ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: How much sleep do you require?

Message 1 of 15

I also go to sleep around 10PM but I wake up around 2 to go to the bathroom and cant  go back to sleep. I drove a truck nights for 40+ years I can`t seem to break that pattern. 10 AM I`m toast.I walk at least 30 min a day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 15

I usually feel refreshed after sleeping 6 hours since I've been a' early bird' most of my life.

I stay up until midnight  during the week,on the weekend I'm usually in bed  between10:30-11pm.I take 3 walks/day,{ weather permitting},after noon nap lasting 10-20min before I take my last walk of the day. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Silver Conversationalist

Message 3 of 15

Never felt rested until I took care of my sleep apnea problem. Now about 7-8 hours is good for me. Don’t care for the time change much though, just leave it on way or the other. Bothers my sleep patterns for a few weeks.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 15

I never feel "rested and refreshed" no matter how long I sleep!  😴

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 15

Anywhere between ten to eleven hours.   I do get up twice to use the bathroom, but I go right back to sleep.

I cycle every other day and nap for an hour after my workout.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 15
antihistamines have an effect that causes whats called anticholinergic and or anticholinesterase activity which leads to tao and beta-amyloid deposition and dementia - it takes years to accumulate so it might not be too late to stop this practice - melatonin starting at 5mg and working up to 20 to 30 mgs a night at 5 mg per week increase will replace what you lose as you age and help with many neurological functions of aging - you may also try 5htp or the resultant tryptophan 500mgs a night as also beneficial for sleep and neurological function! This is not medical advice and should not replace consultation with your chosen provider!
Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 15

I don't know how much sleep I actually require, but I go to bed around 10:00 and fall right asleep, get up after about 4 hours to use the restroom and go back to sleep until it gets light outside.  Since the time change, that means I get up around 6:00 to 6:30.  I take an hour-long nap from 4:30 - 5:30 in the afternoon.  I get quite a bit of exercise during the day, starting with feeding the animals (goats, etc.) and doing yardwork (tree trimming, gardening) before breakfast , and I'm energetic through the day.  And three days a week my husband and I got for a 2-mile walk and I run quite a bit on the way back before starting my chores and before breakfast.  I gues I get the amount of sleep I need. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 15

I get by with 5 hours. If less than that I am worthless. No endurance. Have to lay down a few times during day (I'm retired, luckily). If I get 6 or more I feel like I could run around the world. I usually fall alseep OK, but often can't get back to sleep after going to bathroom 3 or 4 hours later. Looking for suggestions to get sleepy enough to go back to sleep. Now I might take some melatonin or an allergy pill. I take a Unisom every 3rd day before going to sleep and that works, but don't like taking antihistamines.

Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 15

Hopefully when I am dead, I will sleep like the dead!

Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 15

Apparently not as much as I would like!  I usually go to bed between 9:30 and l0 and am able to get to sleep right away (sometimes not if I have a lot on my mind!), but then I wake up at l:30 or 2:00 and that's it.  I watch the clock (hey, I"m not working anymore!) and by 4:00 I've had it, gotta get up.  Rarely I take a nap during the day but if I am really tired I will.  I have been doing these hours for over 40 years so I guess it is hard to change.