How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Does anyone bike (cycle) a lot? (Need some advice)

Message 1 of 8 (104 Views)

@NerdyMom  We've increased our fitness routines in every way, now that I'm apparently past the phase of hurting myself for no apparent reason (others might understand this thusly: 'now that I have stopped climbing mountains and ending up injured').

So it isn't >just< the cycling that's gotten us both into pretty durned great shape, it's also the weight training, the walking, the 120 minutes a week spent on the mini-trampoline. Oh, plus we gave up alcohol (funny that I mention this since I just had a martini ... but the first one in at least 8 months, and it was to celebrate some beyond fantastic news) but we have also taken a fine tooth comb to our diet and have made adjustments there as well.

Wholistic approach, ours. Smiley Happy Your journey may vary, and that's OK! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (119 Views)

That's great @Epster.   I've lost a little weight with the biking, but mostly notice thinner and more defined legs.  I have started swimming laps again for the summer, and my lungs and legs were strong, but my arms did practically nothing, lol.  

Message 3 of 8 (146 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

I need to find one to test ride!  Smiley Happy I've had some knee issues while riding, but a seat adjustment helped.  That doesn't mean I won't face them in the future, though.   

Do they fit on car bike racks OK?  

There are dozens of makers, of course, but this is the 'find a dealer' web page for the Florida outfit that made ours: http://www.catrike.com/find-dealer

I cannot say enough good things about Catrike. This week they are replacing both of our trike's frames, at no cost to us, because apparently the paint wasn't quite set before they put the mest seat onto the frames and there's unusual wear. We've ridden these things for 5,800 miles in 18 months and the paint is six months out of warranty, but still they offered to replace the frames for free. They are even paying the local dealer to transfer all the gearing, et cetera from the old frames to the new ones. Smiley Happy Catrike jumped to the replacement gig after I sent photos and and a few emails.

Recumbent trikes do not fit well on an upright bike rack, but some models do fold and thus fit in passenger cars. We know quite a few blokes who toss their recumbents in the back of their trucks. We have a double rack, so haul ours around that way. Here's Hitchrack's (the maker of our double rack) YouTube page where you can select a video about your particular rack style. https://www.youtube.com/user/hitchriderracks/videos

Recumbents are not cheap, please note. They will set you back a couple thousand dollars, but consider what neck, wrist, back and knee pain will cost you, and then think about how much more exercise you'll get because your ride is so comfy. 

DH and I have now lost a combined 57 pounds by riding ours.

Catrike's Pocket Recumbent TrikeCatrike's Pocket Recumbent Trike

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 4 of 8 (165 Views)

Epster wrote:

NerdyMom wrote:

Hi, all.  I just got back into biking.  Right now I have a hybrid bike (straight handlebars).  I want to get a lighter bike.  I only do road biking.   Do other folks here use straight handlebars or the drop downs?  If you use the drop downs, does it not bother your back or neck?    Thanks!

@NerdyMom  DH and I solved this bad posture, aching body parts after a 20 mile ride thing by jumping ship and getting recumbent trikes. No sore wrists or numb hands, no neck pain, and no seat pain. Best of all for me is that recumbents are far easier on the knees (I have skeletal alignment issues, but recumbents are known to be easier on older knees anyway). We ride 50-75 miles with comfort.

I need to find one to test ride!  Smiley Happy I've had some knee issues while riding, but a seat adjustment helped.  That doesn't mean I won't face them in the future, though.   

Do they fit on car bike racks OK?  

Message 5 of 8 (168 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

We got back into biking some years ago after a long hiatus. We purchased Trek hybrids with straight handlebars. Like many people, we used to have the racing bikes where you had to 'hunch over', and we got on these new bikes and instantly conformed, and were confortable.   We too only road bike, mostly on bike trails.

These newer hybrids are not too heavy, and even though they don't have the skinny tires with 100lb pressures, the newer tires are engineered to have far less resistance than years ago. We are very happy with sitting straight up and having 21 speeds.

How much weight are you talking about? You realize there is a lot of difference between brands and models, and price. A model such as a Trek, FX2, weighs about 26 pounds. Is that too heavy?  Price is something else --- you're talking about $400 for a decent hybrid.

BTW --- with the hybrids it's only the dupa's that get sore if riding a lot....

I have a 2007 Schwin Super Sport hybrid now.  I like the frame geometry a lot.  Very comfortable to me.  I think it's around 29-30 pounds.   I think I need to learn more about tires.  I have fairly thin tires. 35mm I think. Not like road bikes but better than the thick knobby tires I had on an old mountain bike. I blew one out last month and they replaced them with Gatorskins, which were crazy expensive (to me, $55 each plus tubes), but which have that higher psi. The rolling resistance was better than what I had, but not much better. 

I was looking for a little lighter bike, maybe 25 pounds?  But maybe the wheels are more an issue.  I don't know.  And the gear sets are not great quality, or they've worn out.   They skip middle gears often, despite multiple tune-ups and adjustments.   And the brakes need replacement.  

I just assumed that at this price range for bikes (my max would be $600 new), that it's cheaper to buy new than to replace many components.  

Message 6 of 8 (193 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

Hi, all.  I just got back into biking.  Right now I have a hybrid bike (straight handlebars).  I want to get a lighter bike.  I only do road biking.   Do other folks here use straight handlebars or the drop downs?  If you use the drop downs, does it not bother your back or neck?    Thanks!

@NerdyMom  DH and I solved this bad posture, aching body parts after a 20 mile ride thing by jumping ship and getting recumbent trikes. No sore wrists or numb hands, no neck pain, and no seat pain. Best of all for me is that recumbents are far easier on the knees (I have skeletal alignment issues, but recumbents are known to be easier on older knees anyway). We ride 50-75 miles with comfort.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (201 Views)

We got back into biking some years ago after a long hiatus. We purchased Trek hybrids with straight handlebars. Like many people, we used to have the racing bikes where you had to 'hunch over', and we got on these new bikes and instantly conformed, and were confortable.   We too only road bike, mostly on bike trails.

These newer hybrids are not too heavy, and even though they don't have the skinny tires with 100lb pressures, the newer tires are engineered to have far less resistance than years ago. We are very happy with sitting straight up and having 21 speeds.

How much weight are you talking about? You realize there is a lot of difference between brands and models, and price. A model such as a Trek, FX2, weighs about 26 pounds. Is that too heavy?  Price is something else --- you're talking about $400 for a decent hybrid.

BTW --- with the hybrids it's only the dupa's that get sore if riding a lot....

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

Does anyone bike (cycle) a lot? (Need some advice)

Message 8 of 8 (209 Views)