Social Butterfly

Re: National Convention 2015

Message 21 of 28 (4,248 Views)

I'm with you, John!!

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 28 (4,358 Views)

Janice,

I agree with just about everything you posted and attended many of the same talks and sessions in Miami. I was disappointed in the attendance and I blame some of this on the lack of notification in publications and online. I think the decision was made prior to the event for this to be the last one and the South Beach event suffered because of that decision.

I get so much information, meet so many interesting people, and have a change to find new best practices and ideas from Life@50+.

The company line from AARP seems to be that the local events is what people want and will be just as good, but I'm dubious that the events will be as rewarding to me.

John Campbell
Community Manager

Message 23 of 28 (4,390 Views)

Thank you for shaaring your opinion bout Life@50+, AARP’s National Event and Expo.  For many years, Life@50+ brought today’s AARP to life by showcasing the best of how people re-think life after 50.  Based on this record of success, and the feedback of our members, we’re taking a new approach going forward.

Our members have been telling us that they love what we do in their local communities, and we’ve decided to respond to that feedback and make local events our primary focus for the future.  This gives us the chance to be local and to offer variety throughout the year, not just once, at one grand event.  We’re sure that you will continue to enjoy these events and opportunities, as well.  You will still get up close and personal with us and experience all that AARP has to offer, and discover your real possibliitiesfor living your best life. 

We ask you to stay tuned as we work on these events, and for more information, invite you to go to http://local.aarp.org and type in the name of your town to see the events and offers right where you live.  A couple other online options would be to go www.aarp.org/events and click the link under “Stay Informed” to receive our Events Email Newsletter, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.  You can also visit the AARP Online Community discussion located at http://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-National-Event-Expo/bd-p/bg13 

AARPTeri
Info Seeker +

Message 24 of 28 (4,430 Views)
The AARP Life@50+ national convention was definite time and money well spent. I for one would make it a point to attend these going forward not only because they offered a world class presentation of products and services that are pertinent to me but because of the many opportunities I had to meet great people who are doing great things. Hopefully the AARP can find alternatives that will be relevant and exciting for the members of this vital organization.
Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 25 of 28 (4,425 Views)

Hi All - I was fortunate to attend the event in South Miami Beach and it was amazing.  It started off with a screening of the poignant film I'll See You In My Dreams with Blythe Danner on Thursday night and just got better.  I saw and heard so many wonderful celebrities - Robin Roberts, Ben Stein, Carla Hall, Ingrid Hoffman, Emilio Estefan, Alexander Dinelaris, Sam Elliott, Brett Haley, Rita Moreno, Jon Secada to name a few; and the Talent Show Friday night with Arsenio Hall, Chaka Khan, Kenny Loggins,  and more!  And of course the amazing show with Gloria Estefan on Saturday evening. The Events Team did itself proud.  I know that there will not be a national event in 2016, but I am hopeful that there will be one in 2017.  The rumors were buzzing while I was in Miami that it would be the last event and folks were really sad to learn that.  I don't believe that one can realize how meaningful the national event is to so many unless they are retired and see that the opportunity to attend such a varied entertaining and educational seminar is limited.

.  People plan their vacations around Life@50+ and meet up with their friends at the designated venue.  I feel that having two events in one year affected the overall attendance, however, I think that more people will come if there is only one per year.  Nancy Leamond - are you listening??

Janice Alpern

Info Seeker +

Message 26 of 28 (4,463 Views)

I was also disappointed to hear that there will be no more national events. This was my 7th and I have enjoyed them all because I got a chance to see different cities and meet members from all over the country, while getting very valuable information and getting to see so many well-known personalities and hear their stories. I have heard that more local events will be planned, but I will miss these great events. Our local chapters meet during the week and I hope to get involved after I retire.

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 28 (4,468 Views)

I strongly agreee. It was my first time. My mother and I made a belated Mother's Day trip out of it. Absolutely awesome...There must be another somehow......

Info Seeker

National Convention 2015

Message 28 of 28 (4,328 Views)

Just returned from the National Convention in Miami and I am very sorry to hear there are no future conventions set for the future.  For many like me the conventions give us an opportunity to explore new cities and places while meeting other AARP members and learning new things.  I am really sorry that the National staff made a discussion without a forum for members to discuss the benefits of the conventions.  I can understand the expenses for putting on a large convention but I also know the benefits for members who attended were great. Like to see a regional convention set for the future.  Did anyone attend the Miami or other Life at 50+ conventions? And how did it benefit you?v