Are You Ready for the Next Natural Disaster? AARP Live Can Help You Get Prepared Tonight at 10 p.m. Watch here

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP worth it to ANYONE?

Message 1 of 11 (2,694 Views)

You may benefit from a few of the discounts but to be honest I find it to be marginally beneficial.   Also, most of AARP advocacy for seniors is for seniors that rely heavily on government benefits.  Remember, if you are retired and are paying your own way with 401Ks and other savings vehicle AARP is really working against you lobbying for higher taxes on your income from your savings and investments.  AARP is really lobbying to take more of your retirement savings and benefits than they are lobbying to help you avoid higher taxes.  I plan to end my membership at the end of my membership.  I do not need anyone trying to raise taxes on what I have invested and saved when I was working.  If you are a liberal and you have not invested to fund your retirement then AARP is probably a good organization for you.   But if you have been diligent and responsible and have funded your retirement adequately AARP is working against your best interests.  Spend your money on an AAA membership and you will get at least as good if not better discounts and AAA does not lobby to have the government take more of the money you worked hard for.  AARP is another liberal organization that thinks they should encourage the government to redistribute your wealth to those that did not work as hard or invested their earning like you did.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 11 (13,891 Views)

IMO this forum is just another sales tool outlet for there spamming & soliciting for profit & is totally bios & prejudice toward all other forums.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 11 (14,545 Views)

You are a plant.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 4 of 11 (26,127 Views)

AARP exists, mainly, to sell older folks products and services they may, or may not, actually need.  The powers that be know they have a captive audience, a targeted demographic, as it were, and they work it.  The political arm of AARP has done some good for older folks at the state and national level, but the money behind these positive actions come from the numerous "partners" who get in on sales and advertising opportunities via the organization's mailing list.  One needs only to sign up for AARP Membership to experience, almost immediately, a flood of targeted junk mail in one's mailbox and email account, attesting to my main assertion, here.  Does the end, as in positive legislation for older folks, justify the means, as in selling said folks unneeded products and services?  I guess each of us decides for ourselves.  I have dropped my membership, a few times, out of disgust with AARP's sales techniques and (perceived) "trickiness."  I rejoin out of a sense of comraderie with my peer group.  Worth it?  Marginally so, this time around, so here I am.  That being said, I'm careful to pay (little) attention to each of the latest pieces of junk mail offering me, "An incredible value for individuals 65 and older!"  You be careful, too, OK?

Info Seeker +

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 11 (26,198 Views)

Hi Jim,  

I have found value in my membership - but I know it's an individual thing in that what works for some may not work for others. 

I hope that you were able to find the information on Alzheimers drugs that you orignally posted about.  Best of luck to you - Ria

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 11 (26,221 Views)
Riamax.....OK?...you are finding value....I haven't. They bug me to buy their insurance pkgs....I don't find ANY discounts to any retail outlets that I want to use. I stopped their health insurance...connected to United Health, b/c of average service and in 2015 much higher prices for prescription drugs....
Good for you if you like it...it has fallen way out of my cross-hairs for now.......Jim B
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 11 (26,236 Views)

RiaMax wrote:

Hi Jim,

Just saw your post and wanted to reply.  I joined AARP last year and my experience has been that I have certainly got a lot for the $16 the membership cost me.  But I can see how you might be frustrated with some of the areas of the website.

The online forum areas I find to be very hard to search through but I find that to be the nature of on-line forums in general.  I usually use the google search engine for most of my research - that way I am not limited to just one web site.

In the spirit of AARP community to offer you some assistance, I did do a google search of Alzheimer drugs and here's a link from the Alzheimer Association that might be helpful to you:

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_standard_prescriptions.asp

The site above lists the types of drugs, the brand names, and any side affects.  It's a good article to start with.  

And just so you know, I don't work for AARP.  But I do very much love having my membership.  By using it for the discounts and give-aways in the Rewards for Goods program, my membership has been paid for many times over.  The information that is presented in the Rewards for Good Earning Points has been so educational to me in many areas.  But again, when I need to do some targeted research such as what you are doing - then I use a internet search engine for that.

I use my AARP at Walgreens, Denny's and Sears for valuable discounts. And I have won numerous gift cards on the Rewards for Good site just by logging on and being automatically entered into the sweepstakes.  

