Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Migrating Waterfowl Survey of Local Farm Ponds

Message 31 of 44 (495 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

It sounds as if you live in a good area for bird watching. They are fascinating. Once, while down in Mexico, I waded out and was fishing in among the Pelicans the way the locals were. When I was talking to one of the kids there, he said, "hey, the Pelicans know where the fish like to be, so that's where I fish".  He was loading the saddlebags on his bicycle to take to a local restaurant to sell the fish. 

While living in New Mexico, it was the goofy looking Quail with the bobbers on their heads, the Road Runners, and the many varieties of Hummingbirds that we had that kept me fascinated. I was in the mountains, and saw many birds that I'd never even heard of before. 

What part of the country are you in Epster?  

Love the pelican story! Smiley Happy

We haven't been to New Mexico but a few times. We did get to see a roadrunner, though. One of our plans once we fully retire and sell this place is to travel all over --staying here a month, there a summer, et cetera-- so we can bike and bird. Can hardly wait! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 32 of 44 (493 Views)

@JoyaDe It still thrills me to see shore birds here in Colorado! I lived on the coast for a couple decades, and did not expect to see any of the usual ocean suspects here in the Rocky Mountain foothills. But we have herons, egrets, cormorants, sandpipers, plovers, pelicans, gulls (and whatever else it is I am not thinking about this morning Smiley Happy). But we so enjoy getting to see some of the 'coastal' birds here. Pelicans come here for the summer, as do the others, to breed. Some of the great blues and gulls stay all year (amazingly).

We live in the the foothills, but since Colorado has 5 life zones, we really are gifted with opportunity for all sorts of wildlife viewing.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 44 (501 Views)

It sounds as if you live in a good area for bird watching. They are fascinating. Once, while down in Mexico, I waded out and was fishing in among the Pelicans the way the locals were. When I was talking to one of the kids there, he said, "hey, the Pelicans know where the fish like to be, so that's where I fish".  He was loading the saddlebags on his bicycle to take to a local restaurant to sell the fish. 

While living in New Mexico, it was the goofy looking Quail with the bobbers on their heads, the Road Runners, and the many varieties of Hummingbirds that we had that kept me fascinated. I was in the mountains, and saw many birds that I'd never even heard of before. 

What part of the country are you in Epster?  

Message 34 of 44 (501 Views)

Only once, in all the years I lived on the lake, did I see a pair of pelicans. Now this was MN. I'm sure they were on their way further north, but I was totally shocked to see them. I'd only ever seen them in Florida and Mexico. I'd forgotten that there were Pelicans that were in the northern lakes......

Message 35 of 44 (486 Views)

@JoyaDe Thanks for sharing the photos! Luvs me some duckies. Smiley Happy  Poor hawk. I'm glad you were able to help our feathered friends in each of these instances.

We've had sparrows fall down the chimney before (sooty mess that was!); also hummingbirds have flown into the screen panels on the screened-in porch and a few doves have hit the picture window, but the hawks generally fly hundreds of feet overhead, probably due to the rocky ridge that is the backyard.

We're maybe a half mile from the river, so I'm not sure we could draw wood ducks. We do have accommodations for bats, sparrows, wrens and bluebirds. I mean manmade ones. Flickers, towhees, robins, orioles, finches and more sparrows nest in the shrubs and trees. Lots of others, of course hunt here, but these are the ones we know actually bed down and raise their young on the property.

Still, I looked up plans to build a wood duck nesting box (https://www.trails.com/how_6605_build-wood-duck-nesting-box.html) and will investigate the possibilities. (yay) That recreation trail where we saw the wood ducks is two towns away. That trail's trees are also hosting two pairs of nesting bald eagles and a pair of ferruginous hawks. And the farm ponds it winds around host all sorts of waterfowl; our faves this time of year are the pelicans. Needless to say we think nothing of driving out to that trail to get in our trike rides. LOL.

Message 36 of 44 (479 Views)

Error alert!  I meant verticle, not horizontal......I think it's past my bedtime. 

Message 37 of 44 (475 Views)

Oh how neat.  Have you thought about putting up some nesting boxes near where you live for them? I probably could around my yard, but I'm not very close to any water.  Wood ducksWood ducksWood ducksWood ducksSharp shinned HawkSharp shinned HawkI found a couple photo's and got them scanned in. Two of the woodducks, and the hawk was one who flew into a window at our house and knocked himself out.. After keeping him in a safe area, until he came to I was able to watch as he took a few steps, turned his wings almost horizontal and flew through the slats of the deck. He flew out into the woods and on his way.

Message 38 of 44 (480 Views)

@JoyaDe  I forgot to tell you that last weekend we spied a pair of wood ducks investigating a huge cottonwood along the river by which we ride our recumbent trikes.  Fingers crossed that they'll decide to nest in the tree and that we are treated to good views of their comings and goings.

Message 39 of 44 (567 Views)

@JoyaDe The. Best. Story. Ever! Love it!

Such a fantastic experience for you! Oh my gosh, thank you for sharing! I'd love to see pics of the wee ones. Wood ducks are faves.

Message 40 of 44 (573 Views)

This was in the mid '80's so my memory isn't the best, but I'm thinking my friend brought them to me in May or very early June. The pair of them were out on the blacktop where she worked, seemed to be abandoned and she decided that if anyone would do it, it would be me. For the first couple weeks they were in the kitchen sink, with a light bulb on for warmth, up above then. Their next home was my bathtub. Thankfully I had a shower in another bathroom. 

I do have some photo's around here someplace and will look around through my stuff. They are not on my computer, so I'd need to scan them in. I have photo's of them when they were in the bathtub, and then later when I moved them outside to the dog pen in the back yard. It was probably in Aug. when they started flying. There wasn't any fencing over the dog pen area, so they could practice and were free to come and go until good to wing it. When they were quite little I could put both of them into the wire live well, (for fish) and let then swim in the lake, eat fresh algae, and then they'd come back to the house. Having an electronic bug zapper provided them with a lot of their meals. There was a collection tray to catch the zapped bugs and those two would go after them like a dog after a steak....