How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Leucistic Hummingbird photographed in MN

Message 1 of 7 (249 Views)

@Centristsin2010 Most welcome! Isn't that an interesting permutation, though?  

I'm really hoping you peeps in the area get to see one. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 7 (256 Views)

Wow...I had no idea.  Beautiful!  I'll keep my eye out for them here in rural Minnesota with more than our fair share of hummingbirds. Thank you for sharing the picture and links.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 3 of 7 (261 Views)

@JoyaDe  Super welcome!  I'd no idea until I scanned the list, but New Mexico seems to be a hot spot for hummers. Texas is holding its own in that list, and Arizona is no slouch. I can see that we'll be getting familiar with these three states once retired. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 7 (267 Views)

@Epster  Thanks for that site listing the number of Hummers.  I knew we had many in NM, but I didn't want to over-state the number by exageration. They would often come in at different phases of the summer, so they didn't seem to all be there at the same time. There were some times of the year that I'd have to fill the feeders 3 times a day. 

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 7 (281 Views)

@JoyaDe Oh I do hope you get to see one. I understand it is a pretty rare feather disorder, causing a lack of pigment in what would otherwise be dark colored feathers. Maybe there's a family of white hummers buzzing around your area. Wouldn't that be something to see? Smiley Happy

We had hummers early, before the penstemon opened, but now the hummingbird garden is in full bloom I've not seen one of these flying jewels. Of course, I've been focused on other things, too, so maybe I'm just missing them. (Memo to self: eat dinner on screened-in porch: watch for hummers.)

For fun, here's a web page that lists hummingbird species by state: http://www.hummingbirds.net/states.html A quick scan suggests that New Mexico may have the most species. 

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 7 (288 Views)

@Epster  Oh Wow, I've never seen one like this before.  We probably have 6 varieties of Hummers who came through my area of the mountains in NM, but never saw one like this. I have 4 feeders going here, so maybe I'll attract one. I'll have to keep my camera ready.  Thanks for sharing this one.

Leucistic Hummingbird photographed in MN

Message 7 of 7 (298 Views)

Saw this on Twitter:

Leucistic Hummingbird photographed in Minnesota 2017Leucistic Hummingbird photographed in Minnesota 2017

About bird leucism: https://www.thespruce.com/bird-leucism-387342

@JoyaDe Thought you might like to see this. Smiley Happy