How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Migrating Waterfowl Survey of Local Farm Ponds

Message 1 of 44 (259 Views)

@Epster  Oh yuk!  18" of snow, now, no way!   Should never be. Blizzard? This time of year? I'm thinking Dairy Queen.... not a need to cover my plants...or protect my flocks. Your poor hens.... 

It's cooling off up here too. Temps going down into the 40's. Right now, all my big planters are too heavy for me to lift and get into the house or garage. I dumped the standing water out of the bases yesterday and this morning. I think we had 4 inches of rain here yesterday. It poured.  I wouldn't be surprised if my rabbits tunnel isn't flooded. I haven't seen him yet this morning, so I hope he's okay. I tried to put a dam up to channel the water away, but he just kept digging it out. He is one stubborn bunny...

By the time the rain lets up enough to mow and my grandson has a day off, it may just take a thrashing machine to get through the yard.  The guy who was going to check on my roof has been busy at another job, so the spot on the hallway ceiling is growing. I can't really complain, since there is a town to the east of here, into Wisc. that is pretty much missing the mobile home court now from the tornado that went through there on Tues. A man was killed in it too. So sad to see. 

The missed photo op with both the Cardinal and Oriole may never happen again. Meanwhile I've seen the Cardinal many times, never am I fast enough to get my camera out, set the zoom and get it up to the window in time. I've taken plenty of the Oriole. Mostly he is trying to drink out of the hummingbird feeders, instead of the one I have for him. The stuff that came with the Oriole feeder looks like Tang. I mix it according to directions, but maybe he'd just prefer sugar water. I need to cut some of my yarn scrapes up for him, and maybe some twine pieces. I've had a pileated woodpecker as a visitor to my yard the past couple of years and I am never fast enough or clever enough to get a photo of him either. I did take a really nice shot of an owl in the tree above my deck. He may have been eyeing my rabbit with thoughts of dinner. 

I went to get some plants and herbs yesterday and the store had sold out moments after opening. I've been advised that if I want any, I need to get there this morning by nine.

My computer took up a good deal of my time yesterday. It seemed to have a bug. A couple hours of reserch and downloading cost me most of the morning. The afternoon was all meetings. By evening, I was tired. 

Another trip into the basement still has not yielded any of my fishing gear. Next will have to be a climb up the ladder to check platforms out in the garage ceiling. 

I hope you didn't pack away your winter coats and hats. You're going to need them again. ....stay warm...

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 44 (269 Views)

@JoyaDe Oh man that Cardinal Oriole picture you hope to get sounds marvelous. Here's hoping they cooperate.

Bummer you didn't get to go fishing. Bummer too, that the weather for both of us is making us question our gardening timing. Hope yours fairs well during this next storm.

I spent good portion of the last two days covering transplants, moving sprouted things from the greenhouse into the house and preparing for what one hopes will be the very last snow storm of spring. We are, they say, probably going to get 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow, but could get 18 inches. My poor fruit trees! And the Cornish roasters, who just last week were big enough to go out into the yard-- are stuck inside the coop wondering if I've slipped a cog, becauuuuuse Moooooooom, we want to go out! They are so confused. Thunder apparently means nothing to them. Smiley Happy

I actually hauled firewood this afternoon! This is unheard of. We expect 28F Friday night. 

Meanwhile, the nesting boxes have reached sparrow, swallow and wren occupancy, and the orioles have decided to return to the nesting tree on our property (they usually nest at the neighbors) and the robins are maybe getting ready to hatch. No bat sightings yet. We only put the boxes up at the first of the year, so there's hope. Oh! But the towhees have fledged! We watched daddy towhee feed the baby last night. Seems super early!

PS Agree on the mourning doves. Besides sounding sad, they get inside the secure chicken yards, but don't seem to be able to find their way out. The hens call for me, and I chase the doves out the open man-door. This happens quite a bit in the summer. DH calls them duh-ves. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 3 of 44 (276 Views)

@Epster  When I was a kid in Mpls., we had many mourning doves in the neighborhood. They always sounded so sad to me. 

Alas, I was unable to go fishing over the weekend as I wasn't able to find my rods and reels, nor my tackle box. I was certain they had been out in the garage, so where they might be, I'm not at all aware.  

I ended up planting things, and moving plants from inside out to the deck. Now I'm wondering if it might have been a bit premature. It's been very wet and raining the past couple of days. The weather people are promising more to come. Then I spent a good deal of time watching my feeders and the birds that have been coming around. 

On one occasion there were a bright red Cardinal and an Oriole on the double pole feeder hanger at the same time. Of course I wasn't able to find my iphone, and when I found my instamatic camera it was totally dead. The camera is now charged up but I haven't seen them together again. I've managed to get a couple photo's of the Oriole, but the Cardinal flies off too quickly for me to get a photo. He must see me move in the window.  Meanwhile the hummers are busy little guys sampling the juice from all four of the feeders. The Oriole keeps trying those rather than using the one that is especially for he. 

