The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 21 of 44 (2,861 Views)

I would have to agree, as well.  I just received a renewal notice six months before my membership expires.  I'm sorry, but that is just rediculous.

Info Seeker

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 22 of 44 (2,793 Views)

Someone should sue AARP for unfair and deceptive trade practices under consumer law, especially when they are naturally targeting seniors..  It would be very interesting to have AARP accounting records supoenaed to deterimne how much AARP gains by sending out these misleading mailings....

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 44 (3,116 Views)

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE -- TOTAL SCAM - GOTTA WONDER HOW MANY THOUSANDS OF 'OLDER FOLKS' ARE GETTING SCAMMED THIS WAY!!!!!

another Debbie

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 44 (3,280 Views)

I totally agree with this.  In fact if AARP doesn't stop this very annoying practice, I will NOT RENEW in 2017 when my membership actualy comes us for renewal.  Seriously is AARP there to help senior citizens or take advantage of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 25 of 44 (3,514 Views)
The simple solution, AARP Teri: Reprogram your mailing list computer to only send out one renewal, thirty days before a given membership is up. Further, have a CLEARLY MARKED line that simply has the renewal date in it, as in "RENEWAL DATE: 03/08/2015." Anything else, and I'll keep calling, "Scam!" as will many, many others, in here!
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 44 (3,463 Views)

I SO AGREE with you! I'm tired of my mail box always being stuffed with renewal notices and all the "aarp partner" mailings.. sometimes I have 2-4 mailings a week trying to sell me insurances and to renew my already renewed membership.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 44 (3,429 Views)

Thanks Teri for at least commenting on these frequent reminders.  Every time I get a notice I have to dig out my card to see if the time is near.  I have been getting renewal letters for months and I am not due to renew til May.  Why not just send a renewal notice, THEN, if we don't renew, then start sending renewal reminders.  Seems it would save a lot of postage and paper, and a lot of agrevation for your members.

Dian Bounds

Community Manager

Message 28 of 44 (3,494 Views)

AARP is not trying to scam anyone around their renewal of membership.  I have escalated the original post and provided your email address,  Debbie you will be contacted by our Membership Department regarding both of these items.  

AARPTeri
Silver Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 29 of 44 (3,436 Views)

I must respectfully disagree with Astraea.  I have looked at several renewal notices I received from AARP, and other subscription services, and the expiration dates are either not on the notices or encoded to the point of being undecipherable to those not up on the code.  With that in mind, I will maintain my belief that a scam is intended, just as others have charged, in here.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 44 (3,425 Views)

The reality is that ALL organizations with "members" & "subscribers", start sending out renewal notices up to 6 months before the period expires. The renewal usually has the expiration date noted on it, so there's no attempt to make people think it's sooner than it actually is. I doubt there's anything secretive or deliberately designed to take advantage, with this way of doing things, annoying as it might be.

The other side of the coin is that many people seem to need 2 to 4 reminders to renew memberships & subscriptions, and often wait until after the period expires, before doing it.

It's our responsibility to keep track of our own records, and check expiration dates, before sending in renewals.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!