Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Suggestions for a new mattress

Message 1 of 5 (1,724 Views)

This old  house has doors with a 34" openings, so when the guy at the mattress store asked me if the delivery would incur any 'tight' turns or stairways, as Ricky would say to Lucy, I essplained to him it would be a nice clear 'straight shot' back to the bedroom Smiley Very Happy . We did have to pay a little extra for the delivery, but I drive a Smart car, so just try and visualize a little red Smart car running down the road with a fat mattress and box springs tied on top of it Smiley LOL . However, you're right about stairways. Even as roomy as this house is, the staircase is narrow with very a tight turn up at the landing at the door going into the upper rooms, it would be just about impossible to get one of these up there.

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 5 (1,742 Views)
Dang Bendy you got delivery?

Pillow top is a plush top and luckily there no longer is a need to flip the newer mattresses.

I had to rent a uhaul, to put the king size in it. It was too big for the pickup the twin box springs no problem. The mattress no way.

Fair warning to anyone that does buy a new mattress and lives in an 1860-ish house Measure every conceivable dimension for wrapping a mattress up a narrow staircase, hallway, over bannister to reach a back bedroom.

I believe we cracked a bottle in celebration of the feat. New bed frames vs iron I hear you, beats the 70's idea of a mattress on the floor.

Frozen
Bronze Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 5 (1,756 Views)

I am assuming here that 'plush top' and 'pillow top' are different terms for the same type of mattress. We just recently needed a new mattress. The one we had was a Sealy extra firm, but it was a just a regular mattress because 15 years ago I don't know if they even had plush or pillow top ones. With the old one I would "rotate" the mattress at least once a month, that is to say turn it over and turn it around. It had become, as I called it, samuri mattress, that is lumpy and you could feel the spring poking at you as it had worn out to the point that sleeping on the sofa was way more comfortable Smiley Frustrated . Well, in the nearby town of Seneca, there was a Simmons mattress outlet and I bought and had delivered one of their extra firm pillow top mattresses and I think it's wonderful. However there is one thing I did not count on. The bed we sleep on is an iron bed that was made in the late 1800's and the distance from the floor to the bottom of the rail is a good 18 inces. The new mattress, as well as the box springs, are each a good 3 to 4 inches thicker than the old set; I didin't actually measure them at the time of delivery, so this is a guesstimate. Since Joe, my wife, has kinda short legs and is long waisted, she couldn't mount the mattress. So, to use equestrian terms, I had to construck her a mounting block so she could get into bed Smiley Embarassed . Even I, at 5' 11" have to give a little 'hop' to get my fanny up onto the mattress Smiley LOL . But I do have to admit that since we got the new set, I do sleep much better (during those short periods I do sleep) and so far wake up with little or no acheyness or back pain. So, whether you go with Sealy or Simmons, I would recomend you check out the plush/pillow top mattresses. I'm sure on a modern bed, which has a lower "ground clearance" you shouldn't have any problem getting up on it Smiley Wink .

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 5 (1,769 Views)
You and your wife will both have to test them out.

I / we tried name, no name, memory foams, and pick your numbers mattresses.

Everything but, Sealy Posturepedic Rainforest plush top extra firm, offered either no support or too little.

Pricey but, I'll buy again as long as I get support. At 6'4" and a few pounds my feet dangle the least over edge in the extra long king.

Try them out for 10-20 minutes, edge roll, still sleeping , etc comfortably after 8 years.With no sunken areas.

Frozen
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Suggestions for a new mattress

Message 5 of 5 (1,775 Views)

I'm 58 and am starting to wake up achey.  My wife, 49, is feeling the same.  We are looking for a new mattress.  Any suggestions?