Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Silver Conversationalist

Re: What did you buy during your midlife (old age, or divorce) crisis?

Message 11 of 24 (274 Views)

At my midlife crisis, I let a dog named Lucky adopt me from the kennel.  She boarded and raised me for 10 years and I lapped up every minute of it.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 24 (280 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

My idea of what a mid-life crisis might be is when you are at the age that there is more of your life behind you than in front of you. The reaction is to buy something, do something, or change something that will give you back a bit of the old excitment you had when everything in your life was new and shiny.  

I like your explanation. Maybe that's why all of my mid-like crisese (how do you spell the plural of crisis?) were subdued. The only thing that was ever in front of me were big dreams that never came to fruition. I always had to settle for what I could get, instead of what I really wanted. I got used to it and it never really became a crisis (or maybe it's a never-ending crisis; I can't tell the difference).

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 24 (313 Views)

My idea of what a mid-life crisis might be is when you are at the age that there is more of your life behind you than in front of you. The reaction is to buy something, do something, or change something that will give you back a bit of the old excitment you had when everything in your life was new and shiny.  

My first husband was quite a bit older than I was. I might have been a part of his mid-life crisis. Or perhaps his ex-wife kicking him out was part of hers. For whatever reason, he was finally growing out the Marine Corp buzz cut.  Adding a bit of color to the gray in his hair.  After we'd been married for almost two years and had a new baby, he bought a me a shiny red convertible.  A few years later, the purchase was a dune buggy.  

We were together for almost 21 years. He died many years ago now, and during the past 20 years, I've been acting out with my own mid-life rebellion.  

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 24 (337 Views)

IrishScribe3471 wrote:

When I was 19 years old, a young man proposed to me and even promised to buy me a red Corvette if I would marry him.  Well, after about 12 years of marriage and still no red Corvette, he traded me in for two 19-year olds.  (One at a time, that is.) 

For many years I have kept a matchbox red Corvette and dreamed of having a real one.  I didn't need the fast speed, just the neat looks of a sports car.

Several months ago, my 18-year old car developed paint-missing stripes along the top of the passenger side; and they didn't really look neat like racing stripes so I found them not to my liking.

A week ago I traded that striped car in for a red 2-door 4-cylinder coupe and have decided it is my answer to the missing red Corvette.  I think I will give it a name, Carvette.

Sorry to hear your sad story. But that is a funny name for a car.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out one reason why "men are affraid of commitment". It seems that, when you were young, somebody was too quick to offer you the "first shiny thing" to come along. Superficial commitments are not made to last. And neither are superficial offers. Perhaps subconsciously you both knew that, but decided to say, "oh, what the heck.", anyway.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 15 of 24 (394 Views)

When I was 19 years old, a young man proposed to me and even promised to buy me a red Corvette if I would marry him.  Well, after about 12 years of marriage and still no red Corvette, he traded me in for two 19-year olds.  (One at a time, that is.) 

For many years I have kept a matchbox red Corvette and dreamed of having a real one.  I didn't need the fast speed, just the neat looks of a sports car.

Several months ago, my 18-year old car developed paint-missing stripes along the top of the passenger side; and they didn't really look neat like racing stripes so I found them not to my liking.

A week ago I traded that striped car in for a red 2-door 4-cylinder coupe and have decided it is my answer to the missing red Corvette.  I think I will give it a name, Carvette.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 24 (488 Views)

I bought a car almost identical to my first car, a Viking Blue 1972 Olds 442 convertible with a white top and white interior. My first one wasn't a convertible.  So I made up for that this time.     

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 24 (635 Views)

If buying something one does during a mid-life crisis, then maybe my concept of a mid-life crisis is wrong.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 24 (777 Views)

I confess...bought my 1st motorcycle shortly after my 60th birthday.

Message 19 of 24 (1,077 Views)

JoyaDe wrote:

Having the 10 year old at home will keep you sane, (maybe) for the next few years. Watch out once he's launched and on his own. That's when all those day dreams start kicking in, big time....

I completely agree!  I will miss my son when he leaves, but I am not one to sit and pine away for the younger years.  I've got a lot I'd like to do.   Smiley Happy 

Message 20 of 24 (1,146 Views)

Having the 10 year old at home will keep you sane, (maybe) for the next few years. Watch out once he's launched and on his own. That's when all those day dreams start kicking in, big time....