Message 4 of 44 (292 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

@Epster  I forgot to mention about the robins I had here last year. They put a nest on top of the motion sensor lights on the front of the garage. So, I didn't turn them on at all during the incubation period or at all while they were laying either. I'm quite sure there were four eggs, since as I watched on two occasions, a big crow landed up there, swallowed one egg, it looked like whole, and took the other one in it's beak and flew away. I wanted to cry...  it seemed so sad, all the work they went through, the care they were taking...the cycle of life, can be cruel. 

One of my favorite things to make with tilapia is fish taco's. I make a mixture of chile's in adobo sauce mixed with sour cream to put on the tortilla, and some cabbage, a little onion and cheese, and the fish.  Oh yum.... 

@JoyaDe Ugh! Rotten crow! Yes, nature can be quite cruel. Sometimes difficult to witness, this indescriminate cruelty of Ma Nature's.

We had a similar experience with a mourning dove pair that nested in a plant hanging outside the dining room window. Never our favorite birds becasue they seem pretty dim, but still they gifted us with a fine view of their courtship, nesting and sitting sequence. The eggs hatched and we felt like we'd been given the best seats in the audience ... and then one day a blue jay ended the show. We ran out yelling at and chasing the jay, hoping to recover the 3 hatchlings ... but ... no. In the end I moved the plant as we decided we didn't want to witness a repeat.

Indeed: tilapia makes a fine, fine taco! We also enjoy them grilled along with peaches; baked stuffed with rice and Thai peppers; baked and smothered in curried veggies. All good yum. Smiley Happy

I hope you got to go fishing this weekend. There were a ton of fishermen and women plying their skills in these parts this weekend!  But not us. We did see a bunch of American advocets mixing with geese ducks and cormorants. And we spotted a small flock of lesser sandpipers at a lake located at 8,000 feet above sea level. That was a surprise and a treat. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 5 of 44 (314 Views)

@Epster  I forgot to mention about the robins I had here last year. They put a nest on top of the motion sensor lights on the front of the garage. So, I didn't turn them on at all during the incubation period or at all while they were laying either. I'm quite sure there were four eggs, since as I watched on two occasions, a big crow landed up there, swallowed one egg, it looked like whole, and took the other one in it's beak and flew away. I wanted to cry...  it seemed so sad, all the work they went through, the care they were taking...the cycle of life, can be cruel. 

One of my favorite things to make with tilapia is fish taco's. I make a mixture of chile's in adobo sauce mixed with sour cream to put on the tortilla, and some cabbage, a little onion and cheese, and the fish.  Oh yum.... 

Message 6 of 44 (317 Views)

@Epster   I had my feeders hung on an olive tree, and next to it was a large shrub with red berries on it.  Under the feeder was a large terra cotta bowl from a bird bath that I used on a bench for additional seed, suet, fruit, etc.  What ever I decided to throw in there. The towhees would be in the dish, or under the bench, doing their little dance, hunting for either things that fell, or whatever was hiding in the leaves and debris under the bench and feeder. I don't know the name of the shrub. Wish I did. It stayed green year round, never went totally bare even in winter.  The quail liked digging around in the bowl and under the bench too.  1314.JPG1307.JPG

The photo's aren't the best, but this is kind of what it looked like a lot of the time. At the time these photo's were taken part of the olive tree is gone and had been cut down.   

Message 7 of 44 (323 Views)

@JoyaDe  What did you do to attract towhees to your feeder? Here they are strictly ground feeders (often cleaning up what the messier feeder eaters spill)  DH adores towhees --last week he recorded one singing ... reports that the bird sang every 9 seconds ... replays that video for himself regularly Smiley Happy --so I imagine he'd hang a feeder straight away if he knew how to get towhees to feed there. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 44 (325 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

@EpsterPhainopeplaPhainopeplaI got out my birdbook and found him...  I did have loads of towhee's as visitors to my feeder, but this guy was a real surprise.

@JoyaDe How completely beautiful! The phainopepla (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Phainopepla/id) is a totally new bird for me, so I'm excited to read about it and hope to one day spot one. They breed twice a year in different habitats?!? Interesting!   Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 44 (330 Views)

@EpsterPhainopeplaPhainopeplaI got out my birdbook and found him...  I did have loads of towhee's as visitors to my feeder, but this guy was a real surprise.

Message 10 of 44 (337 Views)

@JoyaDe  I'm thinking maybe this was the New Mexico bird? I thought of the towhee from your description, but just now pulled out the Sibley guide to check territory. They live in NM year round, says he. 

towhee.jpg