If I can share any other tips to help you, please let me know.  Again, I'm not meaning for this to be an AARP commercial, but I'm just wanting to share my experience and to offer some tips to you that might be helpful. 

Ria

RiaMax,

Are you kidding me? You must be connected to AARP in some mannner other than membership.

First of all, who would pay $16.00 a year for an AARP membership? I negotiated with their customer service and my membership was $31, less than double what you paid, but I am paid from July of last year through September of 2019... a total of 5 years and 3 months. You would pay $80.00+ for the same amount of time. Boy, did they see you coming.

I had 8 out of 9 restaurants in my area be CLOSED, OUT OF BUSINESS, BANKRUPT when I arrived with my supposedly valuable "Rewards For Good" coupons. WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!

The discounts that you get through AARP for other entities such as Denny's and Walgreens can be beaten using other avenues.

You are the only person that I have ever heard winning a sweepstakes. Most people complain that they can't even get the results of the sweepstakes in a timely manner. When they question AARP about this; they get convoluted answers.

The insurance programs, travel programs, and auto programs are all inferior to other resources. If you really did "targeted research", you would know this.

AARP's membership offers very little for the money. It is a self serving advertising venue that preys on people and tricks them into thinking they get value for their money.

Info Seeker +

Message 8 of 11 (26,252 Views)

Hi Jim,

Just saw your post and wanted to reply.  I joined AARP last year and my experience has been that I have certainly got a lot for the $16 the membership cost me.  But I can see how you might be frustrated with some of the areas of the website.

The online forum areas I find to be very hard to search through but I find that to be the nature of on-line forums in general.  I usually use the google search engine for most of my research - that way I am not limited to just one web site.

In the spirit of AARP community to offer you some assistance, I did do a google search of Alzheimer drugs and here's a link from the Alzheimer Association that might be helpful to you:

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_standard_prescriptions.asp

The site above lists the types of drugs, the brand names, and any side affects.  It's a good article to start with.  

And just so you know, I don't work for AARP.  But I do very much love having my membership.  By using it for the discounts and give-aways in the Rewards for Goods program, my membership has been paid for many times over.  The information that is presented in the Rewards for Good Earning Points has been so educational to me in many areas.  But again, when I need to do some targeted research such as what you are doing - then I use a internet search engine for that.

I use my AARP at Walgreens, Denny's and Sears for valuable discounts. And I have won numerous gift cards on the Rewards for Good site just by logging on and being automatically entered into the sweepstakes.  

If I can share any other tips to help you, please let me know.  Again, I'm not meaning for this to be an AARP commercial, but I'm just wanting to share my experience and to offer some tips to you that might be helpful. 

Ria

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 11 (26,281 Views)

You got a point.

drawpoker wrote:

You are certainly not alone in those sentiments.   Recently,  one of the high-qualtity message boards,  Bogleheads dot org,  had a thread   "Is AARP Membership Worthwhile"? 

LOL,  boy did AARP get trashed.  I think there was maybe 2 positive responses out of 50 or 60.

And, one of those was a guy who flew to UK annually,  and he got a $400 discount,  think it was a credit card/airline/ combo deal with British Airways on a business-class ticket,  for AARP membership.    But,  how many of us plan to fly to London every year?   

FWIW,  you don't have to be an AARP member to post on this website.  Despite the name,  anyone can join.  Probably why the advertising is so pervasive,  they are trying to snare all they can who are not card-carrying AARP members yet.   

You got a point.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 11 (26,300 Views)

You are certainly not alone in those sentiments.   Recently,  one of the high-qualtity message boards,  Bogleheads dot org,  had a thread   "Is AARP Membership Worthwhile"? 

LOL,  boy did AARP get trashed.  I think there was maybe 2 positive responses out of 50 or 60.

And, one of those was a guy who flew to UK annually,  and he got a $400 discount,  think it was a credit card/airline/ combo deal with British Airways on a business-class ticket,  for AARP membership.    But,  how many of us plan to fly to London every year?   

FWIW,  you don't have to be an AARP member to post on this website.  Despite the name,  anyone can join.  Probably why the advertising is so pervasive,  they are trying to snare all they can who are not card-carrying AARP members yet.