Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Community Manager

Re: National Convention 2015

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 28 (1,072 Views)

@WhoisJohnGalt,  check out this AARP Block party coming your way:

Detroit River Days, June 23-25, 2017

The AARP Block Party cruises into Michigan for Detroit River Days, June 23-25. You bring your excitement — we’ll bring the fun, prizes and much more! Get to know a different side of AARP — what we do might surprise you!

AARP Online Community Team
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 28 (1,082 Views)

I've talked with many people here in Boston about this issue and have come to the conclusion that these events were just too expensive and they did not get enough of a payback on this large scale events. I get the same old line that they will be doing more regional events, but I've not seen any evidence of this in the past two years.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 28 (1,085 Views)

I so agree!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 28 (1,096 Views)

I must add my voice and exclaim disappointment at discontinuing the conventions.  There is nothing at the local level that compares.  And I've always supported my local communities, so that response seems to be a cop-out.  So sorry AARP isn't listening to the voice of paying members as it relates to the conventions.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 28 (1,280 Views)

I was JUST about to renew our membership as we were excited to see where the convention was going to be this year so we could plan our first trip only to find it's been cancelled for the last 2 years and no one has reconsidered doing them again?! What a disappointment! We've been members for 8 years, sad to say we won't be renewing.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 6 of 28 (1,478 Views)

We hope that this isn't the reason you would not renew your membership.  We have changed that but have many events at the local level - http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/events/ that might interest you.

There are many member benefits you get with renewal that are worth looking into which can be found here:  http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/services_discounts_list/

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Message 7 of 28 (1,483 Views)

I haven't checked in in a while, was hoping by some miracle there would again be an annual event😕 as that was my main draw ro AARP.  Since there is not, I am seriously rethinking my membership when it is time to renew😑

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 28 (3,806 Views)

I am so disappointed to learn that there is no AARP national convention planned for this year!  My husband and I attended the event in Orlando several years ago, and had the best time!  We would have had the time to go again this year.....so sorry that the powers that be decided to stop planning them....although I know it had to be a daunting task! It was so well done.  

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 28 (4,204 Views)

Canceling the annual conventions is a mistake.  I think everyone would be willing to pay more.  We have been to last 8 of them as starting as soon as we discover them.  We talked AARP with everyone who would listen from the end of each all year long until the next one.  We would have had at least 4-5 more sets of couples and/or families joining us this year had it continued.  "I repeat...AARP...canceling the conventions is a big mistake that I hope will be corrected by reconsidering and reinstating.".

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 28 (4,368 Views)

So I took your advice and went to the local web page that you said would be replacing the Life@50+ Conventions. Ummm, are you serious? I have been reading about this convention for many years with great anticipation of the day my wife and I could attend one of them. We had planned on making it a road trip regardless of where it was in the country. Like so many have said, it gives us an opportunity to see new places, meet new people and LEARN things we didn't know. We are both now retired and were looking forward to taking our time making these trips. I travelled extensively in my job for 15 years. I'm done with airplanes and airports. Done. Perhaps you could have provided post-convention coverage that would tell all the wonderful things that took place. Maybe you could have made it easier to find information on upcoming conventions. It was NEVER easy to find information on your website. For my wife and I, this is a huge bummer and it gives us one more reason to wonder what AARP really does for us. Please reconsider and market the heck out it so it will bring a crowd to support it. The local emphasis you say will replace it is a joke.