Tune into AARP’s Facebook Live Resume Q&A Wednesday, 4 p.m. EDT | Facebook.com/AARP

Conversationalist

Re: Pre-planning of end of life decisions

Message 1 of 9 (422 Views)

I'm 68 and want to start paying on my cremation service. So far I haven't been able to find a place that will take pre payments. I cannot afford to pay it in full, unless I save up and that's not easy....because things come up, you know?

I live in Alaska, so end of life services aren't as ....plentiful.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I suppose if I make payments on life insurance, that would an option,if it really comes down to it. A few years ago, I couldn't even think about dying. Funny what a few years does to a senior brain.

I haven't been in AARP for quite a while. Things have changed a little.

Take Care Everyone!!

Kathryn

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 9 (433 Views)

Hi.....I am about to do the same thing.  I am going to get a price for a cremation from 2-3 close by repertable funeral businesses.  I will pruchase my own urn from some where on line.  Then I will pay for the service and get a signed contract from them saying "paid in full" and dated.  I will make copies and give one to each of my sons.  If you don't have children or living relatives, a copy can be left to a trusted friend or perhaps a lawyer or doctor.  Good luck.  When I finish setting this all up I will post how I made out and the cost.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 9 (459 Views)

wg6028 wrote:

Hello:

I am in my early sixties with no living relatives, and would like to make the necessary arrangements for what happens after I pass away.  I have two trusted friends who have power of attorney and the legal details are taken care of, but I would like to take care of the funeral/cremation plans myself so that they don't have to make decisions or add to what will already be alot of other responsibilties.

I have searched the website pretty thoroughly and not found any topics addressing these issues, so am hoping that the forum will point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Wendy

Welcome. 

Once I reached a certain age I began getting literature about preplanning and prepaying for funeral burial and or cremation services.  All were available through one of several different Funeral Home services.  Is that what you are inquiring about?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9 (696 Views)

wg6028 wrote:

Thank you all for your input, support and encouragement, it is really helpful.

I think that I have found a group of people that I will enjoy being a part of.

Wendy

@wg6028 There are some terrific people here and an incredible array of experiences from which to draw. Best to you, Epster

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 9 (702 Views)

Thank you all for your input, support and encouragement, it is really helpful.

I think that I have found a group of people that I will enjoy being a part of.

Wendy

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 9 (743 Views)

Hello, Wendy!

My story is not same as yours but following loss of dear one without plans I made mine maybe 15 years ago.

First, I researched medical research (e.g., donation) and found program that pays the freight following death to (and later following) their medical facility for medical research.

Then I found a gem generation facility resource who uses carbon science to turn ashes into jewels.

My daughters know of these plans; we discussed thoroughly once I had them in place. My reasoning is first, I don't want money spent on funeral; that's for the mourners, not me; please spend that on my grandkids!

Second, I spent hours talking to my dad at his grave site in what is now the worst side of town and don't want to be in "the worst side of town".

Third, when we pass, aside from first resonders (fire/police/hp/armed forces) have we accompolished anything worthy of service?

I do want people who knew me and appreciated what I am to smile and think of me kindly. Aside from that, do not want to be the reason for mourning or tears.

Thanks!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

Message 7 of 9 (752 Views)

Another method is to input 'funeral arrangements' in your browser's search field.

I got these and other articles when I did:

https://www.funeralwise.com/plan/how_to/

http://www.caring.com/funeral

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 8 of 9 (754 Views)

Good on you for wanting to make this easier for your loved ones.

Up in the right corner of the red logo bar going across your screen is a magnifying glass icon. Click on that and type 'funeral arrangements' and you get a bunch of articles covering that and other end of life issues.

Best wishes.

Info Seeker

Pre-planning of end of life decisions

Message 9 of 9 (779 Views)

Hello:

I am in my early sixties with no living relatives, and would like to make the necessary arrangements for what happens after I pass away.  I have two trusted friends who have power of attorney and the legal details are taken care of, but I would like to take care of the funeral/cremation plans myself so that they don't have to make decisions or add to what will already be alot of other responsibilties.

I have searched the website pretty thoroughly and not found any topics addressing these issues, so am hoping that the forum will point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Wendy