Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Re: Why only Fitbit

If that is the case the website needs to be updated to say only Fitbit.  Right now Garmin is included.  That is not fair to us who refused to get a Fitbit.  The website has false information.  As you see below it states Garmin as a supported device.

As stated on the website

Supported Devices

We sync with all of the major fitness trackers: Fitbit, Garmin, Misfit, as well as Apple Health (which comes with iPhones and Apple Watches).

Contributor

I have been trying to sync my Fitbit to aarp. I have uninstall and reinstall everything and I still not receiving points with my fitbit. It appears alit of people are having the same issue 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@TammyB721762 I will escalate the issue with your fitbit, and I'll need some information. What type of device are you using? Did you separately go into its app and give it permission to share data with AARP Rewards? Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have vivofit from Garmin. Why only fitbit. I really dont think it fair to only use on brand. I love my garmin. I walk 5 mile a day and I can't get points. This is **bleep**

Retired Community Manager

@Soosietyrell 

We know this is important to our members and are actively working to bring on new devices.

Contributor

I also have a Garmin. It is much better than a Fitbit I had previously. I would like to be a part of your fitness program. Please expand your program to include Garmin devices. 

Contributor

I have had a Fitbit for about 5 months now and just realized it is waterproof. all the employees where I work got one from the company to encourage a healthy life style.  I run a couch to 5K with my students so it helps me track our progress.

My granddaughter has a similar tracker, she paid the a lot less than mine and it does more than mine.  I think if it does what you need it to do, it does not matter what the brand name is.  I would have not bought a fitbit, but since it was given to me, I enjoy it.

Periodic Contributor

Yeah, I have Vivofit & just got a garmin fenix Chronos (saved for it a long time ๐Ÿ˜‰ We need Love too!
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't have either, but I walk 4.8 miles 5 times a week. I could track that on my Nano Ipod, but I don't. Still, if I could, I'd use that Nano to get R4G points.

I suspect the reason AARP allows only one brand of fitness tracker to be used to earn points is that Fitbit pays them to be promoted via R4G. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos

Agree with everyone here. I too have Garmin Vivofit and it's linked to 'myfitnesspal' which works well for me. I do 8-10,000+ steps every day--and I cannot log them here. Unfair. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@LexiandMaxMom et. al.

The mission of the program is to help enrich the lives of our members by awarding reward points for completing fitness milestones as well as participating in the quizzes and tools on the AARP.org website. At this time we are only able to track fitness milestones via our partnership with Fitbit. We are in the process of exploring program integration with some of the other popular fitness devices so that we can expand this point earning opportunity.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos

I have a Garmin and I am a new member. Please expand to include GARMIN!!!

Periodic Contributor

you are suppose to connect to your Garmin. I am having the same problem.  The instructions online say click on sync fitness tracker, but it is no where to be found!  I have even sent in screen shots and the only thing I am told call in.  It is very hard for AARP to send correct instructions in an email.  I am not going to waste my time on calling.  I would say someone has to update the website.  It should not be this hard to do.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@FaithC170856 On the "Earn" page (https://www.aarp.org/rewards/earn/), you'll see a heart icon and "Sync a fitness tracker" on the right hand side of the page. Here's a direct link to that page: https://www.aarp.org/rewards/earn/#selectDevice. Hope this helps! 

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Contributor

i have a fitbit - none of your directions work - even the direct link is a failure - been trying for over an hour - with two different browsers and then with my iphone - the described "sync" appears on zero of these - will try to call in tomorrow

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Exactly who is in charge of AARP'S web presence? There are so many issues with your sites its a waste of time to come here.

The current issue is my Fitbit that syncs with everyone (UHC, Renew Active, etc) but NOT with AARP. Don't send any instructions or screenshots. Fix the problem. I can see AARP has permissions on Fitbit's site but NOTHING is synced to AARP. Again, all other non-AARP sites sync. And I've tried three different browsers.

Is there any way AARP can compensate us for all the time we waste trying to work with your sites? I am retired and have the time but dealing with your sites is raising my blood pressure and alarming my doctor.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's two days later and there has been no response to my post.

And no fitbit tracking on my AARP account. If anyone does read this, the AARP site is listed in my fitbit account as having permissions to communicate with fitbit. And I have removed and synced my fitbit versa 2 bout 5 times, now. No luck. Except with all the other sites that have permissions.

Now what? Anyone?

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@ness23456 I'm happy to look into this for you. What device are you accessing your Fitbit App on? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't understand your question. What has that got to do with anything?

I am using a Samsung A10e android phone. A Hewlett Packer laptop with Windows 10 and tried  Firefox, Explorer, and Chrome. A tablet with Silk.

None of them work.

Please note my earlier emails so we can save time:

My fitbit syncs with all other sites that can use it.(Renew Active, etc.)

My fitbit account shows AARP as having permissions to share information.

NOTHING shows on my AARP account as being tracked. I have removed and resynced 5 times.

As a last resort I posted here.

Can I call in my steps/activity? So far I've lost over 300 points.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@ness23456 I've escalated this issue to be investigated and you will be contacted in 3-5 business days. In the meantime, I needed to know what device you're using for troubleshooting tips. 

Turn on the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app.  
Turn on All-Day Sync in the Fitbit app. This setting prompts your Fitbit device to periodically sync with the Fitbit app.
Make sure Bluetooth setting on your phone is on and location services are turned on
If you use more than one device to sync, make sure the other device isn't nearby. If the device is nearby, turn off Bluetooth on it.
If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart your Android phone.
If your Fitbit device won't sync after you reinstall the app, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync. 
If your Fitbit device still doesnโ€™t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your phone and try to sync.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

There is no trouble syncing with Fitbit App, Fitbit Website, and REnew Active, among other sites: all sync perfectly...and have for all the days I've owned the Fitbit.

I do see I received 150 points (in the AARP Transaction History) for 10,622 steps on 2/18/2020, yesterday on 2/19/2020.

Still no record of 10,324 steps on 2/16/2020 on AARP.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@nes23456 Thanks for confirming everything is synced. Our escalation team will look into it and any missing points will be added. Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I confirmed everything synced in my original post on  2/18/2020. What is the deal with your responses?

UHC and Renew Active all update daily and receive all activity. Why not AARP?

Please.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Any updates on this topic?  I really donโ€™t want to buy a Fitbit just to get points when there are many other good fitness trackers out there

Periodic Contributor

From experience don't buy a Fitbit.  They are a waste of money.  They are lucky to last a year if that.  It is not worth the hassle or money. You would waste of a lot of your time chatting, email or talking to them on the phone.

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARPTeri - Any update on when Garmin will be added to Rewards for Good?  Sounds like a lot of members (including me) that are serious activity trackers like Garmin.

0 Kudos

I'd like to know what is happening with garmin too.

Apparently it shows as my tracker but I cannot login so I can track my steps.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@SheilaR104170 Can you describe your issue in more detail? Where are you unable to log in?

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos

Me, too. It was a gift.  I wasn't able to afford the more expensive one, and if AARP is all about saving money, then I would think they would include all fitness bits.  But, I suspect there may be advertising support going on for the one special brand.

Contributor

I also have VivoFit from Garmin and have the same question.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP