How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Re: What did you buy during your midlife (old age, or divorce) crisis?

Message 1 of 24 (105 Views)

@2Papa   It might be time for you to buy a new one.  Did you see the movie "Grease"?  The guy takes a condom out of his wallet, after having it in there for a number of years, and finds out it's trash and it breaks when he's trying to get it out of the package....

Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 24 (108 Views)

@pvdugas  What a beautiful car. I loved convertibles.  Why were the oil changes so expensive?  

My first one was a 1965 Mustang. I bought it used in 1966 from a guy who'd been given a company car. The milage was very low, and I only paid $1600 for it. Wish I still owned it.  Unfortunately I totalled that one when I fell asleep at the wheel and hit a parked car.  The next one was a 1969  Ford Torino. I had that one for many years. It was ordered new from the dealer in 1968. I used to get very attached to my cars when I drove them everyday. Since retirement, they aren't such an important part of my life anymore. I may just spend a half an hour in the car a couple times a week...

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 24 (125 Views)

Since high school my dream was to own a BMW.  In 2006, two days before mother's day my dream became a reality.  I had put out some feelers and the BMW dealer contacted me and told me he had something I might be interetsed in. I immediately jumped on the freeway. When I arrived he had it parked right out front.

Braxton.jpg

I was so flippin excited but I knew I could not afford a convertible.  I bought it certified pre-owned, 2003 325 CIC.  4,000 miles. They gave me a deal and I had the car for 7 years. I had regular maintenance but the $300.00 oil changes were killing me. The battery went dead and it cost $300.00. I remember telling the BMW repair Manager "I'm almost afraid to ask what that might cost..don't tell me $300.00 right?"  In 2013 I had to say goodbye and sold it. It was really in great condition and only had 43,000 miles on it.  I got a good deal but it hurt to let it go. I also own a Nissan truck. I drove that for around again for 2 years and then opted for something more manageable monetarily -  A 2015 Nissan Sentra. Oil changes $29.95. I took many pictures of "Braxton" which is what I named him and I look back fondly on our time together. It was something I can scratch off of my bucket list.

That which you attempt to control...controls you - Iyanla Vanzant
Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 24 (136 Views)
good idea about buying before retirement.....wished I'd have thought of that.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 24 (143 Views)

BMW, RV....both gone and glad.  Midlife crisis is necessary in order to get it out of our systems before we can't afford it in retirement.  Go for it while still working and can pay for the mistakes!

amcoffiebean
Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 24 (179 Views)

That sounds like a great vacation. Does your wife enjoy driving it?  My first standard transmission car was a 1951 Dodge with a transmission that was referred to as a "slush-a-matic."  It had 3 on the tree. You didn't have to start out in 1st gear, it was very forgiving...in the use of the clutch. No one had taught me to drive, and my first time driving this car was to go get the money to pay for it. $150 Starting out from a stop, on a hill, proved a bit problematic, but I eventually got the hang of it, and from then on, many of my cars had standard tranmissions. Now, I wish I still could. My knee problems ended the standard transmission phase for me. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 24 (184 Views)

At the age of 70 while on vacation my wife saw an add for a 1 year old Red Mazda Miata convertible. I had 2 old ones prior to this. The ad said it had automatic transmission so she would be able to drive it. We drove an hour and a half to the dealer. My wife jumped in and said she was ready to go. I looked in and said I don't think so its standard shift. She said buy it anyways and I did. 

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 24 (213 Views)

m907706g wrote:

At my midlife crisis, I let a dog named Lucky adopt me from the kennel.  She boarded and raised me for 10 years and I lapped up every minute of it.

Now that sounds like a worthwhile thing to do. It's akin to taking a step back and pondering things, and first doing no harm.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 24 (214 Views)

I confess when I was around 50 I bought some condoms and put one in my wallet.  Well, it is about to have its 25th anniversary!

Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 24 (231 Views)

@m907706g  Great idea to get the dog.  All of mine, most all of them adopted from the humane society, have been my wonderful best friends and travel companions. My dog Lucy could have been renamed American Express, because her attitude was "don't leave home without me".  I seldom did. She, traveled with me on my move to New Mexico, and back up north to MN every year to visit.