Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Tax Filings - When Do You Start?

Message 21 of 25 (2,094 Views)

I don't --- DW does it (Woman LOL), and still does everything the old fashioned way, sans software.

She keeps pretty good records all year, and most info is already on Fidelity anyway. I contribute by making some manly grunts of approval. Smiley Wink

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 25 (2,012 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

However in 2017, the IRS has established some new dates specifically to get better at stopping fraud.  They will be double checking those which have certain characteristics to hopefully watch OUR money better.

IRS - News Release:  2017  IR-2016-167 dated December 09, 2016:  Tax Filing Season Begins Jan. 23 fo...

Good to get the word out on the changes; glad you shared the link.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 25 (1,881 Views)

I have all of my tax info on my computer and it stays updated so once I get all the informational forms and I check them, it doesn't take much time to finish.  I do my own since I am well versed in the current rules, regs and processes for those areas where I have involvement.

However in 2017, the IRS has established some new dates specifically to get better at stopping fraud.  They will be double checking those which have certain characteristics to hopefully watch OUR money better.

IRS - News Release:  2017  IR-2016-167 dated December 09, 2016:  Tax Filing Season Begins Jan. 23 fo...

[ Edited ]
Message 24 of 25 (1,777 Views)

We start right away. DH downloaded the latest TurboTax last night.

We like to get it out of our hair, but also given the massive rise in tax fraud, like to try to beat fraudsters to the filing. Not that we ever get much --if anything-- back, mind you, because that's the way we like to play it, but still.

And I keep records all year, so all I have to do is hand them over to him.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Tax Filings - When Do You Start?

Message 25 of 25 (1,759 Views)

Now that the books are closed on 2016, we can all start putting together the records we need for our income tax filings. The question is when do you ACTUALLY start doing that? Do you start working right away, with the information you already have .. or wait until you think you have everything, before getting started?

I actually began working on my list of charitable donations yesterday, knowing I wasn't making any additional ones in 2016. This morning I put together my list of medical expenses, although I have to do a review/clean-up of that list. For me, it's kind of an exercise in mentally transitioning to the new year! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!