Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: Cheap cellphone service.

Message 1 of 2 (704 Views)

I agree. I have had Tracfone for almost 5 years. I don't use it a lot, partly because I still have a landline and a desktop. Last year I got a free reconditioned Android (my first smartphone) just for buying a minimal amount if airtime, which I was going to do anyway, with free FedEx overnight. I've been looking for a newer, better phone and have checked out Consumer Cellular and another service. The other service would have given me a free iPhone 6, but the lowest priced plan would have cost me at least $400 for the year. Going back to Tracfone I can get a $99 iPhone 6 and probably would not use more than another $100 or airtime for the rest of the year, plus any minutes or airtime I have left over from my old phone is fully transferable. Or I can get a free Samsung Galaxy if I want to save even more $$ and stick with Android platform. So it looks like, for the light cellphone user, Tracfone is still the cheapest way to have a smartphone.

Bronze Conversationalist

Cheap cellphone service.

Message 2 of 2 (1,530 Views)

OK, let's see if I can get into trouble with AARP (grin).  Quite often, forum visitors see the following ad at page-top:

AARP_Green_728_x_90_Jan.png

But, here's the small print, quote, "The Billed Per Use plan has the lowest monthly fee possible ($9.50) with no included minutes. Only pay for minutes if you use them (23.75¢)."  But the thing that really gets to me about a number of cellular plans is their statement, "No Contracts."  Sorry, but that's a lie by omission.  Any renter will tell you that a month-to-month rental agreement - even if it isn't in writing - is a "contract."  Want to see how quickly that contract would be enforced?  Miss a payment (grin).  Of course, evicting you from your phone service is a heckuva lot easier than evicting you from an apartment.

My cellphone service is through Tracfone ... perhaps the only cellphone service in the country that really has "no contract" (unless you voluntarily opt for one).  I buy airtime by days/minutes.  And once this time is paid for, you don't have to pay them anything more until you get close to running out of days/minutes.  And my phone, when I buy minutes, gives me triple-minutes for life (grin).  Side by side, they're way cheaper than Consumer Cellular.  But, there are other cheaper services, too.

U.S. Mobile has monthly contracts starting at $3 a month ... and that includes 100 minutes before you have to pay anything else.

But, if anyone is getting cheaper cellphone service, please chime in.