Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Work & Retirement

Info Seeker
DrumCloudGirl

Was I discriminated against?

Looking for some input. I recently had an interview at a local Target store. I remember the on-line application asked if I "was over 40." I am wondering if this is legal. When I exited the store, I didn't see *anyone* who even remotely looked like me-everyone seemed to be early 20s. Has anyone here had experience with interviewing at Target? I thought my interview went well-this was for a credit greeter and cashier position, both of which I have extensive experience. Many thanks for any answers/direction you may be able to provide me. I am new to the AARP Forums and hope to help someone else out.
Please use plain text.
Retired Moderator
AARPBetty

Re: Was I discriminated against?

At this time of year, there is rampant employment discrimination going on!
If you are overweight, male, and wear a long white beard, you can get hired in a minute!!

Kiss
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
lmchristmann

In Response to Re: Was I discriminated against?:
You, like me, found out that what is legal and what we can do about it are two different things.  As a potential employee, you really cannot tell an employer that the question that have just asked is illegal if you hope to get a job. Of course, you would likely prefer NOT to work for such an employer, but sometimes a job with a firm you are disappointed in is better than no job.

What is the point of laws if there is no real barrier to breaking them? Those of us over 50 need better protection from unscrupulous employers.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
voosman

When you reach the age of 50, prepare for the discrimination to begin. While you may have the credentials for the job and your physically able, you will alway lose out to a younger applicant. Be prepared for "there are quite a few applicants for this job" or "your credentials are impressive but...". The shame of it is that both large and small companies look at you the same. For them, we are a liability and not an asset no matter what we bring to the table. It's a humiliating experience that wears you down over time. There is no level playing field out there for people over 50 as much I would hope otherwise. Discrimination is easy to hide with the right words placed delicately in a rejection email.
Please use plain text.
Conversationalist
oklagramma

Yes.  In the late 70's I was told point blank by school principals and/or HR interviewers that they were sorry they could not hire me because they needed to place more minorities in the system to satisfy federal anti-discrimination policies against blacks.

Yes, again, when I moved to a new city and was in my early 50's, I couldn't seem to get hired as a teacher.  FInally I asked a principal to tell me honestly (without repercussions from me) why she thought I was not being hired.  She readily replied that 90% of her staff was composed of young females under 30 and she had to give preference to a teacher who would "fit in" with that group more readily.  Another principal told me that my experience would require more in salary and if she continued to hire "under 30's" she could easily hire one or more additional faculty members. My former designation as a District Teacher of the Year did nothing to raise me out of the restricted age category.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
pnassoc4u

On line applications remove the human element from the process.  As a result, selecting a "qualified Candidate" becomes the luck of the draw.  I would bet that each question and answer is weighted.  Once the applicant "passes", the applicant is ok'd.  At this point HR or the store mnager interviews and places the applicant.   While a host of large corporations have embraced this method, it has legal consequences.  
On an application to Macy's, the question appeared, "what is your ethnicity?" .  It said I did not have to answer, but the online program would not allow me to proceed with the application.  I questiond HR, but did not receive an adequate answer.  She suggested that:  1.  it was to meet federal hiring guidlines - legal issue.  2.  Just select an answer.  I became an native American Indian.  
Federal laws seem to contradict - You can not ask this, but you must to comply with federal regulations.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
susan776

Sorry I never interviewed at Target but I did have many interviews in advertising.  I worked 20 years and could not get a position.  Everyone who interviewed me was under 30.  I know it is age dicrimination because I had every skill needed for the positions.

I believe there should be a quota systen for companies where they have to have a percentage of over 50 employees.  This system worked well with minorities and should be applied for seniors.  Companies need a blend of ages not just younger employees.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
630simmonsave

In Response to Was I discriminated against?:
Looking for some input. I recently had an interview at a local Target store. I remember the on-line application asked if I "was over 40." I am wondering if this is legal. When I exited the store, I didn't see *anyone* who even remotely looked like me-everyone seemed to be early 20s. Has anyone here had experience with interviewing at Target? I thought my interview went well-this was for a credit greeter and cashier position, both of which I have extensive experience. Many thanks for any answers/direction you may be able to provide me. I am new to the AARP Forums and hope to help someone else out.
Posted by DrumCloudGirl

Yes. You were definitely discriminated against. Target is a very discriminatory company. They discriminate against age, race, and gender. I would never shop at a Target store. you should consider filing a claim against them. Best of success to you.
Please use plain text.
Gold Conversationalist
2Papa

I question if a big corporation like Target would have an illegal question on their job application. Those forms are all standardized and authored by lawyers and HR  professionals.  What is the status of your application?  Did they tell you they were not going to hire you or is the application "awaiting review"?
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
mary3820

It is impossible to say whether or not you were discriminated against based soley on the question. However, I would advise that you contact the Equal Employment Commission and file a claim.  It would have to be investigated to see whether all applicants were asked this question, whether or not there is a practice in place whereby applicants under the age of 40 are hired in greater number than those over 40 years of age.  The burden of proof is on you to prove that you were discriminated against, however, this inquiry should get the ball rolling. If there is a pattern of hiring under 40 years of age candidates, then your case will probably be taken by EEOC and investigated. .  Additionally, EEOC will have to determine the number of applicants applied in both age groups and compare that data.  They will also analyze the workforce to determine the age group of all employees.  This is worth looking further into. Just contact your local Equal Opportunity Employment Commission and get started.
lIn Response to Was I discriminated against?:
Looking for some imentnput. I recently had an interview at a local Target store. I remember the on-line application asked if I "was over 40." I am wondering appif this is legal. When I exited the store, I didn't see *anyone* who even remotely looked like me-everyone seemed to be early 20s. Has anyone here had experience with interviewing at Target? I thought my interview went well-this was for a credit greeter and cashier position, both of which I have extensive experience. Many thanks for any answers/direction you may be able to provide me. I am new to the AARP Forums and hope to help someone else out.
Posted by DrumCloudGirl

Please use plain text.