New Health Care Bill Threatens Protection of Preexisting Conditions. Take Action

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Proper compensation for live-in companion

Message 1 of 4 (98 Views)

Sound like you have things under control, pretty much! Good luck.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 4 (100 Views)

Thank you. This is all very new and preliminary to me. One thing I did seek out for was to try and find someone of the same nationality as my mother. Speaks her language etc. My mother is filipina and relates well to other filipinos. Again, very preliminary. But, I believe this women is in the states on a work visa. Obtaining work in the medical field. Often they come over here as nurses and so forth. She's filipina like my mother. I know she's probably been screened initially at the federal level to get approved to work here. We both prefer filipinos because we know their work ethic etc. Not to say every filipino on a medical work visa here in the states is perfect. But, it's a good starting point I think. I'm a police officer as well. Have been in law enforcement 27 yrs. So my guard is through the roof when it concerns my mother. But again, getting closure on expenses is what I need to work on.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4 (105 Views)

@j421334c - It's good that you're addressing your mother's fear of being alone at night .. but what do you really know about this young woman? If your mother is independent, that means there must be cash, credit cards, checkbook & other valuables in the house. Have you discussed with your mother how they'll be kept secure at night, and when she goes out by herself at other times? "Compensation" for a live-in companion might be a good discussion to have with a social worker in your area, who might not only be familiar with standards, but might be able to talk to you about your mother's security. You probably also need to have rules about what the companion is able to use in the house, and if she's allowed to have guests.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Proper compensation for live-in companion

Message 4 of 4 (117 Views)

My mother is 74 years old and very independent. Does not need any assistance physically, is sound, drives a vehicle when she needs to etc. My mother is recently widowed. Her major problem is her fear of being alone at night. Not of loneliness. She's been this way for years and the thought of being alone at night is too much for her to handle. I've located a young lady who has very little formal experienc in caregiving. Other than caring for her own elderly family members in the past. I would provide her with free housing. Again, the level of care she would be required to do would literally be little to none. The security and piece of mind she woud be providing to my mother would be the bulk of the assistance needed. I'm trying to gauge what would be the proper compensation/pay. I want to compensate her properly.