Easy Ways to Turn July 4th Into a Longer Vacation. Find Out How at aarp.org/takeaday

Conversationalist

Re: National Convention 2015

Message 11 of 28 (3,372 Views)

Joyce and others,

Well, months have passed and I've seen no evidence of any of these local events. Has anyone been to any local events that even come close?

Happy New Year to all,

John

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 28 (3,383 Views)

I am very disappointed that you are not having a AARP convention.  I have only been to two, but they were wonderful.  Enjoyed going to different cities and exploring the sights and the convention itself,  I was just getting started and you stopped.....why?  I would have paid more to participate.

Sincerely, Joyce Adams

Morgantown, WV

jf6248 wrote:

I am Really sorry to hear about the end of the AARP Conventions. My first (and I guess Last) Convention was in San Diego. 

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 28 (3,585 Views)

At the top of the benefits you provided to me as a member was the National Convention.  I would have been glad to pay extra to attend if expenses were a problem.  What was the problem really? Saying we wanting more local programs is not a very popular premise according to the feedback I'm reading on the topic. The enthusiasm of the member volunteers at each event, the turnout for the main speaker events, and obviously the benefit to each city selected doesn't hold up having no convention as a better thing. I planned my last eight vacations around the conventions because I got inspired by the speakers, explored each city with group enthusiasm, and promoted AARP conventions to anyone who listened as OUR (the seniors in the communities) best representation of what belonging to AARP meant for us seeking a booster in our later years. YOU need to LISTEN to your membership BETTER, AARP! And by the way I wasn't sent that survey if one was taken...

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 28 (3,576 Views)

I clicked on the link you provided to see what opportunities are in my local area.  There are none.  The site provides a list of places to visit in my area and local volunteer opportunities.......nothing specifically for AARP members even slightly resembling a smaller version of the Life@50+ conventions.  

I still work full-time and volunteer.  I enjoyed the conventions because they gave me the opportunity to visit new places, make new friends, learn lots of useful information, hear interesting speakers and attend entertainment events that are not offered locally. (These conventions gave me the opportunity to hear Maya Angelou speak multiple times.  What an opportunity!!!)  I preferred the one annual convention that was held in the past, to the two shorter conventions that have been held recently.  I planned my vacations, so I could attend the attend the annual events.  My favorites were Las Vegas, New Orleans, Anaheim and Boston.

I will miss these events that highlighted the products and opportunities available to 50+ year-olds. Without these annual events, AARP will no longer feel like "real people/family".  It will be just another organization.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 28 (3,589 Views)

I went to the conference on New Orleans and had a good time and it was well organized.

Miami is on the east coast and I'm in Arizona so the timing has to be the right time of year..  

If they want to cut back to Bi-annual but keep something going might be a good idea.

Las Vegas gives everybody something that they like to do however I do like to travel and see other places in this beauiful country too.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 28 (3,700 Views)

It is disappointing that the national conventions will no longer be held. Although I was not able to attend every year, the ones that I did attend were enjoyable and a great opportunity for going to cities that I've never been to before.  While I understand the idea of having more regional and local events, those of us who don't live in larger cities will most likely not have the benefit of these smaller events. 

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 28 (3,714 Views)
This is so disappointing. I find that so many things I looked forward to in retirement are going away. This conference looked wonderful. I think staff felt it was too much work and conferences are. But they are a sure way to get people talking about issues. Very disappointed. I joined AARP with the intention of going in 2016. Couldn't this tear.
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 28 (2,279 Views)
I am sorry to hear you will not being doing a convention in the future. I had already started saving so that I could enjoy one. You mentioned more local events. I didn't realize we even had a local chapter. I sure never received any info. Pretty sad all the way around. I was looking forward to finally going on a trip.
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 28 (3,935 Views)

I am Really sorry to hear about the end of the AARP Conventions. My first (and I guess Last) Convention was in San Diego. 

Info Seeker +

Message 20 of 28 (4,139 Views)

Thanks AARPTeri for confirming what had largely been a rumor at the AARP Life@50+ national convention held at Miami Beach. I've checked the resources you have so kindly pointed out and while these may be in "development stage" I am still feeling a void here. Please make sure members voices here and otherwise are shared with AARP leadership. We all like and want a national event.