Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Elderly respect

Message 11 of 12 (2,177 Views)

jd95204317 wrote:

I have one child and three grandchildren who seem to think that it's no big deal to miss dates we have made with each other.  We agree to meet at a certain time, day and place...usually my home.  It has become a big problem for me as I was always taught (and also taught my daughter and grandkids) that it reflects on your character when you keep appointments and 'walk the walk'.  Actually, they always apologize but then it happens again.  Their key phrase is 'Oh, I totally forgot...sorry'.  WHAT?  It's like they don't have any notion that they make me feel unimportant.  I'm not sure what to do about this sad situation.  We have always been very close and this is something so important that I can't and won't just 'let go'.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW...I always remember our dates....shouldn't it be the other way around......LOL

It is very disrespectful of another person to behave that way..  it suggests that they do not value your time or attention.

What would happen if the next time they did this, you left the house and went out somewhere?  Could you do it?  If not, have a heart to heart and tell them how much it hurts you to be treated this way.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Elderly respect

Message 12 of 12 (2,063 Views)

I have one child and three grandchildren who seem to think that it's no big deal to miss dates we have made with each other.  We agree to meet at a certain time, day and place...usually my home.  It has become a big problem for me as I was always taught (and also taught my daughter and grandkids) that it reflects on your character when you keep appointments and 'walk the walk'.  Actually, they always apologize but then it happens again.  Their key phrase is 'Oh, I totally forgot...sorry'.  WHAT?  It's like they don't have any notion that they make me feel unimportant.  I'm not sure what to do about this sad situation.  We have always been very close and this is something so important that I can't and won't just 'let go'.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW...I always remember our dates....shouldn't it be the other way around......LOL 

apples n oranges