New Health Care Bill Threatens Protection of Preexisting Conditions. Take Action

Info Seeker

Re: National Convention 2015

Message 11 of 24 (3,511 Views)

I went to the conference on New Orleans and had a good time and it was well organized.

Miami is on the east coast and I'm in Arizona so the timing has to be the right time of year..  

If they want to cut back to Bi-annual but keep something going might be a good idea.

Las Vegas gives everybody something that they like to do however I do like to travel and see other places in this beauiful country too.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 24 (3,622 Views)

It is disappointing that the national conventions will no longer be held. Although I was not able to attend every year, the ones that I did attend were enjoyable and a great opportunity for going to cities that I've never been to before.  While I understand the idea of having more regional and local events, those of us who don't live in larger cities will most likely not have the benefit of these smaller events. 

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 24 (3,636 Views)
This is so disappointing. I find that so many things I looked forward to in retirement are going away. This conference looked wonderful. I think staff felt it was too much work and conferences are. But they are a sure way to get people talking about issues. Very disappointed. I joined AARP with the intention of going in 2016. Couldn't this tear.
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 24 (2,201 Views)
I am sorry to hear you will not being doing a convention in the future. I had already started saving so that I could enjoy one. You mentioned more local events. I didn't realize we even had a local chapter. I sure never received any info. Pretty sad all the way around. I was looking forward to finally going on a trip.
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 24 (3,857 Views)

I am Really sorry to hear about the end of the AARP Conventions. My first (and I guess Last) Convention was in San Diego. 

Info Seeker +

Message 16 of 24 (4,061 Views)

Thanks AARPTeri for confirming what had largely been a rumor at the AARP Life@50+ national convention held at Miami Beach. I've checked the resources you have so kindly pointed out and while these may be in "development stage" I am still feeling a void here. Please make sure members voices here and otherwise are shared with AARP leadership. We all like and want a national event. 

Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 24 (4,131 Views)

I'm with you, John!!

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 24 (4,241 Views)

Janice,

I agree with just about everything you posted and attended many of the same talks and sessions in Miami. I was disappointed in the attendance and I blame some of this on the lack of notification in publications and online. I think the decision was made prior to the event for this to be the last one and the South Beach event suffered because of that decision.

I get so much information, meet so many interesting people, and have a change to find new best practices and ideas from Life@50+.

The company line from AARP seems to be that the local events is what people want and will be just as good, but I'm dubious that the events will be as rewarding to me.

John Campbell
Community Manager

Message 19 of 24 (4,273 Views)

Thank you for shaaring your opinion bout Life@50+, AARP’s National Event and Expo.  For many years, Life@50+ brought today’s AARP to life by showcasing the best of how people re-think life after 50.  Based on this record of success, and the feedback of our members, we’re taking a new approach going forward.

Our members have been telling us that they love what we do in their local communities, and we’ve decided to respond to that feedback and make local events our primary focus for the future.  This gives us the chance to be local and to offer variety throughout the year, not just once, at one grand event.  We’re sure that you will continue to enjoy these events and opportunities, as well.  You will still get up close and personal with us and experience all that AARP has to offer, and discover your real possibliitiesfor living your best life. 

We ask you to stay tuned as we work on these events, and for more information, invite you to go to http://local.aarp.org and type in the name of your town to see the events and offers right where you live.  A couple other online options would be to go www.aarp.org/events and click the link under “Stay Informed” to receive our Events Email Newsletter, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.  You can also visit the AARP Online Community discussion located at http://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-National-Event-Expo/bd-p/bg13 

AARPTeri
Info Seeker +

Message 20 of 24 (4,313 Views)
The AARP Life@50+ national convention was definite time and money well spent. I for one would make it a point to attend these going forward not only because they offered a world class presentation of products and services that are pertinent to me but because of the many opportunities I had to meet great people who are doing great things. Hopefully the AARP can find alternatives that will be relevant and exciting for the members of this vital organization.