The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Birdwatching: Local Open Space Parks

Message 1 of 40 (233 Views)

Epster wrote:

Whilst triking along a waterway yesterday, we were treateds to the sights of incoming migrating waterfowl. There were plenty of seagulls and a host of mallards. Canada geese, too, are showing up in numbers. Here are the othe species we spotted.

Missed this .  There's been plenty of migrating bird action down in Boulder. The usual species

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 40 (324 Views)

Whilst triking along a waterway yesterday, we were treated to the sights of incoming migrating waterfowl. There were plenty of seagulls and a host of mallards. Canada geese, too, are showing up in numbers. Here are the other species we spotted.

A belted KingfisherA belted Kingfisher

We saw 300 cootsWe saw 300 coots

We saw a dozen of so Western GrebesWe saw a dozen of so Western Grebes

We saw a hundred American WigeonsWe saw a hundred American Wigeons

We saw a dozen White PelicansWe saw a dozen White Pelicans

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 40 (427 Views)

Walking on the rec trail by the river last night we were treated to a view of what had to be 30,000 blackbirds flying overhead. As first some landed in the trees, but after about a half mile's worth of birds passed, those in the trees flew off after them. And then another half mile's worth flew overhead. It was quite a bit like this:

A lady who lives right off the rec trail said they have been flying east in the morning and returning west at sunset. This has been happening, she said, all week.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 4 of 40 (549 Views)

ip3285 wrote:
No cold weather here - it's like the subtropics. The bird population does change seasonally, though, and we enjoy seeing what's at the feeders at each time of year. The sound of peacocks landing on the house roof is what you'd expect if an elephant landed - one loud crash. My dogs don't understand what's going on. My older son lived in Aurora CO for a few years and had a room in his house for us. It was beautiful there and a relief from our heat. However, he's back here in So. CA again and I'm happy to have him here. He's an animals and bird lover, too. I'm looking forward to the barn owns coming back to the box my husband built for them many years ago. The same couple comes back every year and we named them Christopher and Philomena. They hatched three babies a couple of years ago. The hawks killed one of them, but two learned to fly and we loved watching them.

@ip3285  I wanted to ask you --but needed to get over the Rockies before a forecast snowstorm, so didn't-- about your barn owls.

This pair breeds in your box each year. Have you seen your barn owl population increase? I guess I'm wondering about their behavior: do the babies establish themselves nearby?  I imagine you get to see the babies fledge, which would be fantastic. (Fluffy owl heads might be the cutest thing in the entire world. Smiley Happy)

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 40 (602 Views)

@HammH  Lake Loveland was filled with pelicans (pellies) when we traveled through yesterday. Perhaps 5 dozen of them. Maybe more.

white pelicanwhite pelican

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 40 (606 Views)

We saw a great blue heron, mallards, shovelers, American wigeons, lesser scaups and a northern harrier today. They were in an open space pond some 15 miles to the north of us.  All good signs. Smiley Happy

Northern shovelerNorthern shoveler

American wigeonAmerican wigeon

lesser scauplesser scaup

great blue herongreat blue heron

northern harriernorthern harrier

Message 7 of 40 (772 Views)

@ip3285 Awwww! Love that you named your owls! Such a lovely gift to be able to watch the pair raise a family.

Oh, I see I misunderstood. Sorry. I was thinking back to the noise a flock of sparrows makes when landing on the mesh cover of our yard. Interesting that peacocks land so hard, especially given that they are such a graceful looking bird. Smiley Happy

We have a great horned owl that hoots from a telephone pole on the property most winter mornings (not so much in summer... then it stays down by the river). We've never seen the mate, nor have we ever seen fledges.

But the various species' fledges: isn't that a big reason to have nesting boxes? It's such a treat to watch them learn the ropes. We get to see what we call magpie flight school: the parents teaching the young how to fly using the boulders on the ridge behind our house as a classroom. My imagined narrative "OK, little ones: hop over here." Babies hop over to rock Mom's on. Mom moves to bigger rock. "OK, now fly to me." Babies hesitantly swoop over; one usually turns back to first rock. And so on. Fun stuff. Smiley Happy

I must be getting to the day's events: much to accomplish before the winter storm (and its 6 inches of snow) arrive this evening. Smiley Happy

We'll chat some more soon, I hope. I enjoy hearing about your place and your animals.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 40 (795 Views)
No cold weather here - it's like the subtropics. The bird population does change seasonally, though, and we enjoy seeing what's at the feeders at each time of year. The sound of peacocks landing on the house roof is what you'd expect if an elephant landed - one loud crash. My dogs don't understand what's going on. My older son lived in Aurora CO for a few years and had a room in his house for us. It was beautiful there and a relief from our heat. However, he's back here in So. CA again and I'm happy to have him here. He's an animals and bird lover, too. I'm looking forward to the barn owns coming back to the box my husband built for them many years ago. The same couple comes back every year and we named them Christopher and Philomena. They hatched three babies a couple of years ago. The hawks killed one of them, but two learned to fly and we loved watching them.

Message 9 of 40 (810 Views)

@ip3285  Sounds wonderful! Those peacocks are big birds. I bet they make a noise when landing on the mesh. 

Hubby and I spent a couple decades in rural California, though we were in the Sierra and the Cacades way to the north of you. We quite agree that country living is interesting. Wouldn't trade it for anything in no small part because of the wildlife. Here in the Colorado Rockies, our place is in the transition zone, so we get all sorts of migrating birds, but also a ton of mammals that move around with the food supply. 

Right, I forgot: mountain chickadees have been hanging out in our willows. Sure sign of cold weather, that. Smiley Happy

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 40 (817 Views)
We're in southern California, in the hot rural area of the county of San Diego. We're at about 1245' with higher mountains above us. We get lots of hawks and other birds of prey, which is why we have chicken wire over the chicken coop. We have chicken wire over half of the goat enclosure, but they have a very large area in which to play. When there are wild animals roaming the area, such as the recent mountain lion that ate a neighbor's ducks, we close the goats in their upper yard that has the wire roof. Birds get into both enclosures and sometimes have trouble finding their way out, but eventually they do. Then there are the peacocks from a farm on the road in back of us who jump onto the roof and make it sound like an elephant has landed. Beautiful birds, despite their mess, stealing food from my garden, and leaving "mounds" on the back deck next to the kitchen door. Life in the country is interesting!!