The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: need some advice

Message 1 of 8 (175 Views)

Unfortunately life isn't fair and we sometimes just need to hide a lawyer, justice will prevail, there should be a free legal service for your community that should be able to at least answer some basic questions and dpget you headed in the right direction, it did help me, you have to put in the work. If there is an error somewhere, then as a good parent you won't feel taken advantage of after finding out you may or may not owe child support, best wishes to your pursuit

Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 8 (212 Views)

I'm not sure this will help, but short of paying for a lawyer to "fight city hall" for you,  I would say to call your State Senator's office (I assume it's a state matter) and explain your situation to them and see if they can help.  Surprisingly, sometimes they can help and often do.  On the other hand If it's the IRS then it's a federal matter and your federal Senator or Congressman may help.

Also, if the politicians won't help, contact the news department of a TV station in the nearest big city and see if it  has one of those 'public advocates' in their news department.  I'm not thinking they will be much help in a federal issue, but politicians don't like that kind of publicity and might be shamed into some kind of action.  Remember he/she may work in Washington but they still have to be elected in their home state.

In any case you can take matters into your own hands.  Your local paper may have a 'public editor' or something like that who can publicize your problem, so call them.  Or sign up on a few discussion forums in your state and let others in your area know, or even start a specific Facebook page about your specific issue and get other locals to back you up by writing to the politicians.

Or even run for office yourself.  It's almost a given you won't win the election but people will start paying attention to you and if you're running against the politicians who wouldn't help you, the public will know about it.  Politicians can be very helpful around election time.

No guarantees, but it is often true that the more noise you make, the better chances of results you have.  Good luck.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 8 (300 Views)

time to seek a lawyer

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 8 (341 Views)

If your son is not physically or mentally disabled, or the payments are going for back payments, you should not be paying child support.  The lost paperwork, needs to be submitted again but this time make sure you get a receipt of some kind showing you submitted it.  If those payments were taken wrongfully, you should be able to get your money back.  You may need to get an attorney to assist you.  I hope you can resolve this matter soon.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 8 (503 Views)

First of all --> follow the Money! You'll need to get with your employer, or gather all your pay stubs for however long-a-period you've been paying. If your employer is deducting from your check, or if there is an attachment from the county, there should be account routing numbers which will lead either you or your attorney to the institution receiving the payments. Once you have this information you can have it recorded along with your record of payments. BTW, if they gave you a notice to appear, then they know more than they're letting on. Lawyer Up!! Try : http://family-law.freeadvice.com/family-law/child_support/, or maybe http://www.justanswer.com/sip/law?r=ppc|ga|13|Law%20-%20Legal%20-%20US%20-%20Google%20-%20Content%20... I'm not involved with either, but just Googled them... I paid child support when I lived in Alaska andhad to Lawter-up a couple of times.  Look for Family Law or Child Support when Googling. The search results you get should be targeted to your location! Best wishes.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 8 (571 Views)

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to hear me out.Im still floored by the fact that my son was 25 when I was notified. I told them I didn't have any babies and I don't know how they did it but I'm not the mother. I have one son and he's 25, and has been in my care up until now, cause he has a family of his own. I left his father when he was 3yrs of age. I never pressed for child support. Although the D.A did.The D.As office would ask me if I new where.the father lived,worked,  or if I new where they could find him .After a numerous amount of calls I finally told them it wasn't my job to find him..

The Monterey County had more of an interest .than I did. Well the father had passed away.but did manage to take child support when he worked. I didn't see any cause he owed "arears" ?  Which is interest when you don't pay. I have 25yrs of interest I found out I owe as well as 25% of my income every wk. I pay it to Monterey County of child support. The county couldn't find me but had delivered a court notice to appear. I was supposed to b the one who signed it. Well I asked to see this notice..and it hasn't surfaced. I went on line, to find an attorney who would help me here in Monterey County.  Is there a website I go to with attorneys in my area that would help based on my income. I could never have anything as long as the county has me in debt w/them . There is no one in the child support office  that will help me clear this up. or let me get a court date and show the judge my paperwork and wut i have to prove they've been taking money from someone who doesn't owe. Im just tired of bumping my head on the wall. It's frustrating 

Liven Victory
Silver Conversationalist

Message 7 of 8 (620 Views)

NOT my area of experience or do I have any idea what area or laws you are bound to. I just got off the phone with my friend who is an attorney and it all depends she said.

1 - Why are you paying for a 35 year old son (regardless, he is an adult now).

2 - To whom are you paying the "child support" (To your son, or to your Ex-spouse?)

3 - Do you have an attorney? (If not, I was advised for you to get one FAST)

4 - Something is WRONG, from my perspective looking in, and from my attorney friends viewpoint.

The only other suggestion my friend had for you was to look on line and contact an attorney. There are hundreds of attorneys on line that will to a great extent, advise you of your legal rights and NOT charge you a dime for their advice. Try to find one that is in your jurisdiction so they can be accurate to the letter of the local laws.

You may have to get a live attorney, it will cost, but in the long run, if the attorney can clear up any legal issues that are going on, it could save you money in the long run.

I hope the best for you.

Info Seeker

need some advice

Message 8 of 8 (640 Views)

I live in Monterey county ..One day I reciwved a notice saying..I owed child support. My son was 25 yrs. old at that time.I tried to clear it up there is a computor error..Ive gotten my paychecks w/25% taken for child support. I thought well they can pay me back once it's cleared up. I don't get my tax refund cause it's taken for child support.  I filled out all the paper work needed to prove I don't owe child support,along w/copies of supporting documents., When I didntdidn't hear from them I went to the office .My paperwork was lost. It happened twice.  My son is now 36 and I'm still paying. Im frustrated and at my wits end. If anyone can help w/advice. on what I can do . I'm ready to listen.

Sincerely Vickie

Liven Victory