/ entertainer (mostly Jazz.) Started at the age of 13!! After High School I joined a band and continued my career and was able to make a living all this time. I am still singing. I recently returned to the States after living and working in Europe for 20 years. I am so disapointed that my music has almost become obsolete in the States..........and soon the same will happen in Europe! Young people need to know how important this is. This is all I know to do. I would love it if us Senior's in the profession could form some sort of network that would enable us to get some work and recognition for our contribution to the world of entertainment. Now living on my meger Social Security checks and SSI has put me in a not so good place. I WANT TO KEEP GIGGING UNTIL MY LAST BREATH!! What about a Senior TV Network? SOMETHING? Any feedback would be welcomed. I'm a little lost right now. Go to you tube. I have about 24 videos there. My name is CAROL CASS!!! Thanks for listening.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 38 (1,284 Views)

Playing ANY type of instrument is satisfying and has to be good for our physical, emotional and mental well-being! It's good for the heart and lungs and our hands and fingers to keep us in shape! All I all, a great hobby!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 38 (1,288 Views)

Consort and ensemble are similar depending upon the mixture of instruments, but who cares what we call it as long as we're playing music!  The way I get people to form a group is by posting signs at the senior center or putting ads in the local newspaper.  I specify that this is for "older" adults only who can read music and enjoy renaissance and baroque music.  I hope you find a duet buddy or even a trio - music is relaxing, fun, and good socially, as well as a low-key way to keep our brains thinking and our fingers moving. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 38 (1,299 Views)

A recorder ensemble is known as a consort, I think. I enjoy playing both soprano and alto recorders, but am out of practice with the alto one. Would like to find a group to play with in my area, but am not aware of any locally. They are easy to play, having had piano lessons as a kid, and learning the trumpet and French horn in school. Mom played the piano and we would skip to the music thru the house. Dad liked to whistle when he was working on a project. He was an appreciator of our music and they always attended our band concerts and recitals. He and Mom liked church music and listening to the choir sing, as well. Music in various forms has always been a calming and therapeutic gift. If I had known much earlier about Music Therapy, that would be  something to consider as an occupation!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 38 (1,316 Views)

My mother studied piano at the New England Conservatory of music when she was a teenager, and my father couldn't read a note but could play any song he heard.  Naturally, I was expected to play  piano and was given lessons at age 6.  When I was in my 30's I took at job at a music store and when someone asked for a recorder, I sent them to the stereo department.  My boss, the store owner, gave me a soprano recorder so I'd know the difference between a stereo recorder and a musical instrument.  Having played piano for most of my life, learning to play recorder was easy.  Eventually I became part of a 5 piece recorder ensemble, adding tenor recorder also.  We performed locally at many different events.  Later I formed my own ensemble, the Merrie Windes Recorder Ensemble, which performed all over the area.  The violinist in the group and I formed a separate duo, and we performed from San Diego all the way up to Victoria, BC, and the group as a whole performed at all the Renaissance Faires from San Diego to San Francisco.  It was great.  I moved to another area and formed a group of older adults up here, and until illness struck several people at once, we played for enjoyment every week.  When my sons were old enough to read, I taught them both to play piano, and the older one now has my mother's parlor grand piano, the piano on which I learned to play over 70 years ago. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 38 (1,383 Views)

I totally missed this topic that opened over a month ago. Everyone in our family had to take piano lessons. Two of my siblings had no interest, took lessons for a few years, and gave up. Another sibling became a violin teacher, and still teaches. I took piano lessons until age of 18. Started general percussion at age 12. Spend my nerdy high school and college time playing in marching band, symphony orchestra (including some local symphony), regular band, jazz band, percussion ensembles, and had a band in high school and college playing blues.

Totally gave it up after college. Donated my drum set to local grade school. Never had talent --- just played reasonably well to be involved. Lot of good memories, and of course, all of us who played have an appreciation of music and understanding.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.