New Health Care Bill Threatens Protection of Preexisting Conditions. Take Action

Info Seeker

Re: National Convention 2015

Message 1 of 24 (133 Views)

I was JUST about to renew our membership as we were excited to see where the convention was going to be this year so we could plan our first trip only to find it's been cancelled for the last 2 years and no one has reconsidered doing them again?! What a disappointment! We've been members for 8 years, sad to say we won't be renewing.

Community Manager

Message 2 of 24 (330 Views)

We hope that this isn't the reason you would not renew your membership.  We have changed that but have many events at the local level - http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/events/ that might interest you.

There are many member benefits you get with renewal that are worth looking into which can be found here:  http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/services_discounts_list/

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 24 (336 Views)

I haven't checked in in a while, was hoping by some miracle there would again be an annual event😕 as that was my main draw ro AARP.  Since there is not, I am seriously rethinking my membership when it is time to renew😑

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 24 (2,659 Views)

I am so disappointed to learn that there is no AARP national convention planned for this year!  My husband and I attended the event in Orlando several years ago, and had the best time!  We would have had the time to go again this year.....so sorry that the powers that be decided to stop planning them....although I know it had to be a daunting task! It was so well done.  

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 24 (3,060 Views)

Canceling the annual conventions is a mistake.  I think everyone would be willing to pay more.  We have been to last 8 of them as starting as soon as we discover them.  We talked AARP with everyone who would listen from the end of each all year long until the next one.  We would have had at least 4-5 more sets of couples and/or families joining us this year had it continued.  "I repeat...AARP...canceling the conventions is a big mistake that I hope will be corrected by reconsidering and reinstating.".

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 24 (3,224 Views)

So I took your advice and went to the local web page that you said would be replacing the Life@50+ Conventions. Ummm, are you serious? I have been reading about this convention for many years with great anticipation of the day my wife and I could attend one of them. We had planned on making it a road trip regardless of where it was in the country. Like so many have said, it gives us an opportunity to see new places, meet new people and LEARN things we didn't know. We are both now retired and were looking forward to taking our time making these trips. I travelled extensively in my job for 15 years. I'm done with airplanes and airports. Done. Perhaps you could have provided post-convention coverage that would tell all the wonderful things that took place. Maybe you could have made it easier to find information on upcoming conventions. It was NEVER easy to find information on your website. For my wife and I, this is a huge bummer and it gives us one more reason to wonder what AARP really does for us. Please reconsider and market the heck out it so it will bring a crowd to support it. The local emphasis you say will replace it is a joke.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 24 (3,229 Views)

Joyce and others,

Well, months have passed and I've seen no evidence of any of these local events. Has anyone been to any local events that even come close?

Happy New Year to all,

John

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 24 (3,248 Views)

I am very disappointed that you are not having a AARP convention.  I have only been to two, but they were wonderful.  Enjoyed going to different cities and exploring the sights and the convention itself,  I was just getting started and you stopped.....why?  I would have paid more to participate.

Sincerely, Joyce Adams

Morgantown, WV

jf6248 wrote:

I am Really sorry to hear about the end of the AARP Conventions. My first (and I guess Last) Convention was in San Diego. 

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 24 (3,454 Views)

At the top of the benefits you provided to me as a member was the National Convention.  I would have been glad to pay extra to attend if expenses were a problem.  What was the problem really? Saying we wanting more local programs is not a very popular premise according to the feedback I'm reading on the topic. The enthusiasm of the member volunteers at each event, the turnout for the main speaker events, and obviously the benefit to each city selected doesn't hold up having no convention as a better thing. I planned my last eight vacations around the conventions because I got inspired by the speakers, explored each city with group enthusiasm, and promoted AARP conventions to anyone who listened as OUR (the seniors in the communities) best representation of what belonging to AARP meant for us seeking a booster in our later years. YOU need to LISTEN to your membership BETTER, AARP! And by the way I wasn't sent that survey if one was taken...

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 24 (3,456 Views)

I clicked on the link you provided to see what opportunities are in my local area.  There are none.  The site provides a list of places to visit in my area and local volunteer opportunities.......nothing specifically for AARP members even slightly resembling a smaller version of the Life@50+ conventions.  

I still work full-time and volunteer.  I enjoyed the conventions because they gave me the opportunity to visit new places, make new friends, learn lots of useful information, hear interesting speakers and attend entertainment events that are not offered locally. (These conventions gave me the opportunity to hear Maya Angelou speak multiple times.  What an opportunity!!!)  I preferred the one annual convention that was held in the past, to the two shorter conventions that have been held recently.  I planned my vacations, so I could attend the attend the annual events.  My favorites were Las Vegas, New Orleans, Anaheim and Boston.

I will miss these events that highlighted the products and opportunities available to 50+ year-olds. Without these annual events, AARP will no longer feel like "real people/family".  It will be just another organization.